• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New ARRMA Teaser....

Fly In My Soup

Solutions are coming, but you really shouldn't NEED it at this level. To put that in context, my X2 gets sent pretty hard and that's broken nothing, not one component, and certainly never bent its chassis! And that's a clone! 

Anyway, here's a vid from RCDude81 with a prototype M2C chassis, spoiler alert; it doesn't bend despite multiple spills. 

You would think someone at Arrma would go to their bosses and say, "these 3rd party companies are making a fortune out of selling billet chassis, maybe we should sell a branded one?"

Obviously it would be best if they just put it on the truck as standard, but the fact they do neither despite the glaring market for it is slightly baffling.

1 hour ago, Paul Busby said:

You would think someone at Arrma would go to their bosses and say, "these 3rd party companies are making a fortune out of selling billet chassis, maybe we should sell a branded one?"

Obviously it would be best if they just put it on the truck as standard, but the fact they do neither despite the glaring market for it is slightly baffling.

Maybe not as much as you think, they would need to source new suppliers for the materials, do R&D to make sure it worked and get new tooling and lines to make them.  

I think arrma like the fact that aftermarket support is good for their rc's it's similar to traxxas, they don't sell a great range of upgrade options for their trucks, they leave it to the aftermarket. 

Maybe not as much as you think, they would need to source new suppliers for the materials, do R&D to make sure it worked and get new tooling and lines to make them.  

I think arrma like the fact that aftermarket support is good for their rc's it's similar to traxxas, they don't sell a great range of upgrade options for their trucks, they leave it to the aftermarket. 
I guess if people buy the trucks anyway then, "they got theirs"

1 hour ago, Paul Busby said:
2 hours ago, Jumper said:

I guess if people buy the trucks anyway then, "they got theirs"

Yes and people do factor in a good range of aftermarket support when buying an rc, so if they went and undercut all the aftermarket guys and put them off it or out of business then less people might buy them in the first place. 

• 1 month later...

Not always in agreement with Vas, but he's right. Arrma hit the nail squarely with the price, but at what cost? The chassis, the brace, the wing mount, all need redesigning, and quickly. 

And only mod 1, that's not really enough, not for the weight of this. 

I wouldn't be buying this anyway. It's too big and I simply dont have the space for it. If I was looking at this scale, the DBXLE would probably get more attention from me than this, as I don't see the appeal of something that's basically a slightly bigger version of something I already have.

What's put me off more is that people seem apprehensive to be honest about the truck. A few other youtubers have had issues with this truck and have kinda brushed passed it like it's not a huge deal. For any normal people who saves up and invests in an RC platform like this, it should be a huge deal to them that it's not fit for purpose out of the box, especially when it's sat next to an XMaxx which is pretty damn good out the box and around the same price. Yes, they're different, but not THAT different. They will be next to each other in peoples shopping basket when they're looking at a big stunt vehicle.

The 1:8 kraton, out of the box, can take a beating. I would say the only thing most people would immediately feel they HAVE to change is the servo and radio, which can be done for ~£50-60 these days.  The thing is that it's such an enjoyable piece of hardware that it makes you WANT to go harder with it and push it to the limits. If all you're doing it is jumping off grass mounds in fields that don't have those magic trees that come out of nowhere, it will take you a good while before anything significant really breaks.

An upgraded chassis for the 1:5 kraton costs over £200.

1 minute ago, Paul Busby said:

I wouldn't be buying this anyway. It's too big and I simply dont have the space for it. If I was looking at this scale, the DBXLE would probably get more attention from me than this, as I don't see the appeal of something that's basically a slightly bigger version of something I already have.

Same here, the race was between the X-Maxx and the DBXL-E, i didn't even consider the Kraton 8s really - it was known and called out by anyone who looked a little bit into the Kraton after it got announced that it wouldn't live up to the expectations. It's overpriced, and under-engineered. 

Youtubers being apprehensive, i mean.. Vas is (or maybe was) an Arrma shill. And it absolutely shows. 3 months after the release of a £1000 RC, he "reveals the story" of his truck that bent even before release. That's good information to have for people looking into a new RC, especially at that price range. Not after most of them already bought the 8s thinking it's a bigger/badder version of the 6s Kraton, doing 6s Kraton things. 

Here's my take on this: a youtuber purposely/knowingly holding back information of a potentially "RC-killing" flaw is worthless. Doesn't matter if you like Arrma (i do, i think the vast majority of their cars are flat out recommendations), if an RC is crap you call it out. If "politics" or "business" prevents you from doing it, you're not doing your job. Especially if you're the guy suspected of leaking the reveal/truck in the first place. 

22 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Same here, the race was between the X-Maxx and the DBXL-E, i didn't even consider the Kraton 8s really - it was known and called out by anyone who looked a little bit into the Kraton after it got announced that it wouldn't live up to the expectations. It's overpriced, and under-engineered. 

Youtubers being apprehensive, i mean.. Vas is (or maybe was) an Arrma shill. And it absolutely shows. 3 months after the release of a £1000 RC, he "reveals the story" of his truck that bent even before release. That's good information to have for people looking into a new RC, especially at that price range. Not after most of them already bought the 8s thinking it's a bigger/badder version of the 6s Kraton, doing 6s Kraton things. 

Here's my take on this: a youtuber purposely/knowingly holding back information of a potentially "RC-killing" flaw is worthless. Doesn't matter if you like Arrma (i do, i think the vast majority of their cars are flat out recommendations), if an RC is crap you call it out. If "politics" or "business" prevents you from doing it, you're not doing your job. Especially if you're the guy suspected of leaking the reveal/truck in the first place. 

At the same time, if his truck had been the only one that bent because it was pre production or faulty and he roasted it he would loose credibility and accused of click bait, so he can't win either way. Also its not like other people wouldn't have noticed it anyway as loads of people had the issue so him holding it back makes no difference.

Pc reviewers often do the same where if they have a pre launch bios with lots of issues, they will go back to the manufacturer and tell them what they were, so they can try to fix it before release. They would look stupid if they said x and y is not working if the production runs come out and everything works fine. Unfortunately in this case he sent his truck all the way back here which took ages, so they didn't get chance to address anything before it came out and they have decided not after the fact either. 

35 minutes ago, Jumper said:

At the same time, if his truck had been the only one that bent because it was pre production or faulty and he roasted it he would loose credibility and accused of click bait, so he can't win either way. Also its not like other people wouldn't have noticed it anyway as loads of people had the issue so him holding it back makes no difference.

Pc reviewers often do the same where if they have a pre launch bios with lots of issues, they will go back to the manufacturer and tell them what they were, so they can try to fix it before release. They would look stupid if they said x and y is not working if the production runs come out and everything works fine. Unfortunately in this case he sent his truck all the way back here which took ages, so they didn't get chance to address anything before it came out and they have decided not after the fact either. 

Sorry, nonsense. Jay Tee RC broke his Maxx on the first run, he called it out, done. If your stuff breaks, it broke. You tell the people that it broke, nobody requires you to judge if it's a inherent flaw or freak accident: if your truck breaks, you show the broken truck and where it broke, people can make their mind up themselves. Not to mention that of course many people broke "the news" of it bending way earlier (and he showed it on camera before, he even mentions it in the video).

A software update is also something else entirely, the software on the Arrma isn't the problem. It's the physical design that is the problem, and if a motherboard buckles because the holes aren't aligned with the standoffs, yeah, it's something that does get called out - the same way youtubers call out too high SATA encasings that prevent high end graphics cards from fitting. 

He had a review example. That's literally what it is. It wasn't pre-production. If i tell you "X and Y" isn't working, and it's fixed in retail, then you don't look stupid but the company simply did its job to fix the issues that were clearly there. That includes the biggest tech-youtuber as well, Linus - i can't count how often he called out flaws of new (and even unreleased) hardware. And clearly Arrma wouldn't recall all their RCs to fix the chassis on all of them.

edit: btw, especially in this case. Arrma didn't fix the chassis bending on the 6s Kraton through four(!) iterations. There's nothing to suggest that they'd fix the 8s bending prior to release. 

Edited by m4inbrain

58 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

youtuber purposely/knowingly holding back information of a potentially "RC-killing" flaw is worthless. Doesn't matter if you like Arrma (i do, i think the vast majority of their cars are flat out recommendations), if an RC is crap you call it out. If "politics" or "business" prevents you from doing it, you're not doing your job.

This happens with every single youtuber that has products given to them for review.... From banggood to traxxas..... 

In a way... They're being used... Granted... Its a mutually beneficial relationship.... But it prevents them from saying anything negative if they want that relationship to continue.... They'd drop them like a stone if they did say anything negative.. 

In essence... Its a... "don't bite the hand that feeds" scenario... That's turns toxic

Its all part of the fake review culture.... I for one... Do not agree with it at all... 

I ended a partnership with rcmart because of this very situation around a year ago... 

In the end... Its always the consumer that loses out

1 minute ago, Fly In My Soup said:

This happens with every single youtuber that has products given to them for review.... From banggood to traxxas..... 

In a way... They're being used... Granted... Its a mutually beneficial relationship.... But it prevents them from saying anything negative if they want that relationship to continue.... They drop them like a stone... 

In essence... Its a... "don't bite the mad that feeds" scenario... That's turns toxic

Its all part of the fake review culture.... I for one... Do not agree with it at all... 

I ended a partnership with rcmart because of this very situation around a year ago... 

Of course. That's what i meant by "business preventing you from doing your job".

That doesn't make it acceptable. If a "review" channel doesn't actually review but just shill, what's the point of it? And more importantly, why shouldn't it be called out every time it happens? 

Good job stopping a "sponsorship" due to integrity, that's how it should be. Hell, Vas isn't even a hobbyist in the first place, he only drives his trucks on camera. 

48 minutes ago, babylon said:

Steve over at Gamers Nexus is about as good as it gets when it comes to a  hardware review site.

Absolutely. And they constantly call out companies for "wrongdoings" like the TIM on Coffee Lakes, forcing "advanced users" to rip the heat spreader off to apply liquid metal, etc. Same with questionable pricing on 9th gen intel CPUs (and flak for removing HT for 9th gen i7 etc). Same with Ryzens not reaching their advertised clockspeeds, the list is long.

That's something that every good reviewer does, because your channel's gonna die if you don't. Who watches a reviewer that doesn't point out the flaws. 

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

Sorry, nonsense. Jay Tee RC broke his Maxx on the first run, he called it out, done. If your stuff breaks, it broke. You tell the people that it broke, nobody requires you to judge if it's a inherent flaw or freak accident: if your truck breaks, you show the broken truck and where it broke, people can make their mind up themselves. Not to mention that of course many people broke "the news" of it bending way earlier (and he showed it on camera before, he even mentions it in the video).

A software update is also something else entirely, the software on the Arrma isn't the problem. It's the physical design that is the problem, and if a motherboard buckles because the holes aren't aligned with the standoffs, yeah, it's something that does get called out - the same way youtubers call out too high SATA encasings that prevent high end graphics cards from fitting. 

He had a review example. That's literally what it is. It wasn't pre-production. If i tell you "X and Y" isn't working, and it's fixed in retail, then you don't look stupid but the company simply did its job to fix the issues that were clearly there. That includes the biggest tech-youtuber as well, Linus - i can't count how often he called out flaws of new (and even unreleased) hardware. And clearly Arrma wouldn't recall all their RCs to fix the chassis on all of them.

edit: btw, especially in this case. Arrma didn't fix the chassis bending on the 6s Kraton through four(!) iterations. There's nothing to suggest that they'd fix the 8s bending prior to release. 

yes exactly, he is scared of people judging if its a flaw in the comments, because most people in the comments are constantly calling him a shill when in reality its not some Illuminati plot where he is being paid millions by arrma to trick the public into buying these cars. He is just a normal bloke who works at a hobby shop who happens to have a youtube channel. he said himself he cant even afford to buy new chassis all the time  :P  

6 hours ago, Fly In My Soup said:

In a way... They're being used... Granted... Its a mutually beneficial relationship.... But it prevents them from saying anything negative if they want that relationship to continue.... They'd drop them like a stone if they did say anything negative.. 

In essence... Its a... "don't bite the hand that feeds" scenario... That's turns toxic

i would say yes to some degree getting things for free does incentivise you not to give things a bad review and point out flaws, but at the same time i would say you can easily tell the people who gloss over it and those who dont. there are lots of channels that will always say everything is great, but the ones that point out flaws and do a fully dedicated video on the flaws probably arent.  Also people who watch multiple reviews can also see where people bias lie. 

1 minute ago, Jumper said:

yes exactly, he is scared of people judging if its a flaw in the comments, because most people in the comments are constantly calling him a shill when in reality its not some Illuminati plot where he is being paid millions by arrma to trick the public into buying these cars. He is just a normal bloke who works at a hobby shop who happens to have a youtube channel. he said himself he cant even afford to buy new chassis all the time  :P  

I don't think you understand what "a shill" is, and what companies do. He got a review sample. That's his pay. If he slags it, he won't get another review sample. It's that simple, and it's also the reason why he went on a tangent after people started wondering if it was him who leaked the Kraton 8s picture. It's free stuff. And especially if you "can't afford that thing" by yourself, that's all the incentive you need to shill. 

And, i'm sorry, if you can't handle a few mean people in the youtube comment section, i mean.. He's a grown arse man. 

As mentioned: every Kraton version that ever existed bent. His bent. He actively tried to hide it (and he mentions it in that video too). Rich Duperbash, RCDUDE81 amongst others bent theirs on the first run too - why didn't they try to hide it? Hell, RCDUDE81s bending video came out what, one day after release? The reason why they didn't hide it was simply because they expected it to bend, like the majority of people here too. It's a Kraton. It's what Kratons do, and always have done. To assume it's a coincidence that the latest and heaviest version also bends is just an excuse. 

He's doing this video now because now the cat is long out of the bag and he doesn't need to fear repercussions like a review embargo. Not because "he's such an honest dude". 

• Like 1

Must admit, Did have a blankish look on my face when he said he took the GPS from under the body so it didn't show the bent chassis brace.

It is kind of a shame, Because I do like the way he dose he's reviews, The bashing is within the scope of what your average basher may do, The course and bashing routine is consistent , But I have always had an underling,  'I don't know,Not to sure about this bloke'  feeling.

Edited by babylon
  • Like 1

Another nail in the ARRMA Vs Vas coffin I can’t help but think after the leaked pics and now this he has been given his marching orders ? Either that or he wants them 😂

You got to give him credit for the honest thoughts just a shame he never did it on other trucks he was given ! Which makes you think why he did on this 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1