• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Shoo goo replacement ? What do you think ?

mydoddy69

Inspired by this thread I spotted this contact adhesive in Lidl, for £2 it was worth a try. Turned out that I'm really bad at using it but it has worked I think, took 3 coats though which sounds like more than shoo goo etc. 

Probably do some more practice before using it on a new bodyshell. 

IMG_20210109_104645.jpg

IMG_20210109_104701.jpg

IMG_20210109_104652.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

One of the best applicators I found was those pva glue sticks from school everything else I used had gum build up I swore by this method ive never broken a body shell once reinforced. Even old ragged bodies can be made good again. Shoe goo is stupidly expensive ide have loved an alternative but just got the goo knowing the body will be protected and cost a bomb to install from clear time and money the goo is worth it in the end. 

On 09/01/2021 at 10:55, mydoddy69 said:

The thing you have to look out for is if it’s flexible, waterproof and non Solvent if it ticks those boxes it should be fine no matter the colour or brand 👍

In theory. In reality it’s not. That tuff stuff melted the shell.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Nickarla said:

In theory. In reality it’s not. That tuff stuff melted the shell.

Tuff Stuff ?  I’d have thought  If it melted the shell then it’s not solvent free. 

Got a link to the product ? 

When trying out a product always do a test on a bit of scrap first like I did at the beginning of this thread. 

Im loving the Gorilla stuff keep finding loads of uses for it 👍 

I used a Unibond product years ago on the only shell I've ever scrim-taped. Worked perfectly, still got it. Can't recall which one it was. 

Next time I'll probably try "sticks like".

• 1 month later...
On 08/01/2021 at 11:30, locky said:

Would these adhesives be suitable for tyre gluing? Anyone tried?

I used stick like sh... on some new 1/8 truggy wheels to stick the tyres, running on 4s. It didnt work. Back to CA glue.

I've done three bodies now with this stuff, a 1/18 SCT, a 1/16 Truggy and a 1/10 MT.  Now, it may just be me, being a bit generous with the stuff, but I couldn't believe how heavy the bodies are post 'treatment'.  The 1/10 MT weighed 80-90 grams more afterwards...but it does seem like it could take a real beating now without cracking.  The 1/16 truggy shell has had two fairly barbaric skate park sessions since reinforcement, with plenty of hits that would have cracked the standard body, and its still good as new, so I'm impressed with it.  

• Like 1

• 10 months later...