• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

For 'Dads', or well anyone willing to comment

iForest

Hi,

So I have bought my son a Stampede Bigfoot for Christmas, and now I'm thinking it might be better if I had an rc car too! Go figure huh. 

The following are just the thoughts I am having around this.

I could get something similar to the Stampede like the Granite but I'm thinking I want 4 wheel drive and possibly brushless but not essential. I think waterproof is a bonus. We have a very large field next to us and it means we could use it more often. 

I like the look of the trucks, but the only buggies I really like are quite a bit more.

I could stick with an upgraded Traxxas.

I think I prefer the 1:8 scale.

I would prefer to buy a brand which is known for being better quality.

It would be nice to have something a bit different to the Stampede so if my son prefers the car he could drive that too.

I presume some other Dads have gone through this type of thing even if they have had different thoughts.

Willing to hear any comments.

Thanks.

David

• Like 2

I would go with the Granite, it's similar to the Stampede, but it suits your needs better I think.

Very tough, fast on 2s and mental on 3s, the ground clearance will be better using it on grass also.

Not 8th scale, but that's a much bigger investment for something you might not get heavily into.

I'm not Dad, but I'm uncle lol I speak from experience with that family relationship.

I guess the next step up to 8th scale (in my opinion, it's really not needed and I've had a lot of them) would be an Arrma Kraton/Traxxas E-Revo 2.0.

But when you factor in 4s/6s batteries, then enough charging power to charge them... It really becomes a much bigger investment.

• Like 3

Hi David

You don't say what your budget is or how old your son is but I can just pass on what I've learned over the last 4 years.

Kids learn fast. Quicker than you will. My 7yr old drives a 6S Kraton as well as I do and my 5yr old seems to handle a 6S Outcast pretty well.

You need more than one car. It's more fun and when something breaks it means you can keep going. If you get a better car than your kid - he'll want to drive that.

Personally, I'd say get another Stampede. You can learn to fix them together and share spare parts. Get your son his own toolkit too.You can also upgrade to brushless as you go along.

There are bigger and better cars out there but they come at a cost. Wait until you know you like it enough to warrant the investment. You can easily sell a Stampede when you come to upgrade.

Have fun!

Sent from my S88Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

My 2c.... Go find yourself an almost ready to run truggy... With a truggy you get the best of the buggy handling... With the added ground clearance of a monster truck style platform.... Perfect for your needs... 

They're pretty much 1/8 focused.... truggies, So that would be my first port of call platform wise... 

Truggies have a wide budget range so buckle up if you wanna get something tasty.... Or hunt for something electric that's used.... on ebay...

I've seen plenty of great deals recently on hardly used models.... 

Failing all that... Just hunt for a mid range Rtr bruhsless 1/8 platform... Run it for a bit... Then decide Wether to upgrade or 'part ex' for a better model after that.... 

Just keep swinging dude... you can't really miss these days... There's a massive amount of platforms to choose from 

Edited by Fly In My Soup
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, namastebuzz said:

Hi David

You don't say what your budget is or how old your son is but I can just pass on what I've learned over the last 4 years.

Kids learn fast. Quicker than you will. My 7yr old drives a 6S Kraton as well as I do and my 5yr old seems to handle a 6S Outcast pretty well.

You need more than one car. It's more fun and when something breaks it means you can keep going. If you get a better car than your kid - he'll want to drive that.

Personally, I'd say get another Stampede. You can learn to fix them together and share spare parts. Get your son his own toolkit too.You can also upgrade to brushless as you go along.

There are bigger and better cars out there but they come at a cost. Wait until you know you like it enough to warrant the investment. You can easily sell a Stampede when you come to upgrade.

Have fun!

Thanks.

My son is 9. The budget well , I'd rather not spend a grand (on both just yet), but like you say it all adds up and pretty quickly. I bought a bigger battery and better charger with this Bigfoot - which came to about £300.  I did consider getting a similar model for the reason you mentioned - spare parts- but it's easy to get drawn into bigger and better. So I think I will stick with that idea of having a the same model, it seems it's worked for you and that's the kind of experiential advice I was looking for. The thing is I could get a 4x4 Stampede for £300 and just wondering if it's worth getting those instead of the 2wd....

Edited by iForest

3 hours ago, iForest said:

Hi,

So I have bought my son a Stampede Bigfoot for Christmas, and now I'm thinking it might be better if I had an rc car too! Go figure huh. 

The following are just the thoughts I am having around this.

I could get something similar to the Stampede like the Granite but I'm thinking I want 4 wheel drive and possibly brushless but not essential. I think waterproof is a bonus. We have a very large field next to us and it means we could use it more often. 

I like the look of the trucks, but the only buggies I really like are quite a bit more.

I could stick with an upgraded Traxxas.

I think I prefer the 1:8 scale.

I would prefer to buy a brand which is known for being better quality.

It would be nice to have something a bit different to the Stampede so if my son prefers the car he could drive that too.

I presume some other Dads have gone through this type of thing even if they have had different thoughts.

Willing to hear any comments.

Thanks.

David

As a parent  you should have something that is the same speed  or he will just want the faster car.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you to everyone that has commented.

My final thoughts on this is should I just stick with the 2wd Stampede and get the same or, should I swap it and go for the 4wd brushless Granite Or a Losi equivalent.

I'm not too bothered about brushless but I think 4x4 might be better for handling (and possibly less wheelies), for now.

I have done a fair bit of reading and you tube watching but it's been a (very) long time since I owned a Grasshopper which broke rather quickly from what I can remember.

I know they will break, I just want to make sure if I'm spending £600-£700 (for two cars) that I am spending it in the right place.

Thanks again.

Edited by iForest

4wd isn't always better for handling, especially on a tall platform, the wheelies thing is probably 95% true though but it really does depend on the individual set up, there's no one size fits all.

Getting the same vehicle again isn't a bad idea, you just see quite often Dads or uncles or whoever getting something after there kids get one and within a very short period it's not fast enough.

That being said, a HobbyWing combo is about £110, so a brushless upgrade isn't going to set you back huge amounts, should you want it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, iForest said:

Thank you to everyone that has commented.

My final thoughts on this is should I just stick with the 2wd Stampede and get the same or, should I swap it and go for the 4wd brushless Granite Or a Losi equivalent.

I'm not too bothered about brushless but I think 4x4 might be better for handling (and possibly less wheelies), for now.

I have done a fair bit of reading and you tube watching but it's been a (very) long time since I owned a Grasshopper which broke rather quickly from what I can remember.

I know they will break, I just want to make sure if I'm spending £600-£700 (for two cars) that I am spending it in the right place.

Thanks again.

Do people know if the Stampede 4x4 (brushed) will have interchangeable parts with normal Stampede, aside from the the obvious. Was thinking I could always put the shell of the 2wd on the 4wd if it's easier for my son to use.

I think the alternative might be going for an Arrma Big Rock, being 4wd and wider stance. 

Any other thoughts appreciated.

16 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

I would go with the Granite, it's similar to the Stampede, but it suits your needs better I think.

Very tough, fast on 2s and mental on 3s, the ground clearance will be better using it on grass also.

Not 8th scale, but that's a much bigger investment for something you might not get heavily into.

I'm not Dad, but I'm uncle lol I speak from experience with that family relationship.

I guess the next step up to 8th scale (in my opinion, it's really not needed and I've had a lot of them) would be an Arrma Kraton/Traxxas E-Revo 2.0.

But when you factor in 4s/6s batteries, then enough charging power to charge them... It really becomes a much bigger investment.

Thanks for this too.

Hi again iForest. There's plenty of good advice on here and none of it is wrong.

You'll have fun whatever you get. My first RC was a 2WD Traxxas Rustler for £80 off eBay which I later upgraded to brushless. It's still my favourite car despite having three Arrma 6S cars, a Tekno MT410 and a Hobao Hyper ST Pro. It's a right laugh on 3S.

Don't get too hung up on what to get. Everything's fun and learning it all with your son will be the best bit. [emoji106]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i just bought my  lad (11 years old) the granite for xmas,,,    its a beast of a truck!    ... did a fair amount of research and it really does come highly rated everywhere..

I (for testing purposes!!)  charges the 3s battery and took it out into the street last night...... just to make sure all's working....  ..    and well..  on the controller it has a 50% - 75% and 100% switch  ... so  i set it to 50% and off i went...  

Holy ****.....     and i mean.. HOLY ****!..... how fast????     :o  ...      I'm gonna need a MAAAHOOOSIVE space to let my lad out with this!!        im now tempted to buy another 2S battery in the hopes it might tame it a bit... ( and by a bit,, i mean ALOT) !!!!

but,, saying all that...... god damn... this things frickin amazing!!!       and to think,,,  my old hornet i thought was quick!! ... lol

so.,.. to finish... buy the granite..  :)

Lol sounds good!

I actually went ahead and bought it the Granite 4x4 3s, looking forward to receiving it tomorrow (thanks to Shaun at SC Models) and well I had to get a Typhon to entertain myself too when I’m with him!

I think you can reduce the throttle on the transmitter which is my intention to start with.

The thing is now I’m looking for an on road car just for myself, something second hand that I can build and work on to understand the cars more.

Yeah I can’t wait until Christmas Day now!!

Edited by iForest

On 22/12/2020 at 14:21, Chivalry said:

i just bought my  lad (11 years old) the granite for xmas,,,    its a beast of a truck!    ... did a fair amount of research and it really does come highly rated everywhere..

I (for testing purposes!!)  charges the 3s battery and took it out into the street last night...... just to make sure all's working....  ..    and well..  on the controller it has a 50% - 75% and 100% switch  ... so  i set it to 50% and off i went...  

Holy ****.....     and i mean.. HOLY ****!..... how fast????     :o  ...      I'm gonna need a MAAAHOOOSIVE space to let my lad out with this!!        im now tempted to buy another 2S battery in the hopes it might tame it a bit... ( and by a bit,, i mean ALOT) !!!!

but,, saying all that...... god damn... this things frickin amazing!!!       and to think,,,  my old hornet i thought was quick!! ... lol

so.,.. to finish... buy the granite..  :)

Fast. WOW. 

I cannot believe how fast these cars are?!! I can’t see how the Granite can be controlled at full throttle. I put my sons throttle to 50% and realised 3/4 of the way through the session that I had done the same to mine. So I switched it to 100 and wow it’s awesome. I also broke a front suspension arm on the Typhon, new ones on order for both cars. That was yesterday though. Today I tried the Granite on full throttle and it just feels too uncontrollable in my view, even on grass. 75% seems good, best of both worlds. I can’t believe how fast these cars are, maybe should have gone brushed lol. However I like that I can put the throttle on 50% and then as he learns increase the speed.  I wouldn’t want to have to replace because he wants more speed. I am tempted to make the Typhon more of a road car, we’ll see. It’s all new to me, lots of fun for a 40 something...got a WLToys 144001 on order which I thought I would use for road but my daughter wants it, and wants it pink so I’ve bought some pink vinyl to cover the body...good times.

I me and my wife   bought my carnage for me as xmas prezzie but spoilt brat in me couldn't wait till xmas so iv been out with it with my kids and apart from it getting broke everytime (well almost everytime) we go out   I want to buy poss 2 more for my son and daughter  like said on here so we can fix them together  till we all learn how to fix them on our own then might buy diffrent faster cars but that in the future.  

I'm looking cheap carnage as cash is tight at the mo . So we will just plod along with mine for now . 

As for.kids leaning to drive these fastest then me yes I agree with that one 100% .

• Like 1

Well I bought a wltoys 144001 which I thought my daughter could use, but she has since said it’s too small, lol, and wants a similar size to my sons Granite...

I thought I might buy a road car for myself, and being a bit nostalgic thought Tamiya, so bought a 2 car used bundle deal from eBay of x2 tamiya tt02s, just waiting for a transmitter and receiver to arrive tomorrow to test them out. I thought I shouldn’t lose out too much by buying second hand this time.

However,  if I’m still enjoying it in a few months time, and life is somewhat normal, I may check out my local rc club, but quite confused by the different racing classes.

• Like 1