• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Transmitters. What are you using. Stick or gun type

Hey guys, following up from my post the other day on general RC forum,im stuck in the mud on buying a new transmitter. I'm old school so used to stick but going with options on net most are gun type nowadays? Reason for upgrading is I'm still using running gear I used as a teenager! Do I buy gun type and get used to it? 🤔🤔 Help. 😂

• Like 1

I've just got back into RC cars again myself after 20+yrs and got a gun style transmitter with my Hyper VSe but couldn't get on with it at all. 

I have it a couple of weeks but have just upgraded to a Futaba T4GRS (https://www.modelsport.co.uk/futaba-t4grs-2-4ghz-t-fhss-4-channel-combo/rc-car-products/388801) and I'm loving it and not regretting it at all!! 

• Like 1

for Hellis, planes, scale boats and tanks i use a stick tx

for cars i use the gun style did take a wee bit getting used to but wouldnt use anything else for cars now 🍻

• Like 2

I used to have sticks when I was younger and hated the idea of gun types. Eventually I gave in and tried it. They’re second nature now and I have much more control because instead of a thumb controlling the small movement of a stick in order to steer I have my thumb and fingers gripping and turning a circle which is a greater distance of movement. This allows for much more precision which, with the speeds these things go now is a very good thing.

• Like 3

I'm old skool stick types. Tried gun years ago, didn't like it but can see the appeal of this for other people.

if it works for you, then it works for you. :)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tony said:

I'm old skool stick types. Tried gun years ago, didn't like it but can see the appeal of this for other people.

if it works for you, then it works for you. :)

if you persevere with it i think you may well prefer them over stick types 

it did take a bit of getting used to as like you my tx's were all stick type but getting rtr cars they came with pistol grip type so had to get used to them 

i certainly wont go back to stick for cars . planes hellis boats tanks then stick but cars pistol grip 🍻

• Like 1

I've gone for a pistol grip, purely because it was in the kit I bought. Like you though, I've always used a stick controller and I'm a bit of a traditionalist (read: old-fashioned). Will see how I get on with the pistol grip. I reckon my lad will want his own RC car as soon as he sees mine up and running, which will give me the opportunity to change the transmitter.  I suppose kids do have their uses 😂

• Like 1

Wheel Tx are far more intuitive for controlling a car. Sticks just don't match the movements of a car. 

At the end of the day, use what works for you. 

Also, when wheel Tx came about, they were generally with toy grade cars (from what I can remember), so I hated the thought of them at first. Sticks just had that hobby grade look to them. However, once I'd had a go with a wheel Tx, there was no going back. 

• Like 1

There seems to be a lot of people prepared to pay a premium for sticks; compare the prices paid for used Etronix/Code/Tamco 3channel stick sets with the price of Flysky GT3xx wheel of basically similar spec.

• Like 1