• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Quickest Motor for The Hornet

deans6571

Hi all

Can anyone advise on what the fastest motor is that I can go for, in my 1980’s original The Hornet? 

I have already upgraded the internals to my car and have the HobbyWing 1060 esc and using a new 7.2 v 3000mah battery but was wondering what the fastest motor is that I could use? My motor is currently the default one which came with the car about 30 years ago (there’s no stickers or anything on it so I don’t know what kind it is) ? 

Thanks. 

Switch to LiPo that'll give you the biggest improvement.

Just be mindful about the battery tray, for reasons only known to Tamiya, some of there trays are ribbed and only accept smaller packs.

I would recommend changing the motor.

I am using this one in my Holiday buggy (assuming the original can also accept 540 cans?) 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/etronix-sport-tuned-modified-brushed-motor-15t/rc-car-products/369089

On a 2s LiPo is moves considerably better than stock set up.

A small LiPo buzzer is also recommended, the 1060s do apparently have a LiPo cut off built in, but I wouldn't rely on it completely, here is how mine is laid out in my Holiday buggy, this was prior to upgrading ESC to the 1060.

DSCF5747-2.jpg

• Like 1

I’m a little out of touch with brushed motors, but if you look at the spec of your ESC, it should tell you the max amount of Turns on a motor it can cope you, them just look for a 540 to that spec, model sport will list a few I’m sure

42 minutes ago, deans6571 said:

...appreciate the above but I’m really looking at keeping my existing nicam battery as it is brand new (3000 amp). 

Would anybody therefore be able to recommend a motor to replace my existing stock Hornet motor? 

Then probably don't bother, your ESC will have a motor turn limit and I dare say you won't see much improvement.

LiPo will be night and day difference.

New motor might give you 1-2mph more, depending on the difference in turns of course.

1 hour ago, Oh How Original said:

Then probably don't bother, your ESC will have a motor turn limit and I dare say you won't see much improvement.

New motor might give you 1-2mph more, depending on the difference in turns of course.

2 hours ago, Ag100 said:

I’m a little out of touch with brushed motors, but if you look at the spec of your ESC, it should tell you the max amount of Turns on a motor it can cope you, them just look for a 540 to that spec, model sport will list a few I’m sure

Just now, deans6571 said:

Just to add - my esc is the HobbyWing 1060 (not sure how many turns that’s quoted as being)

1 hour ago, Oh How Original said:

2 hours ago, Ag100 said:

4 minutes ago, deans6571 said:

Just to add - my esc is the HobbyWing 1060 (not sure how many turns that’s quoted as being)

It seems that my current esc (the HobbyWing 1060) is ‘12 turn’.  Does this then mean I need to look for a motor which is not rated any higher than this? 

7 minutes ago, deans6571 said:

It seems that my current esc (the HobbyWing 1060) is ‘12 turn’.  Does this then mean I need to look for a motor which is not rated any higher than this? 

you could fit a motor mount that lets you change pinion sizes

I'd put a 17t motor in it tops any higher could damage the gears, your ESC is limited to 12t (the lower the number the higher the speed) your existing motor will be 27t

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, deans6571 said:

Yes, that’s correct, but as @Oh How Originalsaid, biggest difference will be with a Lipo, but if it’s the original standard 540, them I’m sure you will notice a difference with a new Motor, just not as big a jump as with Lipo power. Will also be worth stripping down the gearbox if you haven’t already and checking for any worn cogs and them give a good coating of fresh grease.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fred barlow said:

I'd put a 17t motor in it tops any higher could damage the gears, your ESC is limited to 12t (the lower the number the higher the speed) your existing motor will be 27t

Thanks  for that - appreciated. 

How do the numbers on the motors work then - how would I know which ones would work with my esc? 

5 hours ago, Fred barlow said:

Also - would any of these be compatible with my esc :

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/radio-control/rc-spares/tamiya/motors/?view_type=small

The motor turns numbers work like this, the lower the t number the faster the motor, the higher the t number the higher the torque is, most stock motors are 27t crawlers use 80t, escs are rated by t numbers the 1060 you've got will work down to a 12t motor (which would be overkill for the hornet)

The 540j was the one everyone upgraded to in the 80s but I'd look at  any from the torque tuned down t wise in that range but they're other motor makers that are good I use the budget surpass ones, there are some good ones here

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?CategoryID=9920&SubCategoryID=992015&MSAttributeID[25]=575&MSAttributeID[110]=1246&MSAttributeID[26]=589

Is your car an original 1980s or the modern reissue?

• Thanks 1

Iv just read your original post again your car is an original 1980s one so the one thing you'll have to be careful with is the gears could be a bit weaker than they used to be so it could be worth fitting a new gear set also it would be worth getting a couple of pinions with a slightly higher tooth count

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, deans6571 said:

Thanks  for that - appreciated. 

How do the numbers on the motors work then - how would I know which ones would work with my esc? 

means your esc can handle a motor of 12 turns or over etc dean when it has a number after ie 12x1,12x2 etc mean more torque :)

always go a few turns over the max so a 15 turn would suit it well like fred says you dont want anything too powerful as the vintage tams gears  werent built with brushless in mind 

• Like 1

I know this isnt what you want to hear, but the best speed improvement will come from switching to Lipo and or brushless system, and it isnt exactly expensive to do now. However, If youre not willing to do that, Id just get a cheap to midrange 15T-17T brushed Motor, and a lower pinion gear and be hope that that provides a decent improvement. Doesn't have to be a Tamiya Motor BTW.

Wouldn't want anything more powerful than that in such an old R/C with fragile gears, and limited gearing options etc

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Guns said:

I know this isnt what you want to hear, but the best speed improvement will come from switching to Lipo and or brushless system, and it isnt exactly expensive to do now. However, If youre not willing to do that, Id just get a cheap to midrange 15T-17T brushed Motor, and a lower pinion gear and be hope that that provides a decent improvement. Doesn't have to be a Tamiya Motor BTW.

Wouldn't want anything more powerful than that in such an old R/C with fragile gears, and limited gearing options etc

Thanks for that - appreciated. 

The only reason I don’t want to change to lipo is purely because I spent around £80 this summer (during lockdown!) on a new esc, remote, servo and battery as my old analog gear had met its death so all the digital gear now in my Hornet is barely a few months old so don’t want to now have to swap it all out again for lipo gear. 

So if I was to go for a 15t-17t brushed motor, do you think I would notice much speed improvements over my original 1980s stock motor?

Also - how do I know which motors will physically fit into my Hornet - some motors look smaller than the one I currently have?

Edited by deans6571
New info.

yeah tamiya did the stock 540 sized like storm says and also a 380 sized one which i think the grasshopper had if i remember right

yeah should notice a big difference between the stock sliver 540 27t can and a decent 17turn hot motor 👍 obv it will give you less time run on a mod motor upto a stocker thats where lipos come into play more power more runtimes :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deans6571 said:

The only reason I don’t want to change to lipo is purely because I spent around £80 this summer (during lockdown!) on a new esc, remote, servo and battery as my old analog gear had met its death so all the digital gear now in my Hornet is barely a few months old so don’t want to now have to swap it all out again for lipo gear. 

So if I was to go for a 15t-17t brushed motor, do you think I would notice much speed improvements over my original 1980s stock motor?

Also - how do I know which motors will physically fit into my Hornet - some motors look smaller than the one I currently have?

Ignore for now

Edited by Guns

Don't shoot the messenger, but... back in the mid 80's I had a Hornet, and it was hard enough keeping the rear wheels in contact with the ground using the stock 27t silver can, anything much rougher than a billiards table and it was hopping all over the place. Great fun, but not really conducive to hot motors.  If you really must go down that road, and why not - its a lot of fun, just not very efficient 😁, then just grab an HPI Firebolt 15T for a tenner, or something similar in the 15-20T range, should be fine with the 1060.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, deans6571 said:

If you want to stay as you are now, the motor I linked originally is perfect.

You don't need anything new to switch to lipo, other than the battery and check your charger.

A battery will be £20-25 at the most for a 5000(ish) 2s.

That is the BEST thing to do, rather than spend £20 on a motor that won't really change anything.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

If you want to stay as you are now, the motor I linked originally is perfect.

You don't need anything new to switch to lipo, other than the battery and check your charger.

A battery will be £20-25 at the most for a 5000(ish) 2s.

That is the BEST thing to do, rather than spend £20 on a motor that won't really change anything.

Happy New Year by the way! 

So, would you say I should go for the motor you originally linked to (which will probably only give me a 2-4mph increase over my stock motor) OR go for a Lipo battery instead? 

How would I know which Lipo battery would be compatible with my esc (the 1080 HobbyWing) or are all lipos compatible?