• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

WR-02CB Comical Grasshopper For Some Fun!

the chassis looks good, are you going to paint the body box art or do some other color ?

I am going to build my wr-02 with the jimny body and long arms from a wt-01 and stadium thunder wheels and tires I have all off these parts laying around.

Edited by No brains

On 31/03/2020 at 10:47, John Booth said:

Looking good mate. Love the scale garage! 👍

Thanks very much.

On 31/03/2020 at 11:56, willb said:

That's excellent! Look forward to seeing that run, especially on a 13.5t :good:

I've had a quick run round the patio and I think 13.5t is spot on for this buggy. Even on nimhs!

On 31/03/2020 at 14:45, Oh How Original said:

Also considered buying one of these just for giggles... Dads still got a Holiday buggy, regret selling my original Grasshopper, they were good fun in a small space.

I've got a re-re Grasshopper to build up next as a beach basher. Never had one as a kid, but it's so iconic I thought I would now.

On 31/03/2020 at 15:39, No brains said:

the chassis looks good, are you going to paint the body box art or do some other color ?

I am going to build my wr-02 with the jimny body and long arms from a wt-01 and stadium thunder wheels and tires I have all off these parts laying around.

Thanks. I'm probably going to go with either silver or green for the body. I'll see. Love the Jimny body on these chassis. And the Wild Willy 2 too.

• Like 1

Managed a little more work on the Comical Buggy this afternoon.

First job; the bumper. I've never liked the look of the big spring loaded bumpers on these WR-02's, so decided to remove the springs and chop up the kit bumper. Much happier.

IlCM8HH.jpg

lovpWL6.jpg

Z1FAoPK.jpg

Next up, painting the driver. I'm not great at painting figures. I always seem to end up rushing it and then wishing I hadn't. I've tried to take my time on this one, a little, anyway.

First thing was to fill in the hole in his arm. I just used some styrene bar I had.

XcamtYT.jpg

On to the head. I screwed and glued it together, then filled in the hole in the back of his head, and sanded the joint. On to a couple of coats of plastic primer.

HuU8GI9.jpg

Followed by masking off the face using some Tamiya masking tape for curves... I love this tape.

haguPZC.jpg

Yym0s5H.jpg

aeCsO5r.jpg

And fast forward (because I got too engrossed to take any more pics) to the finished fella.

65BAKjs.jpg

Next up, the body.

M8mIUA1.jpg

I decided to paint the roll cage rather than using the supplied decals. Kind of regretted it at first purely because of the amount if time it took to mask up. About 2 hours in total! I used some of the masking tape for curves again, amazing stuff.

LYsu5Dp.jpg

K3MlV4P.jpg

Really pleased with the results. Well worth the time and effort.

UoTPk5h.jpg

LLTQTkm.jpg

Next up will be the final body colour. It won't be box art. Either silver or green. I'll sleep on it and decide tomorrow.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, John Booth said:

I'm sure it will look great.  You got me thinking about one of these kits now !!!!😁

I was a little unsure when i first saw these comical buggies, but i have to say I'm totally converted. I've had a Lunchbox for 10 years and love it, but this is so much better. It handles properly but is still loads of fun pulling wheelies on demand. Plus I'm a sucker for any vehicle with Willy behind the wheel! 

This afternoon I finished off Willy. Painting isn't my strong point, but he didn't turn out too bad I don't think.

OAaYDmX.jpg

3kdXJD2.jpg

I added a little bit of 'flesh wash' to his face.

yW7EtUS.jpg

After some deliberation I decided to go with silver instead of green.

bG48WLk.jpg

QtD0Usw.jpg

And, as I usually do, backed the inside with a dark colour to hide the underneath a little when the body is on.

pa2bjsZ.jpg

While I was waiting for the paint to cure I made a start on the lights. I'm using 5mm reds for the rear and 5mm bright whites for the fronts. The fronts will need to be unplugged to remove the body, and I also wanted the rears to have the ability to be unplugged in case I ever need to replace them.

So, I started to make up some 2 into 1 plugs using some JST connectors.

7S2D8dU.jpg

Taped together while I solder them together and then crimp them in to the plug pins.

dm9IcFy.jpg

I've had this specific crimping tool for a year or so, and it's well worth the money (about £15 I think). Until then when ever I shortened receiver or servo wires I just crimped them with some pliers, with mixed results. This tool is perfect everytime.

IqFkxD3.jpg

pjIrd9J.jpg

SfpzZjM.jpg

All nicely tucked away in this small electronics box.

RPQT1MV.jpg

I bent up a small piece of black styrene at the front of the chassis to house it.

l9Wu6Qg.jpg

Nice fit, and reasonably neat.

tDdbCmU.jpg

And, lastly tonight I just wanted to see what the body looked like with the stripes on. More coming tomorrow.

Fkbo9cM.jpg

Apologies for the large amount of pics. I do like to take a lot of pics as I build. It's good to refer back to them in the future...

• Like 3

Oh man, I really can’t add anything more to what I usually say, but you are certainly one of the few that can make a ordinary build into something quite special and for me less is more on the decals, looks perfect as is!!

also mate, you can’t get away with garage pics now, we want to see “wheelies” and some “gettin air” pics now please :whistling:

as ever mate, cracking job. :36_1_32v[1]:

On 03/04/2020 at 17:14, Gaz! said:

Oh man, I really can’t add anything more to what I usually say, but you are certainly one of the few that can make a ordinary build into something quite special and for me less is more on the decals, looks perfect as is!!

also mate, you can’t get away with garage pics now, we want to see “wheelies” and some “gettin air” pics now please :whistling:

as ever mate, cracking job. :36_1_32v[1]:

Thank you Gaz, much appreciated. If i had a longer garden i would definitely get some action shots. I'll see what i can do. It wheelies amazingly on the patio though... 

On 03/04/2020 at 20:44, John Booth said:

Great build mate, really enjoyed this...but, yes....get some a action shots up !

BTW...you've inspired me and, I've gone and ordered one !!! 😁

Fantastic. They are such a fun kit to build and details. It's what i love about Tamiya. You don't just get it out of the box all done and blast it around. You have to create it yourself!

• 1 month later...

Love this! 😍

I built a comical frog recently for my young daughter to learn to drive but I'm thinking I might build another for myself and go wild with the hop ups!

Some of the shots appear to show extended hex's, do these work ok with the standard length axles and can you share the part number please?

Thanks 😀

2 hours ago, jph said:

Love this! 😍

I built a comical frog recently for my young daughter to learn to drive but I'm thinking I might build another for myself and go wild with the hop ups!

Some of the shots appear to show extended hex's, do these work ok with the standard length axles and can you share the part number please?

Thanks 😀

@jph

Thanks very much. I had a bit of hassle with the axles. I'll try to explain:

The M-Chassis fronts weren't long enough for the  #54610 extended hexes i wanted to use. So i reverted back to the kit 4wd axles and just ground of the end where a CVD would fit in to neaten it up. I then etch primed and painted the bare steel.

On the rear i had a similar issue. I bought the #53847 46mm  TA05 shafts which work with the extended wishbones on the WR02CB chassis. However, the axle ends (threaded part) were also not long enough for the extended hexes. I also had a set of #54394 39mm WR-02 CVD's for a Wild Willy 2 I'm now building. The axles ends on these CVD's were as long as the kit fronts. 

So, i ended up using the axles end from the #54394 CVD's and dog bone shafts from the #53847. This gave me the 46mm CVD with the long threaded ends to work with the extended hexes.

And, the other pieces I had left over have made another pair of 39mm CVD's for the Wild Willy 2, but I'm having to use thinner hexes on this.

I hope that makes sense?

8 hours ago, toyolien said:

@jph

Thanks very much. I had a bit of hassle with the axles. I'll try to to explain................

........So, i ended up using the axles end from the #54394 CVD's and dog bone shafts from the #53847. This gave me the 46mm CVD with the long threaded ends to work with the extended hexes.

And, the other pieces I had left over have made another pair of 39mm CVD's for the Wild Willy 2, but I'm having to use thinner hexes on this.

I hope that makes sense?

@toyolien

Thanks for the detailed reply, it's much appreciated. 

What you described makes perfect sense, although not quite as straightforward as I'd hoped 😂

What is odd is that the Tamiya USA website list both the #54394 CVD and the #53847 CVD on the hop up list for the comical buggy;- 

https://www.tamiyausa.com/hop-ups/34382/B84page/1/ which is rather confusing!

I can see myself spending more on all these hop ups than on the kit itself! 😂

Just finished reading this with my tea & toast - very enjoyable, as always!  I really like the way you photograph everything so well, and provide lots of build details including part no's etc for specific hop-ups, very useful for others looking to do a similar build in the future.

One question though, what are those shocks?  Are they different shocks or kit ones with ali caps etc?

• 2 years later...
7 hours ago, Evoman said:

How did you fit the longer drive shaft exits on the rear so you can use the original 9mm hexes? there not in the TA05 shaft set as there for 4/5mm hexes. Thank you

Aah, I found that out too after buying the TA05 shafts. I then had to buy the WR-02 shafts too:

The #53792 (tt01) & #54394 (wr02) are the same length but the #54394 (wr02) come with the longer stub axles. These are both for the shorter WR-02 arms. If you want universals for the comical length arms these are #53847 (wr02cb). However, these don't come with the longer stub axles. On my comical I wanted it to be a little wider so I used the #54394 (wr02cb) shafts with the #53847 (wr02) stub axles. This allowed me to then use the longer 9mm hexes. (#54610)

Here's the option parts list for both the WR-02 and WR-02CB

https://d7z22c0gz59ng.cloudfront.net/cms/img/usr/inst/parts/wr02_PARTS_CATALOG.pdf

https://d7z22c0gz59ng.cloudfront.net/cms/img/usr/inst/parts/wr02cb_PARTS_CATALOG.pdf

Hope this helps.

Edited by toyolien