• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1.5 Runs and I've Broken It

Cheethers

Newbie and wet behind the ears so bear with me.

I took my new RC today on it's second run and my second run in 20 year's! It's a Maverick Phantom XT.

My back garden is large but when I braked and turned at relative speed it literally flipped and resulted in this! 

Serious question. Am I doing something wrong or expecting too much of something costing £110? Shocked how easily it's just snapped and now I need to spend £40 to repair. Not a great start hey!

PXL_20210102_111525515.jpg

PXL_20210102_111517160.jpg

PXL_20210102_111052276.jpg

PXL_20210102_111032754.jpg

PXL_20210102_111000742.jpg

Screenshot_20210102-195159~2.png

Screenshot_20210102-195248~2.png

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Tug said:

Low temps will make the plastics brittle. Plus the fact it's at the lower end of the market. Rinse and repeat. 

Doesn't sound promising. With the whole rinse and repeat you say it sounds like I'm gonna repair for £30 and keep fingers crossed.

Tbh I'd rather fix it once and have as a 'spare' or whatever. 

Needle in a haystack question but what sort of budget etc etc should I look at. Made a right mess of this hey 😳

It's the nature of this hobby - sometimes you will have a RC that lasts  forever if you drive carefully, or break something if you're too rough.

Also, as someone pointed out, plastic doesn't like cold weather, especially snow as it can be brittle and snaps easily.

It is a budget friendly brand... Unfortunately £110 doesn't get you much in this hobby, especially in Britain.

That being said a £1,000 RC will still break, nothing is unbreakable.

If you want something to bash harder, maybe look at an Arrma Senton 4x4 Mega, that's brushed so it won't be particularly fast, but it's only about £240, the brushless (much much faster) version is around £340.

EDIT; in the sales section there is a basically new brushless Senton priced at £250.

Edited by Oh How Original
  • Like 1

I did the same bought a cheap rc car (ftx) kept breaking it spent more in repairs than the car cost so gave up on it  ,and bought an arrma typhon much better quality imo but I still break things not as much and I drive it harder now but fixing its 50% of the hobby for anyway

7 hours ago, Tug said:

Bought my first proper basher in 2006, a Traxxas E-Maxx. It was awful in terms of durability, everything was bare bones in terms of engineering, every part would snap like a twig. I must've spent twice or three times the purchase price trying to make it tough, got there in the end. Still got it, still bash it occasionally. 

Nowadays, there's plenty of competition that's far more durable. Take your time, listen to owners experiences with various machines, make an informed choice. 

Thanks for this, it's made me sit down and have a think about options and I won't rush so much this time. 👍

Nothing to add, bar getting through the first run without a breakage is a bonus.  This Maverick chassis is a rebrand of the Himoto E10, which was a bit of a dog.  I'm awaiting my first quantum to see if they've improved the plastics quality at all, cold weather running is no real test, but from what i see from owners so far im doubtful.

• Like 1

On 03/01/2021 at 05:34, Cheethers said:

Thanks for this, it's made me sit down and have a think about options and I won't rush so much this time. 👍

Dude...we've all been there, thinking back to my RC18T brings me out in a cold sweat...

Hi Cheethers,

Newbie here too. I bought the Phantom XT for my 10 year old, I got a Maverick Strada SC myself, back in October. 

Anyway we had a few runs in the park and then headed to a skate park. He was a little over enthusiastic and ended up with two cracked wheels like those pictured. Long story short, It's been through two spur gears (I messed one up by fitting FTX Carnage wheels to the rear - Maverick weren't available and this put the drive train under stress) the second one was meshed correctly but stripped regardless, after I realised my error and shelled out for full FTX wheels. 

The end result is he has my Strada SC Chassis with FTX Carnage wheels and his re-reamed Phantom XT body. Looks quite the beast! 

His Phantom Chassis is now a spare motor, ESC, receiver and servo. Luck of the draw I guess but as others have said, an unlucky bash can be expensive. I have a hub, 2 wheels and dogbone going cheap if you haven't bought the replacement parts yet...

IMG_0827 2.JPG

Edited by JT Toxteth
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, JT Toxteth said:

Hi Cheethers,

Newbie here too. I bought the Phantom XT for my 10 year old, I got a Maverick Strada SC myself, back in October. 

Anyway we had a few runs in the park and then headed to a skate park. He was a little over enthusiastic and ended up with two cracked wheels like those pictured. Long story short, It's been through two spur gears (I messed one up by fitting FTX Carnage wheels to the rear - Maverick weren't available and this put the drive train under stress) the second one was meshed correctly but stripped regardless, after I realised my error and shelled out for full FTX wheels. 

The end result is he has my Strada SC Chassis with FTX Carnage wheels and his re-reamed Phantom XT body. Looks quite the beast! 

His Phantom Chassis is now a spare motor, ESC, receiver and servo. Luck of the draw I guess but as others have said, an unlucky bash can be expensive. I have a hub, 2 wheels and dogbone going cheap if you haven't bought the replacement parts yet...

Cheers, I've messaged you re part's 👍

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
44 minutes ago, RCTigger said:

I've had exactly the same issue... I managed to break three wheels in the first outing...

It looks like the plastic wheel rims will keep breaking.  Do you know of aluminum wheel rims/wheels that would work with the Phantom XT please? 

Many thanks

Dont go alloy, youll just break something elss. Just find some different branded wheels from a reputable manufacturer (like Proline) that fit