• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Wheels hexes. Alternative to threadlock??

ElliottCaleb

I use my cars on different surfaces and want to be able to change out my wheels during the day.

I’ve been using threadlock  which is a pain as you need to leave it 24 hours after applying. Is there an alternative? https://1921681001.id/

I was going to experiment with plumbers/ptfe tape around the threads but having experienced wheel hex loss before I wanted to gather some thoughts before trying it for real. https://19216811.cam/

Edited by ElliottCaleb

As above, you shouldn't need thread lock on wheel nuts, if you do, there is another issue to deal with.

What is the vehicle firstly?

Have you put aftermarket hubs on?

If so, sometimes the issue can be (with cheap extended aftermarket hubs) is they have no rear shoulder to press against the hub bearings, so all the force is directly on the pin, if the pin breaks or bends, the wheel nut comes loose.

I'm guessing you mean the inner hex that the wheel sits onto rather than the nyloc hex nut holding it on...

Have you tried the clamp on type of wheel hex's with the grub screw that holds them in place? then if all your wheels share the same hex size once they are on there's no need to remove other than maintenance

Like these:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=407135&gclid=CjwKCAiArIH_BRB2EiwALfbH1Kw6fuI4PTm9doaPf7J-Z-jXSxqu3ogxJ42Rr-C8-NBQIzESZtS7wBoCOksQAvD_BwE

Edited by mch87

1 hour ago, mch87 said:

I'm guessing you mean the inner hex that the wheel sits onto rather than the nyloc hex nut holding it on...

Have you tried the clamp on type of wheel hex's with the grub screw that holds them in place? then if all your wheels share the same hex size once they are on there's no need to remove other than maintenance

Like these:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=407135&gclid=CjwKCAiArIH_BRB2EiwALfbH1Kw6fuI4PTm9doaPf7J-Z-jXSxqu3ogxJ42Rr-C8-NBQIzESZtS7wBoCOksQAvD_BwE

Why would you need to remove inner hexes to change the wheels?

Those ones also if they came loose you wouldn't lose your wheel, it just wouldn't spin anymore.

5 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

Why would you need to remove inner hexes to change the wheels?

Those ones also if they came loose you wouldn't lose your wheel, it just wouldn't spin anymore.

Well how would you loose a nyloc? if it was the correct size for the thread it wouldn't just fall off unless worn out...  Hence my question... and you would need to change them for the comment I put... if the internal of the wheel was a different hex size...

Like I have hex's for one of my R/C's that the original are 14mm but I have wheels that are 17mm and hex's to suit...

if it is that the OP is loosing the hex nut holding the actually wheel on surely it would be the case of ensuring they are using nyloc if they aren't already... and ensure if the nuts are old replace with new to ensure the "nyloc" part is working as intended...
I've never once lost a nyloc nut unless i forgot to actually do it up... some r/c's even run left hand and right hand thread to make extra sure...

2 minutes ago, mch87 said:

Well how would you loose a nyloc? if it was the correct size for the thread it wouldn't just fall off unless worn out...  Hence my question... and you would need to change them for the comment I put... if the internal of the wheel was a different hex size...

Like I have hex's for one of my R/C's that the original are 14mm but I have wheels that are 17mm and hex's to suit...

if it is that the OP is loosing the hex nut holding the actually wheel on surely it would be the case of ensuring they are using nyloc if they aren't already... and ensure if the nuts are old replace with new to ensure the "nyloc" part is working as intended...
I've never once lost a nyloc nut unless i forgot to actually do it up... some r/c's even run left hand and right hand thread to make extra sure...

Nyloc doesn't always work if you have another issue, a couple of which I mentioned and have experience of having.

If you were swapping wheels from say a 12mm hex to a 17mm hex, the size of the wheels would be massively different, as would the stub axle and the hole in the centre of the wheel.

I am pretty sure he is having issues with the wheelnuts.

I wasn't trying to argue I was simply trying to get further info...

Different wheel size vs hex size isn't always the case... The OP hasn't mentioned what rc he/she is using... My monster truck the wheels are nearly identical  size once fitted but as mentioned one set is 14mm and the other 17mm...

I cannot be alone in this... when I did swap and change, the hex's would occasionally stay inside the wheel when changing and the pin would drop on the floor... this is was I thought might be happening to the OP

22 hours ago, mch87 said:

Different wheel size vs hex size isn't always the case... The OP hasn't mentioned what rc he/she is using... My monster truck the wheels are nearly identical  size once fitted but as mentioned one set is 14mm and the other 17mm...

I cannot be alone in this... when I did swap and change, the hex's would occasionally stay inside the wheel when changing and the pin would drop on the floor... this is was I thought might be happening to the OP

I can't say I swap wheels that often myself so I've not really experienced it, I usually just get the right set up for the job from the off, or change them at home before leaving and be done that with.

That being said, it wouldn't make the wheel actually come off anyway.

On 21/12/2020 at 18:26, mch87 said:

You’re not alone, I have had the same problem on a couple of cars. I hate it when the little rod falls out when changing wheels, and I have found that plastic hexes are prone to sticking in the wheel, replacing the hexes with aluminium ones, with grub screws, fixed the problem.

While I can’t see how dodgy fitted hexes could cause a wheel to come off, it can’t hurt to ask questions to try to get a more complete picture of the problem; especially as the op actually mentions hexes in the thread title. Though that seems like it’s probably a beginner’s mistake, how can we really know for sure unless we get more information?

• Like 1