• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Arrma Mojave EXB

.AJ.

There are definitely some clever designs appearing from different manufacturers that are very effective at keeping muck out of the chassis, good to see the industry pushing forward. 

Are your diffs sorted? The limited slip versions were having issues?

It was the open version of the new style diff  that had the issues, originally the Kraton EXB had a open rear, but all the EXB’s now have limited slip diffs all round. From what I can work out it was the spacer that replaces the limiting plates in the open diff that cause the problem. Either way no one has reported any issue with the Mojave diffs, smaller wheels definitely help, the proof will be when the next lot of Kratons are released 👍 

I managed to get one of these as a Christmas project for £500 in a Black Friday deal. Got a max 6 for it and a surpass rocket 4585 1580kv that Tomley RC recommended. Just putting a JX 46kg HV servo in, so will be a much cheaper build than AJ’s.

AJ - what oil do the diffs have to start with? I wasn’t planning on swapping the diff oil but I do have some that I bought for the Kronos that I could put in - 30k, 300k, 100k. Mine won’t be as power fuss yours so I might be alright with the stock diff oil?

Certainly looks like a well built truck so far. I seem to be following your footsteps on some of these RCs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 15/11/2020 at 12:04, .AJ. said:

It was the open version of the new style diff  that had the issues, originally the Kraton EXB had a open rear, but all the EXB’s now have limited slip diffs all round. From what I can work out it was the spacer that replaces the limiting plates in the open diff that cause the problem. Either way no one has reported any issue with the Mojave diffs, smaller wheels definitely help, the proof will be when the next lot of Kratons are released 👍 

It was a manufacturing error in the open diffs, with tolerances being too high. That's why some Kraton EXB diffs held up fine, others exploded on the first run. They can all be salvaged with proper shimming, it's just that the factory got the shimming (partially very) wrong. The rear diff in the "new" Kraton EXB is different from front and centre as well - it has only one limiting plate, as opposed to three like the others. 

I'll certainly be looking into removing the plate and shimming it correctly - i think i'd prefer an open rear, but gotta see for myself how it runs with a "soft LSD" first. Motor/ESC are now in the  UK, just waiting for the dreaded customs letter. Then, it's waiting until middle of december. 😭

4 hours ago, Goddinaw said:

I managed to get one of these as a Christmas project for £500 in a Black Friday deal. Got a max 6 for it and a surpass rocket 4585 1580kv that Tomley RC recommended. Just putting a JX 46kg HV servo in, so will be a much cheaper build than AJ’s.

AJ - what oil do the diffs have to start with? I wasn’t planning on swapping the diff oil but I do have some that I bought for the Kronos that I could put in - 30k, 300k, 100k. Mine won’t be as power fuss yours so I might be alright with the stock diff oil?

Certainly looks like a well built truck so far. I seem to be following your footsteps on some of these RCs!

Welcome to the club! You got a killer deal for £500, was that instock or a preorder? 

Diff wise with the oils you have I would be than happy starting with 100k in the front, 300k centre and 30k rear 👍 

I would check the diffs even if you were not planning to change the oil, Arrma are well know to be pretty stingy with the oil 😂 

• Like 1

Welcome to the club! You got a killer deal for £500, was that instock or a preorder? 

Diff wise with the oils you have I would be than happy starting with 100k in the front, 300k centre and 30k rear [emoji106] 

I would check the diffs even if you were not planning to change the oil, Arrma are well know to be pretty stingy with the oil [emoji23] 

Thanks! It was a bit of luck - I’d spotted this site called appliance electronics that mainly sells kitchen appliances but also some decent prices on a small range of RCs. They happened to have a ‘damaged’ Mojave EXB - it just had a slight crease in the shell on one side that you can’t really see. They then did a Black Friday deal for 5% off all RCs including the Mojave that they’d already reduced! Ordered it yesterday and it arrived today.

I’ll open the diffs and have a look then and top them up at least. Is it fairly easy to get the diffs out - should be while it’s a roller?

If you work out what to do about the body posts snapping please let me know - both Kevin Talbot and Tomley RC broke theirs. I’m thinking of not putting the polystyrene/ padding into the mounting (as they both did) as this may allow the mounts to flex more and not snap. Probably needs a clever 3D printed insert to strengthen them - hopefully someone dreams one up!

Looking forward to watching yours develop.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, .AJ. said:

Sunday, but it will be fully cleaned afterwards, so you won’t be able to tell it’s been run 🤣🤣🤣

Lets hope so ay 🤞  she's a beauty 

Are you going to try and get any footage while you're out with it on Sunday? Be interesting to see how she goes. Which batteries are you going to run?

• Like 1