• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

AJ’s TLR 5ive-B 12s Brushless

.AJ.

Just now, Scoobyslayer said:

nice work aj. man I wish I hadn't seen this post. I have been toying with converting my 5ive b to brushless as I already have the lipos I can use from my hpi Baja flux.

the only thing stopping me is if I still want to race with it,  I can see a set of lipos lasting 22-25mins lol

if you do buy the tlr conversion kit I might be interested in the parts you do not use. keep me posted if that's the way you end up going.

cant wait to see your running videos. do you have a youtube channel?

We timed a 5ive t using various combinations and brands of batteries around the local track. I think the longest time we managed was 6 minutes on 8S! 

@Scoobyslayer, I ordered up the TLR Brushless kit lastnight from Power Hobby and I’ve just sold the stock tray and servo mount so no going back really, I’ll let you know when it arrives and I can sell the leftovers, I’ve got a YouTube channel it’s nothing special, but I will post the first runs on it and post them on this thread ? 

• Like 1

I don't think you'll see much more from 12S, not at race pace, laws of physics will dictate how much energy is needed to shift a given mass. 

And "you canna change the laws of physics, Jim!"

?

Well just to let you know that ZTW ESC will not work on 12s or 10s without doing this...

It could work, but as soon you trigger the the throotle hard...that will happen!

That ESC that smoked on me was rated for 6s...but in real world could only work on 4s. It was a 220a esc... and i had 2 brand new that did the same.

I read and see on youtube that doing 12s or 10s on that ZTW ESC will lead to that. 8s is fine and safe!

Don't believe me? Maybe this UK based online shop will explain it better to you!

https://www.rcmodelz.co.uk/rc-cars/electric-rc-cars/fid-dragon-hammer-voltz-artr-1-5th-scale-4wd.html

FID Dragon Hammer VoltZ - ARTR - 1/5th Scale 4WD

Disclaimer,

Please ensure you NEVER run more than 8s lipo Batteries in this truck, The ESC is rated to no more than 8s, and using Higher powered Lipos will VOID any manufacturers support, This ESC has been tested on 12s lipos, with unsucsessful results every time.

If insist using 10s and 12s, MAKE sure you have a camera to record the blast! PLEASE! And post the video and spread the WORD! :)

I have more ZTW esc's rated for 4s and use only 4s on them. But having a 6s rated ESC and doing that on video... is well why ZTW 12esc is also doing the same thing to others...it will perfect safe on 8s! ZTW is a scam company that have no warranty even if sold in EUROPE, with all our laws about consumer rights. Non existing... i even send the dead esc's to China, and after 3 years didn't got any anwers...only from the shop owner from France...that was kind to solve the issue but could do nothing cause was trapped to!

Edited by targetingxmod

Thanks for the input, their are plenty of 5ive B owners who run these on 12s with no issues, the Dragon hammer weighs 10kg more than this so that what they were failing, I’ve already powered up the esc on 12s and it seems happy enough and no smoke 

Maybe a revised version...came up! Don't know about that, but read something somewhere a few months ago!

Pluging the 12s-10s lipos...should work, but as soon you put it on ground... well...  keep your camera ready when runing it...

You have been warned!

This video from ZTW show well the extreme engineering they have !!

-A 360p video on youtube FULL of zipties around in 2018, for such a sofisticated ESC!

Don't need to be a rocket scientist these days to do the math....thinking what is inside that ESC, even if it looks sexy on the outside!!! lol

As for your buggy it looks dam good! Real clean brushless! Good job!

Edited by targetingxmod

You smoked a completely different esc, the failures in the dragon hammmer were because they only rate the esc to 15kg on 12s, thanks for the “warning” I’m sure whatever happens I’ll survive , this ain’t my first rodeo or first time at 1/5 Brushless ? 

Dont worry about the smokey ESC issue, Its not a problem when using the ztw esc in the 5ive b, Two friends both local to me are running the exact same combo as @.AJ. from Germany and they have both been running 10s and 12s for the past 6 months or so. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, tanveer said:

Dont worry about the smokey ESC issue, Its not a problem when using the ztw esc in the 5ive b, Two friends both local to me are running the exact same combo as @.AJ. from Germany and they have both been running 10s and 12s for the past 6 months or so. 

Any vids that you know of? AJ's taking his sweet time and we're kinda hungry for footage! 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Tug said:

Any vids that you know of? AJ's taking his sweet time and we're kinda hungry for footage! 

No vids that i know of bud, they absolutely walk all over my 29cc zen 5ive b though. 

• Thanks 2