• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Crawler

Redback

3 hours ago, Eclipsed4ever said:

I've just bit the bullet and bought one of these: https://www.fusionhobbies.com/product/gm51200-gmade-r1-transmission-set

I'm hoping it has everything in it I need. Also bought some grease with it. So one quick question for you... do I need the Mauler shaft FTX8757 or can I just cut down the outlaw rear shaft? Struggling to find the mauler one. Also, is the Mauler one a metal item?

I think everything is on it's way to hopefully getting a much more user friendly Outlaw. Sick of taking it out and getting frustrated with it...

I’ve gone for the austar clone-alike gearbox off eBay and am planning to cut down a regular Outlaw rear shaft for the front drive

18 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

I’ve gone for the austar clone-alike gearbox off eBay and am planning to cut down a regular Outlaw rear shaft for the front drive

I purchased the Austar gearbox for my Outlaw conversion but I've lost it in the garage somewhere...I need to find it so I can fabricate a mounting plate as it doesn't have a flat underside.

Hoping to pick up my new brushless Holmes Hobbies motor from the office next Tuesday. 

Still need an ESC though.

I swore I wouldn't spend too much on this truck but the electrics alone will match what I paid for it!

I like the party trick!

• Like 1

@Eclipsed4everany reason you went with the revolver, are you not worried about dirt and muk getting into it, i took mine out for use in the summer it was also way to slow being such a low kv.
watch the temps on 3s running to long seemed to get hot hard to tell without blowing air through it and feeling the air or with a temp gun.
Did you get an email about the g1 gearbox?

2 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

I purchased the Austar gearbox for my Outlaw conversion but I've lost it in the garage somewhere...I need to find it so I can fabricate a mounting plate as it doesn't have a flat underside.

Hoping to pick up my new brushless Holmes Hobbies motor from the office next Tuesday. 

Still need an ESC though.

I swore I wouldn't spend too much on this truck but the electrics alone will match what I paid for it!

I like the party trick!

What esc you looking at? I would go with a castle sidewinder 4 esc if your wanting crawling modulation, as a bonus they come with highkv sensored motors as the esc alone are out of stock forever the combo is pretty good value,  also got a sensored motor for if you want to move to a mamba x or another sensored esc later.
You guys locked your diffs or gummed them? I'm not using bluetack anymore, went to clean it out and rebuild a diff, impossible to clean out, so just use very stiff diff fluid in the diffs from now on.

2 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

I cant see the videos for some reason, love the rear steer setup, might have issues with your battery placment with the new gearbox, intrested to see how you solve that.

6 hours ago, Eclipsed4ever said:

I've just bit the bullet and bought one of these: https://www.fusionhobbies.com/product/gm51200-gmade-r1-transmission-set

I'm hoping it has everything in it I need. Also bought some grease with it. So one quick question for you... do I need the Mauler shaft FTX8757 or can I just cut down the outlaw rear shaft? Struggling to find the mauler one. Also, is the Mauler one a metal item?

I think everything is on it's way to hopefully getting a much more user friendly Outlaw. Sick of taking it out and getting frustrated with it...

I was going to have an issue running the outlaw rear shaft at the front so opted for a mauler one. There's also 3 diffrent rear shafts for the outlaw, a plastic headed one, a plastic metal headed one, and a full metal one.
You will need the metal rear one not a bangood or ebay knock off the metal is weak and will snap under load.
FTX one is a must and sadly a pretty bad product on arrival, you must threadlock and shrink wrap it (if you dont use shrink wrap it will spit pins over and over i promise you that)
The plastic ones will twist, never had one snap but it twisted it up like a spring.
As for the front shaft.
I think i went with mauler shaft to ensure the clearances around the cv joints was good, also as the drive is high torque and the fxt plastic shafts twist, having a more solid front shaft i felt would be better, the mauler is still plastic but way more beafy and better designed to not twist i wasnt sure at the start but it can handel the torque and the rpm.
Any rear driveshaft up front should work aslong as it looks like the mauler one where the diff cups mount to the drive shaft outputs, this is were clearences are tight and the outlaw ones wouldnt work.
I can say i have had no failures on the mauler shafts after many many hours of use, the mods here are proven and have many miles on the clock.

If you use anything else it might not be able to take the power and might fail, please bare that in mind.

Edited by Redback

I’d been looking at the Sidewinder 4 @Redback but as you say, they  out of stock on their own. To try and keep costs down, I was going to go for a Hobbywing 10BL60

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-quicrun-wp-10bl60-bl-esc/rc-car-products/382833

Not helped by me going down my typical ‘impulse buy’ route of the Holmes Hobbies 2500kv Revolver. If I’d waited I would probably have ended up with a Castle combo.

• Like 1

The motor might be better in another rig, or resold. Depends on what you plan to do and how fast you want to go. It will also be in a spot that will get it caked in mud and its can is open if a stick or bit of stone gets in an cracks off a magnet, thats a sad day.
In my lads truck we use this.
Hobbywing Ezrun-3656 4700Kv Motor
https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/264759/

It works well on the castle esc for modulation and has tons of punch on hobbywing for bashing.
That esc should be ok, i havent used it tho so cant speak for its performance or tweaking.

Other motor combos that should give good performace here.

Hobbywing MAX10 ESC Combo With 3652Sl 4000Kv Brushless Motor
https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/300323/

Hobbywing MAX10 SCT ESC Combo With 3660Sl 4600Kv Brushless Motor

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=420926

The stronger esc the more dragbreak the better as you will need it.

Edited by Redback

It won't let me load your videos.... although I'm guessing its some rear wheel steer action? 🧐

3 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

@Redback I've ordered the full steer rear shaft so that should sort that out. It's not actually been terrible on the plastic one, I think I've smashed 2 or 3? But I'm expecting the extra torque to smash the plastic ones hence the change. I'll see what a plastic rear looks like as a front shaft. If it will go in there then great, if not I'll see if I can find a Mauler one. I would expect that rear shafts will be under a lot more force than fronts as the front is generally going light under power so will only have a limited amount of grip. Obviously if the front is dug in somewhere or reversing up hill this might not be the case. Either way, will see if I can blow it to bits!

Yes I see your message about fusion... I best give them a ring tomorrow! Thank you! They were about the only place listing in stock so could very well be a mistake on their part. Best get back to looking for parts!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Eclipsed4ever said:

It won't let me load your videos.... although I'm guessing its some rear wheel steer action? 🧐

I think it’s more me than you, I’m not very talented at getting my massive iPhone videos into usable internet formats. 

Yes, full four wheel steer with front and rear controlled independently - so super tight turning circle, front steer only, rear steer only or crabbing - it’s fantastic for crawling, front and rear both have a 25kg servo each. 

Just now, walkbythesea said:

I think it’s more me than you, I’m not very talented at getting my massive iPhone videos into usable internet formats. 

Yes, full four wheel steer with front and rear controlled independently - so super tight turning circle, front steer only, rear steer only or crabbing - it’s fantastic for crawling, front and rear both have a 25kg servo each. 

Very cool, did you use the ftx kanyon steering turnbuckles?
Maybe just put the videos on youtube, they do the compression or try google drive they also do some conversion.

20 minutes ago, Redback said:

Very cool, did you use the ftx kanyon steering turnbuckles?
Maybe just put the videos on youtube, they do the compression or try google drive they also do some conversion.

It does fit the Kanyon as it’s based on the standard FTX solid axle, but it’s actually sold as the Mighty Thunder (monster truck) rear steer kit  FTX8461, total bargain, under £15 plus a servo. 

You can tag the two steering servos together with a Y cable, but I use a 6 channel DumboRC system and toggle the rear steer independently on a thumb toggle switch which gives me more options like the rear steer or crab. 

• Like 3

Hmm, food for thought @Redback, thank you. I didn’t think this through very well, did I??!! All that spreadsheet work and I took my eye off the prize!!  Ah well, I’m sure I can find a home for it in my JK or the SCX10iii I have yet to build. 

I’d looked at the MAX10 combo, in hindsight I should have gone down that route!!!

Need to get myself the metal driveshaft too. Right, better draw up that Modelsport order...

11 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

It does fit the Kanyon as it’s based on the standard FTX solid axle, but it’s actually sold as the Mighty Thunder (monster truck) rear steer kit  FTX8461, total bargain, under £15 plus a servo. 

You can tag the two steering servos together with a Y cable, but I use a 6 channel DumboRC system and toggle the rear steer independently on a thumb toggle switch which gives me more options like the rear steer or crab. 

Well aren't you a PITA! That's awesome! Thankfully you were just in time though so that kit and an extra servo went on to the wheelspin models order! I'm now eagerly awaiting all the parts for the new transmission and a 4WS kit! Can't wait to try and sort this thing out and have some fun with it.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Eclipsed4ever said:

I've attached my excel sheet if that helps at all. Just fill in the yellow cells to play around. It's got @Redback R1 & R2 on there for comparison to 😉

RC Car Gearing.xlsx 16.97 kB · 2 downloads

I can't get that to open correctly at all, it's coming to me as an XLM file as just contains text junk when it opens

6 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

I can't get that to open correctly at all, it's coming to me as an XLM file as just contains text junk when it opens

21 minutes ago, Eclipsed4ever said:

I've attached my excel sheet if that helps at all. Just fill in the yellow cells to play around. It's got @Redback R1 & R2 on there for comparison to 😉

RC Car Gearing.xlsx 16.97 kB · 4 downloads

Thats awesome but same issue as above.

Can you put it on google drive or something? Thank you

11 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

My Austar 1:10 arrived today so I should make some more progress on it tomorrow - but I will have to make a plate to mount it to the plastic chassis. 

1AA08B3F-7422-40EB-8E0C-2E572A78C22B.jpeg

That's the one I have - if I could find it! Have misplaced all my Outlaw parts in the garage.  Good luck with the plate, looking forward to seeing it fitted.

Edited by Badcrumble