• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

oodboo’s DF03 Dark Impact

Got myslef a DF03 Dark Impact the other day and I’ve started putting it together. Thought I’d share some info from the build as there doesn’t seem to be much about the DF03 on here.

That is the first time I’ve put together a Tamiya ball diff. Was a new experience and I’m not sure I’ve done a good job of it. I think I may have over tightened to screw that holds it together but it’s together now. If it breaks it’s a problem for another day. A read somewhere about running it in a bit with a drill, so I done that as well. Just put one end in the drill, held on to the middle and spun it. Tightened it up again, repeated this a few times as the balls weren’t seated correctly when I first put it together. Hopefully I’ll make a better job of the other one. 

I’ve got the motor on now but I’ve only taken one photo so far. I’ll get some more before I move detailed photos before I go any further.

C3288C19-B8F3-4930-95A2-483F9DCE3D2A.jpeg

Edited by oodboo
Corrected title
  • Like 1

Made some more progress last night.

I was surprised how much play there is in the pins for the rear arms. Feels like they could be almost 2mm shorter. Those little e-clips are a PITA, never been a fan of them and these seem to be in a vulnerable position. I’ll see if they’re problematic before worrying about an alternate.

FC4B6AB4-FB27-4A0D-98E5-58F1871ED478.jpeg

BBD64270-BB06-4E03-B78B-EF62373F2230.jpeg

• Like 1

Rear end goes on the chassis then it’s on with the front diff.

ADB184E1-BBF2-4FCB-BB4C-4C4B1E4B1990.jpeg

This went together a lot better than the first one. Would be good if you got a spare to practice on lol. I pushed the balls into place before assembling the diff this time and everything went a lot smoother.

FF3BCB33-6C6A-42AD-96D3-5BABB633BBFB.jpeg

The diff then goes in the front gearbox which attaches to the chassis and some steering parts go in as well.

3571BC47-80B4-46BE-B5B5-CF09CDD354D0.jpeg

E01FAEB2-5892-4AF0-9F1A-D2371ECDBF3E.jpeg

I feel like I’m missing a few things here compared to how long I spent building this last night but the point is, it’s coming together.

Edited by oodboo
Re-order content
  • Like 1

Front arms are on now. Again, there seems to be a lot of unneeded length on the hinge pins. Again, I’ll wait to see if it causes any problems before looking for a fix. Not point fixing something that isn’t broke right. 

Front turny bits went on without a hitch and then I got the rear shocks built and fitted. First tamiya kit I’ve built that comes with hard shock oil, everything else has come with the yellow soft stuff. All the parts are now laid out ready to build the front shocks but I got called away.

0198A128-CE3B-4652-8B84-64A67155B284.jpeg

BFD66979-904B-4C8A-8BFD-BA09235346C9.jpeg

43539EC2-9144-4ADB-9275-EE09444B5BA3.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChrisT said:

I like the idea of using body pins to stop the bearings falling out? never thought of that. I've always left them til last when the wheels go on.

I haven’t put those bearings in yet, it was just to hold them together while I was putting it together. Helps a lot with the front. They’re not really serving any purpose now so I’lol put the bearings in a put them back to work 👍

• Thanks 1

Ok, so it's broken already. I managed to strip the threads out the first nut I put in. The tiny little m2 but that holds the rear diff together. Fortunately the rear diff is very easy to access, unfortunately I don't think I have any spares. At least it gives me some time to get the body done while I sort the diff.

IMG_20200606_084526.jpg

• Sad 1

Still struggling to get the diff set up correctly. Too tight feels wrong, too lose and you loose drive to those wheels. In stock set up it’s getting slaughtered by my son’s TT02B. Hope I can get this set up correctly as I like the buggy and I’d rather not shelf it and buy a TT02B.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oodboo said:

Still struggling to get the diff set up correctly. Too tight feels wrong, too lose and you loose drive to those wheels. In stock set up it’s getting slaughtered by my son’s TT02B. Hope I can get this set up correctly as I like the buggy and I’d rather not shelf it and buy a TT02B.

It is a nice car  and putting it on the shelf  is not what you want , but  ball diffs I hate them they are most of the time a pain to adjust and do not like brushless power, If I can not put a gear diff in a car I am not buying it,  I have put a kyosho gear diff in my zahhak with some mods because of the ball diff,  I have looked at the df-03 to but there are nog gear diffs for it so it is not for me, but you have a great looking car😃

• 1 month later...
On 13/06/2020 at 16:43, oodboo said:

glad im not the only one that struggles with the tamiya ball diffs, got a db-01 durga and i still struggle with it, very high maintenance, sticks to the ground like glue though  :)

the durga has very expensive optional gear diffs maybe your one has the same option, on the plus side you have a proper drive shaft instead of ball diffs and belts like the durga lol

Edited by Yrkoon

I don't think there is a ball diff option for the df03, got it working now though.

Bit if an update. Everything was running well so I thought I'd take it out the house for it's first proper run. Within about 30 seconds it slipped off the side of a small table top ramp at a skate park. Fell about 18" onto the back wheel and broke the shock mount, the bit the hold the upper arm. I've got a replacement part on order but until that arrives I've cut out a piece of 3mm aluminium and screwed it in place. It's not pretty but it works. 

With all the problems I've had with this car I'm reluctant to take it out. Replacement parts are scarce, the parts I've ordered are on the slow boat from Japan. Upgrade parts are no longer in production. I'm ready to cut my losses and shelf it.

IMG_20200702_202955.jpg

IMG_20200712_151237.jpg

17 hours ago, oodboo said:

I don't think there is a ball diff option for the df03, got it working now though.

Bit if an update. Everything was running well so I thought I'd take it out the house for it's first proper run. Within about 30 seconds it slipped off the side of a small table top ramp at a skate park. Fell about 18" onto the back wheel and broke the shock mount, the bit the hold the upper arm. I've got a replacement part on order but until that arrives I've cut out a piece of 3mm aluminium and screwed it in place. It's not pretty but it works. 

With all the problems I've had with this car I'm reluctant to take it out. Replacement parts are scarce, the parts I've ordered are on the slow boat from Japan. Upgrade parts are no longer in production. I'm ready to cut my losses and shelf it.

IMG_20200702_202955.jpg

IMG_20200712_151237.jpg

dang pity to hear that, it is a really good looking model.