• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Not quite a tank.....

Gaz!

My commander would've torn me apart if 20 years ago i brought back a tank that had the track sitting like that. There's a tensioner somewhere, i bet.

It certainly looks cool and is something different.

• Like 1

What sort of control input do you have?

I have seen a few dual ESC setups in the trank world to control tracks, but the  setup I use on my tank uses a control board to vary the drive from a single radio source...so it drives like you would expect it. The board also uses a standard Spektrum receiver to send the signals to teh board.

I would guess your radio gear issue would be best solved by asking around in the RC tank world...but I would think if you are going to use a different radio...you are going to have to change the electrics

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nitroholic said:

What sort of control input do you have?

I have seen a few dual ESC setups in the trank world to control tracks, but the  setup I use on my tank uses a control board to vary the drive from a single radio source...so it drives like you would expect it. The board also uses a standard Spektrum receiver to send the signals to teh board.

I would guess your radio gear issue would be best solved by asking around in the RC tank world...but I would think if you are going to use a different radio...you are going to have to change the electrics

They sell a V tail splitter, it will allow you to use normal electronics and a wheel remote...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mtroniks-V-Tail-Tank-Track-Mixer-For-RC-Tanks-And-Tracked-Robots-/142346806199?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

• Like 1

Hi guys, thanks for the kind words :good:

found the track tensioner (was pretty obvious to be fair lol) and now sorted that.

@Alex97 your spot on mate, i made a hardbody for it too.

if truth be told, I look at all these new “scale” crawlers available and I’m 100% sure I couldn’t do better than what I’ve already got, not that the Ssd trail king doesn’t look good.

hmm ive read about tail mixers and boards etc. what are they like to set up? As for the dx5r being able to do it, don’t suppose you have any idea of a guide?

if I have to change electrics that’s fine, won’t be straight away. I had thought about 1 dual motor esc (hobbywing one) and somehow cutting power in a linear way to each motor according to which way you want to go if that makes sense?

ive zapped a battery and its having its maiden voyage today hopefully...

4 hours ago, Gaz! said:

Hi guys, thanks for the kind words :good:

found the track tensioner (was pretty obvious to be fair lol) and now sorted that.

@Alex97 your spot on mate, i made a hardbody for it too.

if truth be told, I look at all these new “scale” crawlers available and I’m 100% sure I couldn’t do better than what I’ve already got, not that the Ssd trail king doesn’t look good.

hmm ive read about tail mixers and boards etc. what are they like to set up? As for the dx5r being able to do it, don’t suppose you have any idea of a guide?

if I have to change electrics that’s fine, won’t be straight away. I had thought about 1 dual motor esc (hobbywing one) and somehow cutting power in a linear way to each motor according to which way you want to go if that makes sense?

ive zapped a battery and its having its maiden voyage today hopefully...

Can't comment as never used it but they're been making them for a while and I'm sure when I was looking for a solution these were rated highly but it was about 6 years ago. 

• Like 1

Well, after the tension was set a bit tighter, it does drive much better too, still can’t drive in a straight line though lol, this was a indoor test too as it’s far too cold outside, don’t want any broken plastics as parts back-up is next to nothing....

I think I’d be a hell of a lot happier if I could use my dx5r to finish it off so to say, still not found it a spot to live either, still on my desk at the minute.

23 hours ago, Gaz! said:

Tail mixers are a doddle pal! Swapped my Pistonbully electrics to twin ESC  a tail mixer and works with my DX3 & flysky.

Tail mixer has 2 sets of pins and 2 leads; plug each ESC into tail mixer and output leads into receiver,  make sure throttle makes both tracks turn same way and done. If they go opposite, swap leads round as steering controls fwd/rev 

I don't think I had to alter anything on TX

47550385891_407d4f9e2c_c.jpg

Edited by Davy Crockett
  • Like 1

Had a little go at setting up my Spektrum to work, I’ve got throttle now sorted but the steering only slows one track turned left and the same track at 100% power turned right...on a big plus side though the throttle seems a lot more linear using the Spektrum as oppose to the supplied radio.

I’ll have another bash at it tomorrow, if I end up swearing and pulling my grey hairs out,  I’ll order up a tail mixer, It ain’t gonna beat me!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Had some more time on this, the wiring was like a birds nest riddled with deans connectors, set about that and now it’s much more acceptable.

gone through all the mixing values and settings and I’ve kind of got it going, forwards and reverse now work on the throttle trigger and it has much more control.

the steering however is another story, to turn right the left track speeds up and to turn left it stops the left track, I was hoping for the left track brake for left turn and right hand track brake to turn right. 

so although it kind of works and I’m about 80% happy with it now, I ordered one of those tail mixers and see if that is the answer.

keep doing little bits to it and thinking some nice “swamp logging” decals would maybe work???

I’ll snap some more pics on my next update. :good:

• Like 1

Good to hear your tinkering is making progress!!

Something doesn't seem quite right though on the tracks.... On my Pistonbully, throttle both tracks run same speed but little steering input one slows down to turn the direction. Full steering input with no throttle applied tracks run opposite.

Tail mixer will(should) sort it.. 

As always if I can help let me know pal 👍

• Like 1

Little update with some pics, everyone likes pics lol.

first off, the wife wasn’t overjoyed with the new fruit bowl suggestion,

C6643087-3945-4-A33-94-EA-60-EA138-B63-E

now some of you will know and see that the front most axle that turns the sprockets is exposed, I know the plough frame utilises the axle but as I don’t expect to ever have one I decided it needed a bash guard to protect the axle and the plastic front of the tub.

couple of brews and a bit of ar5e scratching and I had the design, found a place on eBay that would cut it to the smallest possible size and set to town, now if I had have gone about this for a show piece then I would have been more sympathetic with the hammer and bending of the tabs. It also mounts using the same holes as the plastic bit of tub so it can be removed and still be stock without a thousand more holes made.

chassis sides are alloy so and impact should be absorbed through the complete frame.

All fitted and ready.....

E44-DA4-B2-87-C5-4-AE1-8146-6-D409-DE6-B

31-AAD72-D-922-B-4-CE2-A34-E-67124-A1793

24718-CD3-15-DB-4-B66-89-A3-AB97-C166-B1

Finally some more decals removed/applied.

0-B0113-C3-35-DC-4920-ABED-EE9-EC26931-C

that’s all for now again... :good:

• Like 3