• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Shoo goo replacement ? What do you think ?

mydoddy69

6 hours ago, Nickarla said:

Interested to see how this holds up compared to shoe goo.

So far so good no nasty smells no paint striping not gone hard or brittle and it’s been caked in mud and soaked in water plus it’s been pretty cold this weekend 👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mydoddy69 said:

So far so good no nasty smells no paint striping not gone hard or brittle and it’s been caked in mud and soaked in water plus it’s been pretty cold this weekend 👍

So far so good but any idea whether it stops it cracking?

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/12/2020 at 10:25, Nickarla said:

So far so good but any idea whether it stops it cracking?

so far that’s a yes 👍👍. My SBR 2.0 shell is well known for being a little flimsy but mines held up great after using this 👍

• 3 weeks later...

I used a similar product to @mydoddy69 -  Evo Stick "The Original Sticks Like" clear adhesive. Got it from Wickes at about £8 for 290ml. I use a curved filler knife to smooth it over the skrim tape - works well without getting it everywhere. Sets well and is still flexible and with no nasty smell. 👍

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Evo-Stik-Sticks-Like-Adhesive---Clear---290ml/p/137680

IMG20210104150210.thumb.jpg.a051bb698cfb4e9ac3f1821205e32964.jpgIMG20210104150637.thumb.jpg.1aa24177a0a8884c5f5eb431f2887aca.jpg

• Like 1

Iv got some this glue already so I'm getting a new car next week so I'll do this to the body   cheers . As iv covered my carnage in a blue sticky tape I got from b&q  and this tape is an animal to peel off the roll and it feels thick compared to say duck tape  and sticky fold on its self dont even think about trying to split it . So  I used that but it was a pain to use   so ill go with the glue idea  cheers 

I used the white gorilla glue with the plaster board tape, I don’t know if it was the tape I bought that’s just not sticky enough but in the end I basically only had 1 layer of the tape in most places as I couldn’t for the life of me get it to stay down without using more glue and that was pressing it down I’m the 10 mins work time you get with it plus I used a hair dryer that’s more like a bloody heat gun for some mad reason

i did get some double and treble layers on the front of my new Kraton EXB 

To be fair I’ve never tried this before with shells so I ended up using half the tube and using more of the glue spread out with a small spreading tool from a filler tub to reinforce the shell so it doesn’t look neat and tidy like the pics in this thread are but after letting it dry overnight it feels super flexible and I know a lot of people put sponge on the top of the brace for the shell but with the glue I don’t need to as that’s created a nice sponge like surface for it to sit on.

I think in the end where the body mounts are I had about 2.5-3mm on the stuff. I think next time I’m going to try more expensive tape to start with and definitely get the clear stuff, but new toy in a hurry to get it out n all that and the white was all I could get my hands on that wasn’t solvent based for risk of removing the paint on the shell 

It is heavier than I wanted but if it holds it together it’s worth it 

I would like to know how the person that used the clear stuff got it to stick so well and get a thin layer though ????

Cheers

@Soilhalo77See my build log (link in my sig) where I've successfully did this work. I only needed one layer of plasterboard tape, but better quality tape (about £6 a roll) and it was very sticky so they have held down pretty well.

9 hours ago, Soilhalo77 said:

I used the white gorilla glue with the plaster board tape, I don’t know if it was the tape I bought that’s just not sticky enough but in the end I basically only had 1 layer of the tape in most places as I couldn’t for the life of me get it to stay down without using more glue and that was pressing it down I’m the 10 mins work time you get with it plus I used a hair dryer that’s more like a bloody heat gun for some mad reason

i did get some double and treble layers on the front of my new Kraton EXB 

To be fair I’ve never tried this before with shells so I ended up using half the tube and using more of the glue spread out with a small spreading tool from a filler tub to reinforce the shell so it doesn’t look neat and tidy like the pics in this thread are but after letting it dry overnight it feels super flexible and I know a lot of people put sponge on the top of the brace for the shell but with the glue I don’t need to as that’s created a nice sponge like surface for it to sit on.

I think in the end where the body mounts are I had about 2.5-3mm on the stuff. I think next time I’m going to try more expensive tape to start with and definitely get the clear stuff, but new toy in a hurry to get it out n all that and the white was all I could get my hands on that wasn’t solvent based for risk of removing the paint on the shell 

It is heavier than I wanted but if it holds it together it’s worth it 

I would like to know how the person that used the clear stuff got it to stick so well and get a thin layer though ????

Cheers

Hi fella it’s a messy old job but there are a few tricks to get it done well 

Use quality tape the cheap stuff don’t stick and peels up  

https://www.diy.com/departments/gyproc-orange-jointing-tape-l-90m-w-48mm/898483_BQ.prd

Get yourself  some sort of spreader I use this 

https://www.diy.com/departments/diall-sealant-smoother-remover-tool/1642133_BQ.prd

Some folks hold the tape down in those awkward areas with a dap of hot glue helps stop it from peeling up,  I tend to do mine in stages so add the tape then little daps of the glue let that cure up over night then go for the full spread and let it dry naturally over night . I tend to buy a couple of those spreaders and cut them up so they get in the small areas 👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mydoddy69 said:

Hi fella it’s a messy old job but there are a few tricks to get it done well 

Use quality tape the cheap stuff don’t stick and peels up  

https://www.diy.com/departments/gyproc-orange-jointing-tape-l-90m-w-48mm/898483_BQ.prd

Get yourself  some sort of spreader I use this 

https://www.diy.com/departments/diall-sealant-smoother-remover-tool/1642133_BQ.prd

Some folks hold the tape down in those awkward areas with a dap of hot glue helps stop it from peeling up,  I tend to do mine in stages so add the tape then little daps of the glue let that cure up over night then go for the full spread and let it dry naturally over night . I tend to buy a couple of those spreaders and cut them up so they get in the small areas 👍

I know nothing about the plaster board tape so went cheap! Think that’s where I screwed up but like I said it’s done now and it’s definitely got some impact resistance but I’ll check the links you guys have told me about to learn more for next time. Save em on my computer and next one I do I’ll be better prepared 

On another subject does anyone go out with there cars in the Newcastle area???

5 minutes ago, Soilhalo77 said:

On another subject does anyone go out with there cars in the Newcastle area???

Why? We're in a National Lockdown. You shouldn't be going out. Recreation is banned.