• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Advice regarding account.

Oh How Original

I just received a new kind of spam message, it's somehow from my own E-Mail address (double checked it actually is from my account somehow?)

Someone demanding Bitcoin, whatever that is?

Apparently threatening to send some kind of **** video to all my contacts if I don't pay $751, kinda random.

Anyway, I wondered can anyone technically minded tell me is it possible for someone to merely use some kind of program to send me an E-Mail that looks like it's from myself, or does this seem genuine?

I'm not going to send any money either way, but I was just curious about this as I haven't had this one before, like from 'myself'?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Had a couple too, first one about a month ago. Nothing happened!

I always know it's a scam when they start with a generic "hi" - considering my name and surname are in my email address!

Edited by James1986
  • Thanks 1

Yes, this one started with just 'hello!' they also said they'd started my webcam and microphone without me knowing and recorded me, which is amazing considering I don't own a webcam or microphone.

Thanks chaps, I don't usually worry about this kinda thing but it's a new one on me so wanted to just double check.

• Thanks 1

Had this a few times, the scam uses your email address as a domain name to prevent you blocking it sending further messages. Just delete it and carry on, very pathetic attempt but there will be a few people get caught out as always.

• Thanks 1

Very common at the moment (I get calls daily from worried clients)

I had loads in the last couple months with a throwaway passwords from years ago I used on a selection of know hacked services (Yahoo Groups)

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/07/13/hacker_extortion_scam/

new version of the email being bomb threats.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/12/15/bomb_threat_scammers/

12 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

Apparently threatening to send some kind of **** video to all my contacts if I don't pay $751,

You should've instantly replied...."please share with as many friends as possible.... I like to promote beastiality at all available opportunities...."

Then follow it up with hundreds of spam emails asking him " if he's uploaded it yet....as you have a stolen nativity donkey out the back yard raring to make the sequel and you want the vid to get maximum online exposure..."

P.s I'm feeling left out for not getting one???

?

I had that one too dan saying they will release cam footage I don't own a web cam told him to carry on lol

try your email on this site

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

I bet its on there I was on a gaming forum that had there datatbank exposed I knew the sender of my email got it of there probally  bought bulk load of them as it contained my one off password I used on there lol

Edited by Bajadre