• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Coronavirus

Nick

22 hours ago, RCbutcher said:

Has anyone seen empty supermarket shelves or stores yet I keep reading about those in uk and that worries me more. 

Yep seen loads.

Selfish f**kers if you ask me and no need for it. 😡 

Home Bargains, Asda and Tesco locally all suffering with low stock or no stock of certain items ~ Paracetamol, pain killers even toothpaste low or out of stock. No toilet paper or kitchen rolls left in Home Bargains and Asda/Tesco only left with small 4 packs of toilet paper. 

Pasta all gone including Heinz Spaghetti. 

Problem is it spreads.

People "panic buy" clearing shelves and then other people "panic buy" when the stuff comes back in stock because they're panicking that it'll go out of stock again & the cycle continues. Mean while others who genuinely need the items as they have none suffer.  

13 hours ago, mond said:

Anyway, I work for 111, so we have to work regardless and since call numbers are rising well beyond anything we've seen before and the emergency measures PHE want, work is manic.

I know you're getting paid for what you do but thanks ~ must be a nightmare having to deal with all the calls. I'm sure I heard one branch saying they usually take 1000 calls on a busy Monday but this week it was 5000 calls! 😲

7 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

I don't know why people buy bog roll in supermarkets anyway, it's so much cheaper online, I buy enough for us three adults for the year roughly, for about £60.

For the amount I get, a supermarket would be about £250.

Do you have a link please? 

I usually pay £8 for 24 Asda own brand (Shades) loo rolls but if I can get cheaper decent quality ones online that'd be great to help me save money.  Thanks. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GMballistic said:

Yep seen loads.

Home Bargains, Asda and Tesco locally all suffering with low stock or no stock of certain items ~ Paracetamol, pain killers even toothpaste low or out of stock. No toilet paper or kitchen rolls left in Home Bargains and Asda/Tesco only left with small 4 packs of toilet paper. 

Problem is it spreads.

People "panic buy" clearing shelves and then other people "panic buy" when the stuff comes back in stock because they're panicking that it'll go out of stock again & the cycle continues. Mean while others who genuinely need the items as they have none suffer.  

I know you're getting paid for what you do but thanks ~ must be a nightmare having to deal with all the calls. I'm sure I heard one branch saying they usually take 1000 calls on a busy Monday but this week it was 5000 calls! 😲

I usually pay £8 for 24 Asda own brand (Shades) loo rolls but if I can get cheaper decent quality ones online that'd be great to help me save money.  Thanks. 

It's called Cusheen that I get, just checked and most appear to be out of stock and other places are selling it for £1 a roll, bloody ridiculous, I'm glad we've got quite a bit stocked up anyway just in case from my last order.

I paid £28 for 60... But the time before that it was £24 from memory for 60.

Or something like £41 for 120.

Have to wait until this silly nonsense is over with then it'll go back to being normal price.

I buy mine from this seller; https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/avantgardebrands

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GMballistic said:

Yep seen loads.

Problem is it spreads.

Yeah, we probably do 90 or so per hour during the day for the 6 or so million people we cover but last week was something else.  It was 10 times that number. The problems are then compounded as the service doesn't scale well nationally.  

The information is just so poor. People still think it's just flu. Its not even related.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, J.K said:

I work for an airline. Feeling quite vulnerable right now! :(

Any cheap flight going🤣 Cancun please £300 would be good and in the Hotel Zone Cheers

Edited by jony nitro
  • Haha 1

On 12/03/2020 at 19:17, Nick said:

So who gets to stay at home and browse the forum more?

Hard to predict how England will go!

Well my new Coffee Machine was due in from Italy it's been two weeks now, hello where is it and Air Ship  as well

Production here, So unless they want to install this into my front room, I'll be in tomorrow as usual

spacer.png

What's the real kicker for me,  Is I should be on a plane on the 26th for the holiday of a lifetime to Disney World, Over a year and half of planning, 7 grand in tickets and villa, Our friends who we are, (Were, Are, Who knows,) going with have had a surprise baby who is  now 5 months old in the same time it has taken to put this holiday together,.

We can get the ticket money back for Disney being closed, We will still loose Tesco points we used for the night hotel stay at Universal, The villa is harder, If Trump puts us on the no entry list then OK, If Home Office says don't travel to USA then it's OK, If Virgin let us move it, Then OK'ish, Our insurance dose say it covers Pandemic if it's in the region you are going, Otherwise we'er be turning up at Gatwick to sit around a Villa pool, I refuse to just flush 3000 grand down the toilet.

• Sad 1

I work for the postal service so there'll be no stopping for us until specifically told not to work. I also have my own man and van business, we're still operating with extra precautions in place, not sure how long that will last :(. We had our first family holiday booked to Spain at the end of May, right around when it's expected to peak in the UK. We've cancelled our accommodation but not sure of the best thing to do with flight, delay or push for a refund. 

First confirmed case in my city yesterday. So it begins....

Edited by everclear1984

21 hours ago, babylon said:

What's the real kicker for me,  Is I should be on a plane on the 26th for the holiday of a lifetime to Disney World, Over a year and half of planning, 7 grand in tickets and villa, Our friends who we are, (Were, Are, Who knows,) going with have had a surprise baby who is  now 5 months old in the same time it has taken to put this holiday together,.

We can get the ticket money back for Disney being closed, We will still loose Tesco points we used for the night hotel stay at Universal, The villa is harder, If Trump puts us on the no entry list then OK, If Home Office says don't travel to USA then it's OK, If Virgin let us move it, Then OK'ish, Our insurance dose say it covers Pandemic if it's in the region you are going, Otherwise we'er be turning up at Gatwick to sit around a Villa pool, I refuse to just flush 3000 grand down the toilet.

Sounds a nightmare, hope it works out. Tesco seem quite reasonable in their customer services when I've called them, maybe they'll be able to give some points back?

On 14/03/2020 at 11:15, babylon said:

Production here, So unless they want to install this into my front room, I'll be in tomorrow as usual

spacer.png

We have 2 like this in a cement factory 

People are going crazy, 2 drivers hurt today whilst trying to deliver to stores. People trying to grab goods before they are even off loaded. Warehouse is full to bursting, in bound deliveries are waiting all the way out the yard and out bound are completely flat out. Like every other retailer we are doing our best, just wish people would use some common sense, pull their heads out of the Facebook pages of doom and calm down. We will not run out of food, we will keep delivering. 

14 hours ago, spannermonkey said:

People are going crazy, 2 drivers hurt today whilst trying to deliver to stores. People trying to grab goods before they are even off loaded. Warehouse is full to bursting, in bound deliveries are waiting all the way out the yard and out bound are completely flat out. Like every other retailer we are doing our best, just wish people would use some common sense, pull their heads out of the Facebook pages of doom and calm down. We will not run out of food, we will keep delivering. 

It demonstrates how poorly No Deal planning was.  Lots of people saying how they'll just soldier on but when push comes to shove, the British public has a panic at the drop of the hat. The selfishness being shown right now is shocking. The actual people that need to isolate can't get what they need as the more able are stripping stores. 

• Like 1

True mond but trust me theres alot more nice people out there than selfish ones hear alot of communities coming together over this esp with eldery care help etc

our neighbours eldery i knocked on yesterday and did some shopping for him as he doesn t drive etc he always been good to me looking after my house when am away too :)

have to look at the good in bad times thats what makes us human 👍

There's 8 confirmed cases in my area. But now they're not releasing any more info about more cases 🙄.  I'm on imuno suppressants because of the arthritis. My anxiety depression etc keeps me in the house most of the time, so I'm not too worried. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mond said:

It demonstrates how poorly No Deal planning was.  Lots of people saying how they'll just soldier on but when push comes to shove, the British public has a panic at the drop of the hat. The selfishness being shown right now is shocking. The actual people that need to isolate can't get what they need as the more able are stripping stores. 

Can't see Brexit planning have much to do with it. Not everything is political. People are scared by the lack of factual information, too little has been done to provide this I agree but the government didn't suck out peoples common sense or morals. People needing to self isolate should be supported by their communities but due to the current digital trend I dare bet there are many people who never speak to their neighbours let alone know their names. Our street is about 50% bungalows full of the more mature, not one of them has need to shop if they do not wish too as the rest of us are supporting them. It's really not hard and things look to get worse. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bajadre said:

same here Snfu i had a text from our docs yesterday saying about dont visit the clinic etc ive rang today and ordered my  citropram prescription and they will pop it in the chemist for me to pick up so i can avoid the doctors

I was supposed to have a chat with my gp yesterday. I rang & asked for a phone consultation.  I've got plenty of citalopram & quetiapine in the cupboard 😊.  No point in me getting ill & putting more burden on the already stretched to breaking point NHS. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, spannermonkey said:

Can't see Brexit planning have much to do with it. Not everything is political. People are scared by the lack of factual information, too little has been done to provide this I agree but the government didn't suck out peoples common sense or morals. People needing to self isolate should be supported by their communities but due to the current digital trend I dare bet there are many people who never speak to their neighbours let alone know their names. Our street is about 50% bungalows full of the more mature, not one of them has need to shop if they do not wish too as the rest of us are supporting them. It's really not hard and things look to get worse. 

It's not political. Planning or lack thereof is just bad management. The same Brexit planning will be in place now as the same problems are being faced i.e. broken supply chains, problems sourcing goods. I work for an NHS service supplier and we're seeing potentially similar problems with simialr outcomes. It's not just affecting medicines but even the IT equipment market. 

• Like 1

Officially working from home as of Monday just gone. Remotely connecting onto the server is completely destroying the system, with thousands of others trying to connect. Even our 24hr IT help desk is melting down!

24 minutes ago, 53HRA said:

Officially working from home as of Monday just gone. Remotely connecting onto the server is completely destroying the system, with thousands of others trying to connect. Even our 24hr IT help desk is melting down!

I am quite lucky that our workforce are quite small with about 30 remote workers so the network will be fine, what worries me is a cant go in and do my little visual checks of the system.

Normally when I have planned time off a guy comes in about 3 times a week and I rely on him to do that sort of stuff, but hes too busy with other firms.

So relying on video calls! 

I'm at home now! Our setup works quite well remotely connecting. We just use Teamviewer with our sleeping office computers and then have a mounted cloud as well.

How is stock at shops right now? I guess it's geographical but I can't be bothered to do a 40min round trip to the nearest supermarket for nothing. :( I'll just wait a bit longer and hope stock is more reasonable.

• Like 1