• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Confused what to buy!

akamini

I have read so much, watched so many videos and reviews and yet I'm more confused than ever what RC to buy... I own a wraith spawn crawler/trail and a vintage mardave meteor 2wd buggy I recently refurbished (and just built a lunchbox for my young son) but I have my eye on something fast and sturdy. I guess I'd use it in the woods among leaves and dirt and on some open loose gravel and grass fields, not expecting to take it to skate parks or BMX tracks - not that interested in massive jumps more just hooning around. I also don't want anything too big so looking at 1/10 scale.

So far I've considered arrma outcast/kraton 4s, Typhon 3s, senton 3s,  losi rock rey, proline mt, axial smt-10...even a rere-kyosho optima...each time I convince myself I've picked the right type of vehicle then get confused whether it's designed for what I'm after!

Anyone able to refine my list to what's best suited for this use?

I hear really good things about the Senton, but the last time I owned a short course I found they like to roll over at any sign of high-speed cornering. Maybe somebody who owns one can chime in since I haven't owned an SC for a couple of years.

Out of the cars you're looking at and the kind of terrain you're looking to run on I'd look towards the Kraton or Typhon. Buggies and truggies are the most bashable types out there and can be tuned to handle well too. Arrma spares are everywhere which helps as well!

I just bought a 6s Kraton, it's not much bigger than the 1/10th scale to be honest, but that's because the 1/10 scale is also big!  It's definitely fit for hooning around, is very tough for the application you want and for the price it seems like a good deal.   Same applies to the 4s I understand.  I don't know any other of the models you mention personally.

I have a Senton and granite.
Granite pulls wheelies everywhere which is a bit annoying.
Senton does tend to roll in corners but that’s because 1 design and two it’s really quick.
I changed to bigger tyres and wheels. Prolines for grip as tyres were poo. Also has 17 mm hex and 10 mm spacers. Now and it’s much better.
Now it’s great fun.
Does fill with crud as wheels are enclosed, everything ends up covered in muck.
We trail bash and jump them all over.
Shocks need upgrading if you jump them as they tend to leak.

Bash, Break, Build, Repeat...

I see what you mean about kraton 6s/4s sizes not being that different, maybe I should go for a 6s vehicle as it's probably the only new RC I'll buy for a long time. I really like the Typhon 6s I just wondered if it will cope with grass and bumpy dirt (as I imagine a monster truck would) or is it going to get bucked around as it's more highly strung for smoother surfaces or racing?

For grass and "offroading", a Typhon is.. suboptimal. Like any buggy, really - there's not much in terms of ground clearance, that's a physical limitation. You're probably better off with a Kraton/Outcast, or maybe Senton. The best bet on bumpy dirt of course are the first two, since they're made for that kinda terrain. 

2 hours ago, nut-nut said:

I just bought a 6s Kraton, it's not much bigger than the 1/10th scale to be honest, but that's because the 1/10 scale is also big!  It's definitely fit for hooning around, is very tough for the application you want and for the price it seems like a good deal.   Same applies to the 4s I understand.  I don't know any other of the models you mention personally.

The normal 1/10 scale like tamiya cars are not that big as a kraton, the arrma 3s line is more to the 1/8 scale, I owned a arrma 3s blx typhon 4x4 that is just as big as a 1/8 scale buggy, I was not impressed with the arrma so I sold it, the same for the losi rock rey I have the kit version but it is more 1/8 scale then 1/10.

The proline mt 4x4 is more to the 1/10 and if you do  not do big jumps, I choose that over the arrma cars,

I know that the arrma comes with esc and servo and motor, but the blx 100 esc is junk I had problems with the lvc hitting to soon and the servo is junk to, the motor mount you need to buy the adjustable or drill the holes out, the shocks leak, and I broke a front and rear arm in only in a low speed roll over, never break a arm on my rc cars before, I ran my tamiya truck at 50 km per hour in to a wooden pole and the only thing that happend was the tire came of because it was not glued.

So is the arrma though  hell no, if you buy it you have to buy a new esc, motor mount, servo, rpm arms, hot racing shock bodies and not forget the crappy spectrum radio.

I regret buying the arrma, and I was choosing between the arrma and the proline.

Edited by No brains

Yeah but aren't parts for that truck really hard to get?

Maybe have a look at the tekno mt410. There's a couple people on here who own them. It's expensive but you're really paying for quality

4 minutes ago, fnknan said:

Yeah but aren't parts for that truck really hard to get?

Maybe have a look at the tekno mt410. There's a couple people on here who own them. It's expensive but you're really paying for quality

Parst for the proline are easy to get on ebay and they sell parts at a lot of webshops

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments so far - I appreciate their are different models/brands around all with pros and cons I'm just trying to get my head around what style of vehicle is the one to get. Sounds like a few types will do what I'm looking for just with their own strengths and weaknesses, maybe I need to see some in real life first.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, akamini said:

Thanks for all the comments so far - I appreciate their are different models/brands around all with pros and cons I'm just trying to get my head around what style of vehicle is the one to get. Sounds like a few types will do what I'm looking for just with their own strengths and weaknesses, maybe I need to see some in real life first.

Yes go look and see what you want yourself 

If you could hold out for a few weeks, Maybe you could be our Rival MT10 guinea pig, At £250 it may possibly be the best bargain for a long time, And if it's anygood, This question may never have to be asked again.

as20516.jpg

• Like 2

Been in a similar situation myself 

from what you want to do and from your choices I’d have to say the senton....or the kraton

tough short course basher that can jump but that isn’t its main 

or a truggy basher that flys 

Edited by MacRaguel

Everyone says buggies aren’t that good off road etc.
I don’t agree.
We have a monster truck, a short course,a desert buggie or two and a buggie.
Yes the buggie’s ground clearance is lower by about 10- 15mm than the others,
but it’s just as capable as the others.
They are all run on 3S and have similar speeds.
They all jump, buggie is best balanced at this and takes a beating.
They all bash through the woods without fault and when on tarmac the buggie makes the others look stupid.
Loose dusty ground it’s brilliant.
Turns and drifts way better than the other two. ( lower centre of gravity. )
It’s clean when you pull the lid off after bashing through muck all day.
It’s lightest of the three so accelerates wuicker. All in all it’s a great car.
It’s my boy’s car and I’m close to buying a buggie as my next car, because of how versatile it is. .
Just saying. 53ec8b13a0ddea5d07101a2d224d4d43.jpg

Bash, Break, Build, Repeat...

• Like 1

My MT, Desert racers, SCT spent more time upside down at corners than I liked( not my driving BTW) my hobao 1/8 buggy is planted and it gets thrown into corners on grass gravel tarmac & comes out wanting more, the only time it flipped was when it hit a deep chequer plate manhole cover side on, even then it ended up in its wheels [emoji106][emoji3][emoji16]

93a40a8d94ed8d2a0a39c5b4f34bb153.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you want to do off road what about a traxxas trx 4? Or stampede vxl 4x4...

I'm a bit of a traxxas fanboy obv but there's a reason many love em.

Of course they have their haters and they come at a premium usually with less metal parts but the parts are all upgradable and easy to get everywhere. Telemetry is easily added and you have tsm.

Yeah but it's not gonna be any good for what OP wants, for the price it's probably the worst thing you can buy for just bashing 😂

Edited by fnknan