• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

OHOs doing another.... DODGY '46 Power Wagon!

12 hours ago, PraetoR said:

The new FTX Texan Power Wagon body shell is available for pre-order; £22 unpainted, or £35 painted. It'll likely come with the plastic scale parts.

Worth keeping in-mind, if you are looking for a replacement and don't want to buy another Pro-Line.

Good tip, good price, if it's the same as or better detail than the Pro-line I will be all over it.

Struggling to find where it's available to pre-order from though, probably just me having a brainfart to be fair.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

Good tip, good price, if it's the same as or better detail than the Pro-line I will be all over it.

Struggling to find where it's available to pre-order from though, probably just me having a brainfart to be fair.

I went to CML to take a look but came away with a FJ Associated option lol! I'll be posting  about that shortly..........

If you check the FTX Texan here; https://ftx-rc.com/index.php?_route_=ftx-outback-texan-trail-crawler-red you'll see what to expect👍

• Like 1

Just now, DartmoorTrails said:

I went to CML to take a look but came away with a FJ Associated option lol! I'll be posting  about that shortly..........

If you check the FTX Texan here; https://ftx-rc.com/index.php?_route_=ftx-outback-texan-trail-crawler-red you'll see what to expect👍

I can find the truck and the body, but not where to pre-order it, no ETA on MS either, like they usually have.

I will E-Mail 'em.

• Like 1

• Oh How Original changed the title to OHOs doing another.... Enduro '46 Power Wagon!
4 hours ago, PraetoR said:

I will most definitely keep my eye on that, it looks very very good value over the Pro-line offering I must say.

Currently in talks with the shop about the Pro-line body, if they end up sending me out another, I don't know if to sell it on or maybe go for an orange Power Wagon and line them all up like a traffic light.. :lol::P

• Like 2

Looking good man!! I have also had poor bodies from Proline sadly.... Was gonna say I have a spare new rear bed as I never run them but sounds like you've got a better option worked out now anyway!!

As for the rings.... I got pink and purple ones too!! 🤣 And love them!..

Lastly, with regards getting the body lower, I'm afraid the only way is to lose some of the doors and grills.. Check my Toyzuki out for extreme cutting - though I think you want more scale appearance where I go for performance at the expense of scale...

1 hour ago, stimpy said:

Looking good man!! I have also had poor bodies from Proline sadly.... Was gonna say I have a spare new rear bed as I never run them but sounds like you've got a better option worked out now anyway!!

As for the rings.... I got pink and purple ones too!! 🤣 And love them!..

Lastly, with regards getting the body lower, I'm afraid the only way is to lose some of the doors and grills.. Check my Toyzuki out for extreme cutting - though I think you want more scale appearance where I go for performance at the expense of scale...

I have two spare beds myself now :lol:

As for lowering, I don't want to get the body any lower I don't think, pretty happy with how it sits, but need to check how it looks when the tyres actually arrive and are on.

My issue is front bumper mount, if you check the picture you see how far up the grill my chassis rails sit.

I think I will honestly just want up cutting some groove in the body, then reinforce behind it and be done with it.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

So I couldn't decide if this shell was getting the full chop or not, then this happened.

Getting ready for surgery lol.

b1XORip.jpg

And chopped!

I43UZxQ.jpg

So that's that mystery solved.

Pulled some of the film off the shell to check just how bad the scoring is underneath, it's not as bad as previous ones, but the shop is still trying to sort something out for me with Pro-line.

I still think any defects are unacceptable on a £55 bodyshell.

Sat real low now, just how I wanted it.

My only real issue I can see now is the attachment of a front bumper, but I do have a couple of options.

Grooves in the bodyshell at the front which will probably be hidden by the bumper anyway, or maybe a small lightweight 3d printed bumper to attach to the bodyshell itself.

I don't really want to raise the front if I can help it and want to keep the full height of the grill.

Suggestions are welcome on that one though.

r8wvzh0.jpg

I also think I will go in a different direction with the rear bed, I was going to make one the same, or very very close to my original one, but I don't think I will bother now, I think I will just make a chassis width plate to put the rad and battery on, maybe a reg plate and possibly some small lighting and be done with it, it's going to be more for performance than scale looks and since I won't compete I don't need scale points, but time will tell with that.

k86ZyNV.jpg

And I got my new SSD green beadlocks rings on my Assassins.

The shade of green is going to be different to the body, which is what I wanted anyway.

I also removed almost 200g of wheel weights, not necessary for this build... Yet... Been informed my Growlers should be here within 10 days, customs delay dependant of course.

MWiedGz.jpg

And the elecs arrived, or at least the motor and ESC did, still awaiting my servo.

H1zVrWn.jpg 

That's all for now, stay tuned for more :D

I had an Axial chevvy body arrive with about 3 dints in the shell right where you would notice it most i sent it back and got refund, as it was to be a bit of a show body rather than basher

I finalized the battery tray, I say battery tray, it's a small piece of styrene, with two holes in it and some carbon wrap... But still, lighter and less visible than the stock one, also allows me to run my 2900 Overland 3s packs if I do wish, although these 1500 Nano-Techs give good run times surprisingly.

Elecs all in and about as neat as an install as I could do with the space I had and without flipped the transmission around.

9Z1ofKb.jpg 

coX31Lh.jpg 

• Like 3

Body magnets are on Means Business and started work on the rear mount for the body, since a couple of people asked about how I mounted the body last time I thought I would show, it's very simple, no real skill involved, just a bit of time and measuring/cutting.

No2Xjoq.jpg 

A quick template made up

6Fq4cO2.jpg 

Note that this particular chassis has a curved chassis, so everything must be done with the side pieces in place.

m08Q2e3.jpg 

Cut little by little, this bit can be annoying, they obviously need to be at the same height, but it's very difficult to measure, so each side just needs doing a few mm at a time until you feel it's right, then it sits nice and level like mine is.

I haven't made it as low as I typically would because I intend to run some sliders, so once they are made/sourced, I might lower it a tad more to meet them.

yKqUsHe.jpg 

And it now sits perfectly straight and level on the rear, both sides and front.

Note, the film on the shell wasn't done by accident, Pro-line needed to see the score marks under the film for proof it wasn't just on the film.

B1P44x8.jpg 

znv575O.jpg 

prw7CX8.jpg 

And that's it, it's really very simple, but as a few asked last time around I thought I'd show my 'method' if you can call it that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DartmoorTrails said:

Nice and neat oho👍

Do you think you'll see the scuff marks when painted?

Well my other Power Wagon is the same (Pro-line have admitted it's a fault with the vacuum forming, but appear to be doing nothing to fix it) and when painted it's not quite as visible, also the bed should hide a little bit too.

Fingers crossed it shouldn't be too bad, if it is I will just paint the outside.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Redback said:

Green mean machine! What tires are those? Got any plans for a bed or inner wheel arches or going light clean?

It will have a very very basic bed, for lightness and keeping any weight up front.

Yes it will get arches as soon as my styrene arrives :D 

Tyres are 1.9 Pitbull Growlers, one of the very best all round tyres available.

On 23/11/2020 at 19:30, Oh How Original said:

Well several issues with the painting of the body means I will most likely paint the outside, so the colour will change slightly, but here's a picture of the colour it will roughly be.

My Growlers also came in from Amain, avoided customs which is always a bonus, and Royal Fail ripoff fee.

I have also had a bit of a change with electronics, while I intended to run this brushless, I have since decided I think the Gatekeeper will benefit most from brushless and I've got these motors sat doing nothing, so I've put a new 1080 and Holmes motor in this build now.

The wiring is also a tiny bit neater without that huge plug from the HW system.

I think the tyres suit it well personally, in terms of size and tread pattern, overall I am happy how it is.

Had an issue with that 'premium' Kopropo servo horn, basically it's absolute crap and gone in the bin, advertised as 25t, but won't go on any 23, 24 or 25t servos I have, weird, won't buy another.

28hZ4Ap.jpg

QAUdfFr.jpg 

Probably a good choice going brushed in this and swapping the power to the Gatekeeper oho.

I've found https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=441301 do the job perfectly well for servo horns now. I used to order in from wherever so it's a relief to find something close to home and available in a couple of days.

Wheels and tyres look great👍