• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Recommend me a Nitro basher buggy?

13 hours ago, Pingman said:

Have been out of the hobby for a while and fancy a nitro buggy for bashing, what do people recommend? 

The normal response you get from people for a Q like this is the good old Hyper7.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobao-hyper-7-tq2-rtr-buggy-with-mac-28-turbo-engine-2-4ghz-radio-blue/rc-car-products/403864

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobao-hyper-7-tq2-rtr-buggy-with-hyper-21-turbo-engine-2-4ghz-radio-black/rc-car-products/403868

Edited by dazp1976
  • Like 1

Hong nor is harder to maintain though with lack of spares mayb its good for the x3 sabre and it really is a stunning buggy and most probably as strong as a hyper 7. But hong nors rep for lack of parts even on newer ish models. Malaysia was my goto place i think. Nowhere else had stuff for that buggy. X1 pro buggy. 

But hyper 7 you can probably throw a stone further than a sleeping hyper 7 lives from you. But they are boring to look at just bland no matter what. But looks as good as any thrashing around. Or is it limited on bodies. I like the bulldog cab forward buggy look. .

For me it would come down to whichever has the most reliable engine with most users to ask for help lol. 

If it doesn't have to be a buggy then have a look at the HPI Firestorm. It's cheap, easy to maintain and tune and spares are available pretty much everywhere :good: 

12 hours ago, 300bhp/ton said:

New. Used. Price range?

Guess I should have been more specific!

Preferably new and not expensive, but do want goo:

Must be:

• fun easy to run
  • Reliable
  • If it does break; cheap parts
  • easy to get parts

Shortlist so far:

USED GS Racing Storm ~£100

New Nanda Racing NRB-5 £224.99

New Hobao Hyper 7 £269

NEW Kyosho MP9 TK13 £399!

MP9 is probably too much in all honesty.

2nd hand GS Storm or a new Nanda Racing NRB-5 are tempting me (they're cheapest!)

But I know little of either :mellow:

Guessing the Hyper 7 might be the best bet for a known quantity? 

12 hours ago, dazp1976 said:

Does look like a pretty safe bet. They're very strong and reliable right?

12 hours ago, Praet0r87 said:

If it were my money, I'd choose the Hong Nor X3 Sabre N RTR.

Because I've heard good things about them, I think they look stunning and I used to drool over one at Tay Models, even though i don't do nitro!

http://www.hongnor-racing.com/pdt_view_cars.asp?sn=1102

I know nothing of them :/

7 hours ago, RCbutcher said:

Hong nor is harder to maintain though with lack of spares mayb its good for the x3 sabre and it really is a stunning buggy and most probably as strong as a hyper 7. But hong nors rep for lack of parts even on newer ish models. Malaysia was my goto place i think. Nowhere else had stuff for that buggy. X1 pro buggy. 

But hyper 7 you can probably throw a stone further than a sleeping hyper 7 lives from you. But they are boring to look at just bland no matter what. But looks as good as any thrashing around. Or is it limited on bodies. I like the bulldog cab forward buggy look. .

For me it would come down to whichever has the most reliable engine with most users to ask for help lol. 

Exactly this I guess. Need strong reliable buggy with easy to get parts and help.

6 hours ago, James1986 said:

If it doesn't have to be a buggy then have a look at the HPI Firestorm. It's cheap, easy to maintain and tune and spares are available pretty much everywhere :good: 

Think I'm really after a buggy, never had one before :)

Edited by Pingman

I have a hyper tq sport with savox servos only ever had 1 tank through it on the bench and never 

been driven it has the Mach 21 engine I'm thinking of selling if the price is right

pm me if interested

Edited by Wraithstorm67

On 12/03/2018 at 17:18, brit_bulldog said:

if the MP9 is out of price range then these are strong as tanks.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/kyosho-inferno-neo-2-0-readyset-t3-ke21-engine-red/rc-car-products/405247

Ive got one of these and the hyper 7 as above. Hyper 7 slightly faster but the kyosho has just as good as spares back up plus loads of higher end option parts from the kit spec. The kyosho looks better runs and starts better especially if your new to nitro. And the COPS pull starter they seem to be putting on hobao products it’s just utter garbage. I’ve hardly ran my hyper 7 as I took a gamble on the kyosho and was glad I did. If you want a hyper 7 as the masses always recommend these then I will do you a deal on mine. But if buying new I’d recommend the kyosho. 

All of if the above is opinion not fact. As long as you enjoy what your using is all that matters. 

On 17/03/2018 at 22:53, Cavematt said:

Ive got one of these and the hyper 7 as above. Hyper 7 slightly faster but the kyosho has just as good as spares back up plus loads of higher end option parts from the kit spec. The kyosho looks better runs and starts better especially if your new to nitro. And the COPS pull starter they seem to be putting on hobao products it’s just utter garbage. I’ve hardly ran my hyper 7 as I took a gamble on the kyosho and was glad I did. If you want a hyper 7 as the masses always recommend these then I will do you a deal on mine. But if buying new I’d recommend the kyosho. 

All of if the above is opinion not fact. As long as you enjoy what your using is all that matters. 

ahh that's interesting, surprised to hear you say this, thought the Hyper 7 were meant to be totally noob friendly! 

I think I want new as never treated myself to a new Nitro before.

The look of the Kyosho puts me off :(

7 hours ago, Pingman said:

ahh that's interesting, surprised to hear you say this, thought the Hyper 7 were meant to be totally noob friendly! 

I think I want new as never treated myself to a new Nitro before.

The look of the Kyosho puts me off :(

The wheels are the only bad thing on the kyosho. And that’s cosmetic. If you go hyper they are still a great buggy. Just a point to make these are probably the tightest rtr engine I’ve come across with crazy pinch be sure to pre heat. Have fun. 

On 24/03/2018 at 02:25, Pingman said:

From friends that have had them they aren’t a bad first buggy but are week from what I’ve seen and things tend to break easy on them.

Like I’ve said earlier I’ve not had any trouble bashing my kyosho inferno as well as using at a track for fun not racing though. The hyper vs .30 is only £10 more than the 7 is better equipped than the hyper 7 and is a animal with power. I’d give one of these a try when my kyosho gives up.

This is a good buy, I know you said new and Buggy,  But like all nitro cars, By the end of the first day of using it , It will look as if you've had it for months, And if your bashing, You really want a truggy, They are just such a good all rounder, Also Hong Nor parts are easy to get, But it wont matter because they are pretty much indestructible , And SH engines are great.

• 4 weeks later...