• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hi!

Hi everyone,

Just joined the website. Haven't got an RC yet, but am looking at purchasing one for my son for his 9th birthday. Never been into RC before at this level, so experience and guidance would be very welcome. My name's Steve and live in Newcastle upon Tyne area.

Would love some recommendations. Ideally looking for a MT, I have a a budget, ideally don't want to spend a load in case he doesn't like it. I was looking at the Maverick Quantum Flux with 2 x 7.4V 4000mAh batteries, a charger, and battery bag from ModelSport. The price is quite a bit more than I'm wanting to spending (£250. Ideally looking around the £150 point I think would be ideal. I mean, I can afford it, it's just I'm not sure if he'd like it so is it worth buying lower say a Quantum brushed version), but I personally can't get over the whole brushed vs brushless (which seems miles better, quicker, etc.). I think the speed will keep him interested in it, but having a hard time convincing the Mrs. to pull the trigger on it (for reasons above).

Thoughts, suggestions, comments on a postcard please! Really torn on what to do for the best.

Kind regards,

Steve

EDIT: Things to consider for recommends

• MUST be a Truck, ideally a Monster Truck
    • Not Pink
  • Ideal price would be £100-150 all in (batteries, truck, controller, etc.)
  • Need 45min - 1hr run time
  • Looking to run it on a large open field
Edited by Seminole81

It might be worth buying a used Chinese mass produced 16th scale mini MT style RC like a Xinlehong Q901/2/3. Or a WL toys offering or similar. 

If you can get hold of one for £40-50, or even buy brand new for £70, even if your son doesn't get into it, not much lost. And if he does get into the hobby, you've not exhausted, or wasted a fair chunk of money on something entry level. 

At that price point, you generally get a RTR vehicle, with a lipo and a charger. Sure it's not the best setup, but they'll do as intended for the most part. 

I have one of these trucks I speak of, basically tore it apart, learnt how everything works, put it back together with more power...got bored and bought 1/8 scale for some crazy power...had I bought something more expensive as a n00b, it would had been harder to justify upgrading so soon...

Edited by Bert_w164
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bert_w164 said:

It might be worth buying a used Chinese mass produced 16th scale mini MT style RC like a Xinlehong Q901/2/3. Or a WL toys offering or similar. 

If you can get hold of one for £40-50, or even buy brand new for £70, even if your son doesn't get into it, not much lost. And if he does get into the hobby, you've not exhausted, or wasted a fair chunk of money on something entry level. 

At that price point, you generally get a RTR vehicle, with a lipo and a charger. Sure it's not the best setup, but they'll do as intended for the most part. 

I have one of these trucks I speak of, basically tore it apart, learnt how everything works, put it back together with more power...got bored and bought 1/8 scale for some crazy power...had I bought something more expensive as a n00b, it would had been harder to justify upgrading so soon...

I think we're looking for something more like the 1/10th scale. Something bigger, and quick. I think 20 mph would be quick enough (not entirely sure, obviously for myself, faster the better, but I know that's not always a good thing for beginners).

Yeah, I'm looking for a RTR.

I don't see any of those Xinlehong. Was looking at ModelSport (and have to say they've been excellent with the questions, so I'd like to buy from them potentially if it's possible.) Like you say, probably not the best setup from a quick Google, but it would get the charger, LiPo for a first off and it's also brushless so I'm guessing it'll be fairly quick. Haven't heard of the WL Toys either to be honest. Firm believer in buy cheap, buy twice as well, although I do know these are entry level RCs. Not sure how much he'd be in a hurry to upgrade the actual RC, but maybe just parts.

What about a FTX Carnage or a Maverick Phantom (or the brushed version of the Quantum)? I know they're not brushless, and don't come with a LiPo, but would still offer some speed? They also come with a charger (mind, slow trickle charger) and a small battery, which would probably mean purchasing an additional battery or two, so back up to £150 or so. Looks like the Carnage can also take either LiPo or Ni-** batteries whereas the Maverick's can't? I mean there is a 1/18 option of the Maverick iON, but I can't see that being as quick as the other two, but the price is much better.  I did just find another cheaper version looking around, one called the XLF X03 which is brushless for about £120.

Quite difficult as my wife is saying it has to be a MT. I think he'd like a Truggy or even a buggy, but she's adamant it's got to be a MT so it really limits choices.

EDIT: Also, for reference of where it'd be running we have a massive field near our house so something with decent clearance would be best, which again leads to the MT range as well.

Edited by Seminole81

10th scale MT at the price point of £150 for all in is buying cheap - that's not a snobbish remark the brush less MT scene isn't cheap. 

I looked at similar items myself and saw a theme of needing a lot of upgrades or there always being something that'll need attention/upgrade until I hit the price point of Arrma/Traxxas etc. At that point, a toy car (how I see it myself) just wasn't worth the money and I went for another buggy instead.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bert_w164 said:

10th scale MT at the price point of £150 for all in is buying cheap - that's not a snobbish remark the brush less MT scene isn't cheap. 

I looked at similar items myself and saw a theme of needing a lot of upgrades or there always being something that'll need attention/upgrade until I hit the price point of Arrma/Traxxas etc. At that point, a toy car (how I see it myself) just wasn't worth the money and I went for another buggy instead.

Yeah, I figured as much. £150 for a brushed MT with LiPo. Like you say, not sure it's worth it considering I know I'll need upgrades in the long term.

There's a brushless Carnage truggy that is £199 and is RTR with a battery and charger, just not sure. I mean for £230 I could get the Quantum Flux with 2 batteries. I know, it's an entry level MT and will require some upgrades, but it's just to bash around a large field really. It's just going up in price and I'm really hesitant in pulling the trigger on something over £150 for him when it could just end up sitting...ughhhh, need to speak with the big boss (wife) and think about it some more maybe.

Thank you for your help. I'll 100% look into those cheaper Chinese brands. Like you say, if he loves it and it takes off, then can always upgrade to something a bit more robust/better.

The Maverick Quantum flux is well worth the money. Quality is pretty good and they are great for a beginner especially if just running on a 2s lipo. I'd stay away from the FTX Carnage as myself & many others here on the forum have had bad experiences with them.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, James RC said:

The Maverick Quantum flux is well worth the money. Quality is pretty good and they are great for a beginner especially if just running on a 2s lipo. I'd stay away from the FTX Carnage as myself & many others here on the forum have had bad experiences with them.

Yeah, thank for the info. I've looked quite a bit into the Quantum Flux and really like the looks of it, etc. for him. It's just fairly expensive for a first. Is the Quantum (brushed version) just as good, but not as quick? Or is it worth the £70/80 extra to just go for the Flux because of the LiPo. URGH, decisions! Would be so much easier if I knew he'd love it and take to it. I think I'll like it no matter what to be honest...but then it becomes a toy for me and not my little lad which is what my wife keeps hinting at as I'm pushing for the Flux haha!

7 minutes ago, Seminole81 said:

Yeah, thank for the info. I've looked quite a bit into the Quantum Flux and really like the looks of it, etc. for him. It's just fairly expensive for a first. Is the Quantum (brushed version) just as good, but not as quick? Or is it worth the £70/80 extra to just go for the Flux because of the LiPo. URGH, decisions! Would be so much easier if I knew he'd love it and take to it. I think I'll like it no matter what to be honest...but then it becomes a toy for me and not my little lad which is what my wife keeps hinting at as I'm pushing for the Flux haha!

You're welcome mate. Yes, the brushed version might be a better option for your son as it won't be quite as fast (20-25mph maximum). I'm pretty sure that it's just the electronics that differ between the brushed & brushless versions, and all other components are the same. What you will find though is that although the brushed motor will be slower, it will actually drain the batteries faster, so you won't be getting the 45min - 1 hour run times that you're after. But of course than can be solved by simply buying 3 or 4 batteries. Nimh batteries are quite a bit cheaper than lipos though so will probably cost you about the same as buying two 2s lipos. 

2 minutes ago, James RC said:

You're welcome mate. Yes, the brushed version might be a better option for your son as it won't be quite as fast (20-25mph maximum). I'm pretty sure that it's just the electronics that differ between the brushed & brushless versions, and all other components are the same. What you will find though is that although the brushed motor will be slower, it will actually drain the batteries faster, so you won't be getting the 45min - 1 hour run times that you're after. But of course than can be solved by simply buying 3 or 4 batteries. Nimh batteries are quite a bit cheaper than lipos though so will probably cost you about the same as buying two 2s lipos. 

Yeah, I'm so torn on what to do to be honest. I did see that you can turn down the speed on the controller on the Flux, and I assume it's the same for all RCs. I think that would be the first job haha! I did wonder what the difference was other than the electrics to be honest. I think there's a few other little bits like paint/wheels, but that's not a massive issue.

Might have a look into that XLF one I found as that looked alright (still not as visually appealing as the Quantum Flux). But for me, I'm still pretty sold on the Flux. I've got a few weeks until his birthday...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Seminole81 said:

Yeah, I'm so torn on what to do to be honest. I did see that you can turn down the speed on the controller on the Flux, and I assume it's the same for all RCs. I think that would be the first job haha! I did wonder what the difference was other than the electrics to be honest. I think there's a few other little bits like paint/wheels, but that's not a massive issue.

Might have a look into that XLF one I found as that looked alright (still not as visually appealing as the Quantum Flux). But for me, I'm still pretty sold on the Flux. I've got a few weeks until his birthday...

Yes you can turn it down on the transmitter, very handy for younger kids when they're just learning to drive. It's not the same for all RC's though. Some cheapies won't have that function, but then they're unlikely to be very fast models any way. 

The XLF I would also not recommend. My friend has one & he broke it within the first 15 minutes. He fixed it up, brought it out again a week later and then it broke again, in a different way, in the first 10 minutes. Baring in mind that these were only pretty minor crashes it was really quite disappointing for my friend, who is also fairly new to the hobby. Now I know everybody's experience will differ, but because of what i've seen I would just stay clear of them. They aren't much cheaper than the Quantum any way, which quality wise is leaps & bounds above.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Hi and welcome to the forum :cheers:

Thank you! 🙂

1 hour ago, James RC said:

Yes you can turn it down on the transmitter, very handy for younger kids when they're just learning to drive. It's not the same for all RC's though. Some cheapies won't have that function, but then they're unlikely to be very fast models any way. 

The XLF I would also not recommend. My friend has one & he broke it within the first 15 minutes. He fixed it up, brought it out again a week later and then it broke again, in a different way, in the first 10 minutes. Baring in mind that these were only pretty minor crashes it was really quite disappointing for my friend, who is also fairly new to the hobby. Now I know everybody's experience will differ, but because of what i've seen I would just stay clear of them. They aren't much cheaper than the Quantum any way, which quality wise is leaps & bounds above.

Ah, good to know. Like I said, I would of had to do a bit of research into them. I've seen decent reviews of the Quantum Flux and it seems to really rip on a 2S LiPo.

Thank you for the warm welcome and advice 😁

• Like 1

Maverick iON any good?

EDIT: Looks like my budget may be set around £120 for a first car. Wife rules 😅

NEWEST EDIT: After humming at her, got the go ahead for £230 😂

Edited by Seminole81
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Right so this is what I'm looking at. Pretty much between these two I think.

Maverick Strada MT Brushless RTR Monster Truck - Red MV12623 (modelsport.co.uk) - £189, includes a NiMh 3000mAh battery and charger.

Maverick Quantum MT Flux 1/10 4WD Monster Truck - Blue/Orange MV150200 (modelsport.co.uk) - £159, doesn't include anything extra, would need 2 batteries and a charger more than likely .

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/core-rc-4000mahr-7-4v-30-60c-2s-lipo/rc-car-products/388538 - 2s LiPo battery I was looking at £26.99

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/etronix-powerpal-peak-plus-ac-nimh-lipo-1-3-5a-charger/rc-car-products/388544 - LiPo charger £23.74

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/arrowmax-lipo-safe-bag-185x75x-60mm-/rc-car-products/390449 - LiPo Safe Bag - £7.99

This is what I'd look at to power the RCs, £58.72 in total for 1 off, £85.71 for an additional LiPo.

Flux with above, but 2 LiPo batteries for £244.71

Strada, but 1 LiPo battery and the other NiMh battery that's included, would be £247.72

Leaning towards Flux with 2 LiPo, because 2 LiPo 😂 and 3s capable. Actually just looked at the specs, looks like Flux will be slightly quicker as well?

Edited by Seminole81

The Quantums suspension arms snap easier than breadsticks (have a look on Facebook at the Maverick group chats, it's all people seem to talk about)

I'd go for the Strada every time, older design but parts are chap as chips and readily available.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Darren Frosty said:

The Quantums suspension arms snap easier than breadsticks (have a look on Facebook at the Maverick group chats, it's all people seem to talk about)

I'd go for the Strada every time, older design but parts are chap as chips and readily available.

Yeah, I think I read the new + version of the Quantum they've upgraded these? Could be wrong.

I'm torn on this 😂 wonder if I just ask the little lad which one he prefers...it is "his" after all 😉😂

Thank you for the information though. 100% food for thought.

Edited by Seminole81

Hi, welcome to MSUK 👍, have you thought about tamiya stuff? The lunchbox/pumpkin are fun bits of kit, reasonably quick(ish) they wheelie, and are within your budget

48 minutes ago, Cleon73 said:

Hi, welcome to MSUK 👍, have you thought about tamiya stuff? The lunchbox/pumpkin are fun bits of kit, reasonably quick(ish) they wheelie, and are within your budget

Thank you! 

Can’t say I have to be honest. I know my wife said she really wants a MT version for him so I’ve kind of stuck to that and also the run time needs to be 45 minutes or so. I would of had the Subaru you’ve got, but it was out of stock (I had a real life version of a Hawkeye a few years ago) and must remember “it’s for my son” 😂

1 minute ago, Seminole81 said:

Thank you! 

Can’t say I have to be honest. I know my wife said she really wants a MT version for him so I’ve kind of stuck to that and also the run time needs to be 45 minutes or so. I would of had the Subaru you’ve got, but it was out of stock (I had a real life version of a Hawkeye a few years ago) and must remember “it’s for my son” 😂

Is it really 'for your son' lol, big boys toys mate, broaden your horizons, tamiya is (reasonably) cheap and good stuff, I think it's great for what it is 👍

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Cleon73 said:

Is it really 'for your son' lol, big boys toys mate, broaden your horizons, tamiya is (reasonably) cheap and good stuff, I think it's great for what it is 👍

Haha exactly. Yeah, it is for him to be fair, but I play on being the one to fix it and also have a few goes myself as well 👍🏻😊

• Like 1

I can recommend the maverick quantum flux Mt.  Got one myself. Brilliant car. Slightly above your budget.  But definitely worth the extra money for you.  Start off on a 2s battery.  Then move up to 3s once you both get the hang of it. 

Planty of people on the forum have them.   And will more then happy to help you fix any issues 

• Like 1

heya and welcome to the forum, consider this one https://www.modelsport.co.uk/corally-triton-sp-2wd-monster-truck-1-10-brushed-rtr/rc-car-products/444076

it does not come with a battery or a charger though as all the money is in the truck.

here is a thread i made on it

for a ready to run truck at this price range it is unbeatable imo, the esc can also take lipo batterys i reccomend 2s and do not touch 3s 🙂

put a brushless system in my one recently and it does this, the stock one is much slower but you get an idea

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 1

Hadn’t looked at it to be honest. But the 2WD I’m not keen on for the first car for him. Think it really needs to be a 4WD for controllability for the little lad. I had looked at the Traxxas Stampede as well as the HPI Jumpshot, but same idea, 2WD. Also prefer the looks of the Flux.

Loads of info about on the Flux and it looks a decent choice so I’m happy with going for that one 😊👍🏻

thanks for the all tips, suggestions and being so welcoming!

• Like 2