• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Want a stunt truck help

Duo

Hi haven't been on here in a while ,but have  been looking for something a bit silly. Want a rc that can do back flips crazy big air and on demand wheelies....you know the important stuff. Been trolling the Internet and YouTube and sort of rounded it down to a few choices. 

Want help ell does anyone own any of the following. And are they tough and what offers the best bang for my hard earned money. 

Leaning towards Arrama outcast 4s. Or the kraton 4s but not owned one before. 

Other options are from the evil empire that is traxxas because I have batteries and a slash 4x4 from them. The rustler 4x4 vxl  and the quite expensive e revo 2.0. 

Seen pros and cons for both  Arrama remotes are bit kack and traxxas are well you know expensive .

just want a bit of fun not looking for speed runs or track performance.  Any help would be great if people have owned these and advice.

cheers and please don't want this thread to turn into fanboy rant on traxxas vs  Arrama . Let's keep it clean.

My gut says that but all my batteries are traxxas connectors and charger. Could get adaptors from ms for couple of quid.  Have you driven and outcast are they as mental as they look.  Seen you tubers batter them. 

Im Traxxas’ biggest fan, but my  ERevo 2.0 was a  massive disappointment. The Slash 4x4 is too expensive for something that old, and Id like to try a Rustler 4x4, but there does seem better out there in terms of value for money. The Maxx seems great but mega money. Id say try an Arrma, but  Im looking at the Associated Rival MT for sub £250!

Cheers will have a look at that. Same as you like the traxxas as had one for a while but the slash is more of a chucking around on gravel and grass. And know how bad it is at jumping no matter what body your running. 

Just not Driven an  arrama or seen one going in the flesh. Might take a wander to tjd models  near dartford and have a  look at one close up. 

Edited by Duo

For insanity at "reasonable" costs I'd go with the Outcast 4S. Only driven mine a few times - most recently however this weekend, started on 3s for the boy - perfectly happy doing backflips, then 4S later, and I **** you not I landed a 6 rotations backflip - not my usual style but the kids were egging me on!.

As for durability, this newest design is a proper soldier and all in a relatively light weight package.

Yes the radio gear is not perfect, and the steering is not the quickest (but then I'm used to upgraded servos) but still a very good value to giggle ratio!

Would like to try a Kraton 4S next - would possibly suit me better.

What servo are you going to upgrade to and do you need to swap out remote. These are sticking point as heard people saying the car went out of range quite easy or just drove off randomly on its own. Have you experienced this or just older models. Also any breakages or is it as tough as people say. 

Dont want to by a car that needs a ton of upgrades as soon as . Want some fun  not a bottomless pit 

cheers mate 

1 hour ago, Duo said:

What servo are you going to upgrade to and do you need to swap out remote. These are sticking point as heard people saying the car went out of range quite easy or just drove off randomly on its own. Have you experienced this or just older models. Also any breakages or is it as tough as people say. 

Dont want to by a car that needs a ton of upgrades as soon as . Want some fun  not a bottomless pit 

cheers mate 

If I keep the car I may change the servo and put it on one of my other controllers - I generally run the cheapo Power HD 20kg + units on quite a few things. But honestly it works fine - no problems with it wondering. I'd just driven my Tekno MT before running this one so it was bound to feel sluggish re steering.

I've had no breakages at all. The only issue I have had which I also did with my Granite BLX was the shocks leaking oil - that in my opinion is the weakest link. Some folks have had no issue whatsoever and some like me have. You can continue refilling the shocks or some folks have had success with different o - rings etc. As I had family coming back from the states I purchased the HR shock bodies which certainly on that one run recently were bomb proof and I don't doubt they'll stay that way.

To be honest, all trucks have their disadvantages. But I certainly rate these Arrma ones for strength. Infact, if the budget is tight I'd recommend a Granite BLX and some Chinese alloy shocks or similar. that's a great truck on 3s perhaps with a bigger pinion, though I run mine standard and can easily double flip ( only run on smaller skatepark jumps).

Budget  not really a concern just want the best bang for my buck and reliability. Don't mind paying bit more if it's quality I'm getting

cant stand buying something and then forking out another couple of hundred quid just to make it workable. 

Thats  why  I bought a slash  new it was tough and reliable  basher just want something better to jump and pop some wheelies and take a rough landing. 

Thanks for the advice I think it's top of the list at moment  just wanna have a look at it first. Do like the look of the little traxxas rustler as well.  😬😬 too many choices. 

5 minutes ago, Duo said:

Budget  not really a concern just want the best bang for my buck and reliability. Don't mind paying bit more if it's quality I'm getting

cant stand buying something and then forking out another couple of hundred quid just to make it workable. 

Thats  why  I bought a slash  new it was tough and reliable  basher just want something better to jump and pop some wheelies and take a rough landing. 

Thanks for the advice I think it's top of the list at moment  just wanna have a look at it first. Do like the look of the little traxxas rustler as well.  😬😬 too many choices. 

Fully understand mate. The Rustler looks nice - so many Traxxas trucks do but I honestly doubt it will be as resilient as the Arrma 4S range - might have better shocks mind!..

And if you ever venture up Oxford way you're welcome to have a run with mine 👍

I replaced my stock slash 4x4 chassis with one from a stampede to make a truggy and I accidentally made a stunt truck. It's absolutely insane and by far my favourite vehicle. Thing backflips like crazy on 3-4s even with stock slash wheels. Absolutely shreds driveshafts though. 

Might try some bigger wheels if the fastrax driveshafts are any good. 

Could be an option for you?

Cheers mate  love my slash 4x4 will never get rid of it just love flinging it around the park and doing power slides. But my boy has got his mits on it now and gave me an excuse to look for new toy. Have kyosho scorpion xxl but it's 1/7 scale and still haven't done diff upgrade to turn 6s and to be honest it's to good looking in my opinion for a basher. Reminds me of the old 80s style buggies when I was a kid. 

Will have to go to local rc store to check out outcast but it's more aimed at rc planes and they can be a bit snooty. Went in there  for paint while back and could feel them staring a hole into the back of my neck. 😂😂😂😂they don't like strangers round there. 

Edited by Duo
  • Like 1

Made a similar decision recently and I ended up with the new traxxas maxx, and my friend ended up getting an outcast 1/10 4s. Honestly they are both built like a tank and can happily run pack after pack with no drama out of the box. 

The arrma really benefits from a set of rpm arms, alloy pivot balls and alloy shock bodies from hot racing or arrma typhon 6s shocks. 
The maxx seems ever so slightly stronger as it needed no upgrades to actually take a good beating. But still needs the widemaxx kit to really stop it tipping over constantly, that’s another £45-£55 depending where you buy it, and then your next weak point will be the stock drive shafts which cost £110 to upgrade to the traxxas metal cvd’s. 

either way whatever you buy will need some upgrades at some point, the best thing to do is go down to a decent rc shop and see what you like the look of.

Edited by tanveer

Thanks mate the  traxxas Max was on my he shortlist at first but the widemaxx upgrade put me off  they went for looks rather than how the thing drives. Are the typhoon 6s shocks better than other Arrama ones than as all are ment to leak like a babies nappy. Off this week will get down to shop eventually just running through patch off unforeseen bad luck. 

Boys got tonsiliates so all plans for half term are shot ment to have kids driving lesson  and go karting tomorrow all cancelled poor little bugger , sliced my finger quite deep yesterday trip to a&e and our new bed which expecting arrived on time but the van had whole in roof so every bed and frame was water damaged. Now sleeping on floor till Friday. 😭😭😊😊😊

The Rustler 4x4 is just a Slash with longer arms so I think it'd disappoint you if you already own a Slash. The Maxx is starting to impress but is expensive compared to the Outcast. The Outcast's short wheelbase means its much more of a stunt truck than the Kraton so that's where my money would be going! The Spektrum STX2 radio is crap but I just sold mine for £28 which could take the edge off a bit?

Never had to buy new radio gear how much and what type would be good upgrade. Wouldn't want to spend more than  60-70 quid on one.

Knew this was a bit of issue as heard the range and reliability  on outcast radio wasn't great.

whats your kraton like is it more better for the track and popping wheelies than backflips. As never owned. A car that can do backflips and my boy would love that.

Edited by Duo

Unless you’re unlucky the radio will get you going to start with no problem. 

shocks wise, Arrmas 6s units are solid, it’s just the plastic ones that suffer for some folk me included. 

As to the Maxx, I don’t consider this a fair comparison, there’s a £200 difference and you still have to spend money. At that rate and thinking you may as well just build a Tekno MT and be done.... Or buy the 4S Arrma and change shocks and ‘perhaps’ the radio at some time...

It Was the outcast 4s  that was top of my list the leaking shocks and radio put me off little bit but doing some research and someone said the typhon shocks which are metal fit on the 4s outcast and could get fly sky gt5 for bout 50 quid which is not too bad .

liked the 4x4 rustler mainly because I've got four traxxas batteries but it is basically a slash chassis with longer arms which no good as have one already. 

Think 6s will be overkill as long as it back flips and wheelies and lands with out crumbling like a dunked rich tea it will do me. Not looking to break any speed records.

Oh crap looking on YouTube about the outcast 4s and on side bar saw link for the new losi tenacity db pro black fox edition.

looks like a mini dbxl .

oh crap there's just seems to be so many good kits out at the moment and the losi is a real looker. Love the shell end seems to. Be getting rave reviews.  

Getting really sidetracked looking  for stunt truck........... Does anyone else set out to get one truck then seduced by another. It's only £30 quid more ........😭😭😭😭😭too much choice 

1 hour ago, Duo said:

Oh crap looking on YouTube about the outcast 4s and on side bar saw link for the new losi tenacity db pro black fox edition.

looks like a mini dbxl .

oh crap there's just seems to be so many good kits out at the moment and the losi is a real looker. Love the shell end seems to. Be getting rave reviews.  

Getting really sidetracked looking  for stunt truck........... Does anyone else set out to get one truck then seduced by another. It's only £30 quid more ........😭😭😭😭😭too much choice 

Haha... But it won't do stunts!!?? Keep focused man!!

I have the Outcast 4s and love it.  Great fun. 

I ran it a few times stock but decided on upgrading the radio gear/servo:

Absima CR2S V2 £30 and works great

JX Servo from Bangood for £19 and it's much faster than stock. 

Next are the shocks....pretty sure it's the same for all Outcast owners running stock shocks.....pissing out oil.  I have seen people have got them replaced under warranty but I think I'd rather grab a set of the typhon 6s shocks....anyone know where I can get  set?