• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Losi Tenacity DB Pro - owners

On 18/03/2021 at 16:01, m4inbrain said:

Well.. 

Say hello to my factory 17t pinion. 

image.thumb.png.71b4a5668d2adf8553927937d994bbcf.png

Atrociously assembled. "Change the pinion if  you want to run 3s". Sure i do, but not only did the set screw immediately round out, when i then drilled it out it still wouldn't come off. Turns out they slathered the motor shaft in whatever bonding stuff they used, leading to that because of course the motor doesn't come out with the pinion attached - you can't take a blowtorch into the buggy, and centerpunching it out while in the buggy doesn't work either.

It drives better than anything else i have currently in terms of handling, but i'm far from happy with it. 

Wow, that’s one way to get your pinion off. Glad you managed it though. 

• Like 1

Aux 1 on spekky is ch3 on flysky Throttle is i think ch1 and steering ch 2 just have to plug in and see if it works and it looks like the black wire on servo plug is the bottom pin and orange or white wire is top pin 

ohh make sure car is of ground if you turn steerring and car tries to move off  if that does happen swap ch1 and 2 around

Edited by Stormbringer

13 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Aux 1 on spekky is ch3 on flysky Throttle is i think ch1 and steering ch 2 just have to plug in and see if it works and it looks like the black wire on servo plug is the bottom pin and orange or white wire is top pin 

ohh make sure car is of ground if you turn steerring and car tries to move off  if that does happen swap ch1 and 2 around

Steering Channel 1, Throttle channel 2

• Like 1

I do have to revise my opinion, at least to some degree.

I did run as much battery as physically possible today (literally). 

image.thumb.png.c8f5c7da4d7dc0e20da8539a522ff387.png

Doesn't have (again, literally) a millimetre to spare in any direction. That led to the buggy waking up, together with motor fans on the 3s pinion it actually was fun to flop around on a (very level) field. It's not fast (44mph GPS), but it runs circles around my Typhon 3s in terms of handling. It handles actually really well, suspension wise. I wouldn't race the servo, the servo is arse, but for doddling around on a cricket field it's good enough.

Couldn't go anywhere else since we're still on "stay local" over here in south wales - that ends on saturday though, apparently. Which then gives me a chance to run it proper on a motocross track, we'll see how it holds up. 

I still am annoyed by the hoops i had to jump through to make it work, but now that it does, i'm almost at the point where i don't regret the purchase. I certainly had a lot of fun "watching it handle nicely" today, if that makes sense. 

Edited by m4inbrain

5 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

I do have to revise my opinion, at least to some degree.

I did run as much battery as physically possible today (literally). 

image.thumb.png.c8f5c7da4d7dc0e20da8539a522ff387.png

Doesn't have (again, literally) a millimetre to spare in any direction. That led to the buggy waking up, together with motor fans on the 3s pinion it actually was fun to flop around on a (very level) field. It's not fast (44mph GPS), but it runs circles around my Typhon 3s in terms of handling. It handles actually really well, suspension wise. I wouldn't race the servo, the servo is arse, but for doddling around on a cricket field it's good enough.

Couldn't go anywhere else since we're still on "stay local" over here in south wales - that ends on saturday though, apparently. Which then gives me a chance to run it proper on a motocross track, we'll see how it holds up. 

I still am annoyed by the hoops i had to jump through to make it work, but now that it does, i'm almost at the point where i don't regret the purchase. I certainly had a lot of fun "watching it handle nicely" today, if that makes sense. 

Glad you made it out for a run, after all that pinion fighting. I’ve replaced the Servo, but not tried it yet, since I’ve been rebuilding my front diff. Btw, the grub screw which holds the coupler on the drive shafts front and back flew off and was lost. I’d recommend popping out the grub screws, putting some loctite  on them and popping them back in. I’m looking forward to having mine back out; new wheels too. 

2 minutes ago, Graeme - Edinburgh said:

Glad you made it out for a run, after all that pinion fighting. I’ve replaced the Servo, but not tried it yet, since I’ve been rebuilding my front diff. Btw, the grub screw which holds the coupler on the drive shafts front and back flew off and was lost. I’d recommend popping out the grub screws, putting some loctite  on them and popping them back in. I’m looking forward to having mine back out; new wheels too. 

Not entirely sure what grub screw you mean? 

That being said, i might have another problem lol. After taking that picture 10 minutes ago, my rear drive shaft appears to be suspiciously banana shaped. 

On 25/03/2021 at 23:20, m4inbrain said:

Not entirely sure what grub screw you mean? 

That being said, i might have another problem lol. After taking that picture 10 minutes ago, my rear drive shaft appears to be suspiciously banana shaped. 

This is the grub screw in question; but at the rear. It was the front that disappeared. i'd suggest remove and loctite both of them. 

IMG_6813.jpeg

Thanks for sharing your experiences - I too had an older one, and much regret selling it a mate for a song.  She was an absolute weapon on astro and kept up with the tekno's with no issues.  Have long fancied another but the dumbing down of the platform into the Tenacity's has put me off - the Pro seemed to be the way out.

Can't really compare it to other Losis, the only other buggy i have experience with is the Typhon 3s, and it runs circles around it. Handling is above and beyond doubt for me.

Now to fix the servo, those tyres are incredibly sticky on asphalt, the servo can't keep up with the stockers - which is now very exacerbated. Can barely hold lock on like 3-5mph, anything above it just straightens out.

On 02/04/2021 at 13:26, m4inbrain said:

Can't really compare it to other Losis, the only other buggy i have experience with is the Typhon 3s, and it runs circles around it. Handling is above and beyond doubt for me.

Now to fix the servo, those tyres are incredibly sticky on asphalt, the servo can't keep up with the stockers - which is now very exacerbated. Can barely hold lock on like 3-5mph, anything above it just straightens out.

Looking good. Yeah, servo upgrade on mine made significant improvement. 

• 3 months later...

Hi guys. 
my young lad recently bought one of these. 
great bit of kit run on 3S. 
handling is fantastic. 
do you have problems with the servo ? 
csn you expand on this?

we found it fast and responsive so far. 
tyres too find them pretty decent. 
 Power wise it drags our Senton snd granite and it’s neck and neck really for top speed. 
 I’ll be attacking grub screws with locktite after reading your woes. 

Who are the go to companies for upgrades for this beauty? 

On 06/02/2021 at 19:59, Graeme - Edinburgh said:

I've got a technical question from a newbie. The rear wheels on the car seem to toe in somewhat and not sure if that's just how it's supposed to be, or if it's adjustable or if there is some sort of issue here. Car seems to run ok though. Welcome any thoughts on this?

IMG_6581.jpeg

So

Slight toe in at the rear is totally normal and helps with top end speed and stability. 
toe out at front helps with turning. 
toe neutral at front or slightly toe in is good for top speed strait line stability but turning suffers as a result. 
hope that helps. 

I really love the look of these.

But seems they share the same transmission as the Lazernut and the diffs etc just desintegrate 😞

If you look at the Rock Rey, BD Pro, Lazernut, all great looking, high performing cars, that seem to have duff transmission.

Can I ask (anyone on this thread) once you had replaced/shimmed the diffs, did it then otherwise last?

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 02/02/2021 at 20:08, Graeme - Edinburgh said:

Keen to hear from other owners and especially around upgrades you've done, as a few things I'd like to do to the car - especially the wheels. 

So far i've ordered:

New servo and servo horn

RPM skid plates

Also so considering other detail parts, as I love how this car looks as well as drives. 

Lovely kit loving mine so far just see the comment on the skid plates how did that go seen them and thinking might add them to mine to be honest looking at them about £16 roughly i am seeing so interested on thoughts on them

• 2 months later...

Hey all! New to the forum, to Losi and the Tenacity DB.

Just bought one and I'm giving everything a once over but initially testing I have two issues.

I updated the motor pinion to the 15t from 17t and believe I properly got the gear mesh. Thing is, I hear a louder sound when I give it some throttle at very low speed from a standstill, but it goes away once it gets a little speed to it. I worry that the mesh is off. I can hear the sound when I turn that Wheels on my bench too. Can't tell if it's the motor gears or the drivetrain.

The other issue is the ESC is really loud at very low speed then seems fine. Is that normal?

I'm new to LiPo having run nitro or older battery in the past, so ESCs are still new for me.

2 hours ago, DurhamYank said:

The other issue is the ESC is really loud at very low speed then seems fine. Is that normal?

An ESC shouldn't make any noise, other than the fan noise. Sensored systems sometimes do have a high pitch electrical.. squeak to them (not quite sure how to describe it better, something similar to coil whine) - they never are really loud though. 

Best option for you and us, just a quick recording of it on the bench making them noises. What "method" did you use to mesh the pinion? As a rule of thumb (just to put it out there) - get a small strip of paper, put it between pinion and spur gear, push them together with a reasonable amount of force (not too much, not too little), tighten down the motor (while keeping the pressure) and then roll it on the table to push the paper out. It usually leads to a decent mesh. Just make sure you don't run that 17t pinion on 3s - it'll run too hot and bend the driveshaft. 

On 25/07/2021 at 15:04, Ollykamakazi said:

do you have problems with the servo ? 

I did. Too weak when paired with proper sticky tyres on asphalt, which is exacerbated by the sloppy servo saver. Haven't fixed it yet either, it sadly doesn't get anywhere near enough runtime to justify it. 

Edited by m4inbrain

• 4 months later...

Been messing with my "new to me" Tenacity DB Pro today.
Pretty pleased with it so far as it's already got a lot of mods done to it and I just did a battery strap mod today so that I can fit a bigger battery. Waiting on some stickers now to brighten it up a bit. 
12.thumb.jpg.bb8108f141c985f247784312cee13b75.jpg

1326187722_16BatterystrapmoddoneESCsoldered.thumb.jpg.f8781a166f5545e0d31ceb1bbcae8092.jpg

• Like 2