• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Got my Carisma SCA-1E

peter2117

Planning to give my old Lynx a bit of a refit, a while back i tried it on 2s lipo and found it to fast, i could drop the pinion down to a 14T but as i want to replace the motor would i be better leaving gearing stock and just put a 45T or even 55T motor in, also think its time to get a bearing kit for it

• Like 1

Drive it and see how it feels, you may like it as it is, they are very good and capable out the box. As you get more into driving it see which areas can be improved and so on then work from that. Decent tyres are a good start, you’ll need wheels too as the standard coyotes wheels are odd sized. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Andrew Burnie said:

Drive it and see how it feels, you may like it as it is, they are very good and capable out the box. As you get more into driving it see which areas can be improved and so on then work from that. Decent tyres are a good start, you’ll need wheels too as the standard coyotes wheels are odd sized. 

I've got the kit which apparently comes with 'normal' sized wheels.

I'd read a few comments about a simple mod to improve the steering,  any comments regarding that?

But yes good advice, build it, drive it, go from there.

Ahh yeah the kit does have standard wheels 👍 

steering wise only mods I’ve done is alloy knuckles, alloy steering links and on the axles there’s a little plastic triangle stopper, I’ve cut that back abit aswell 👍

43 minutes ago, Andrew Burnie said:

Ahh yeah the kit does have standard wheels 👍 

steering wise only mods I’ve done is alloy knuckles, alloy steering links and on the axles there’s a little plastic triangle stopper, I’ve cut that back abit aswell 👍

That was only hearsay so thanks for confirming!  Strange why Carisma fitted non-standard to the RTR's (except the RR I believe).

Yes it was the plastic triangle stopper thing I'd read about, guess it will be obvious when I build it.  I'll see what I think of the plastic links etc before making my mind up if the upgrade is worth it.  I don't mind if a mod improves something, otherwise I normally just upgrade if/when something breaks.

Cheers!

Edited by mark-essex

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

thinking of asking Santa for the carisma sca-1e kit for Xmas but noticed modelsport out of stock. (Not really looked elsewhere yet as Xmas a way off).

Noticed this, at only a few quid more.....

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=440250

Anyone had any experience of a Hobbytech crx-v2??

I really know NOTHING about scalers or crawlers so no idea if these things even comparable but at first glance the CRX looks to be better spec. Am I right? 

Fancy the the idea of trail running and crawling. Also fancy the idea of building from a kit rather than RTR but really in the dark about which way to jump in.

advise me please folks 😀👍

thanks

Fred

Edited by Fat Freddy

No personal experience with the hobby tech but going of other models and a thread I seen on here comparing both the carisma and the crx he ended up selling the crx and keeping the carisma, the carisma has better geometry and ground clearance due to axles and drive shafts etc, abit better quality too although they do share some parts. 

2 hours ago, Andrew Burnie said:

No personal experience with the hobby tech but going of other models and a thread I seen on here comparing both the carisma and the crx he ended up selling the crx and keeping the carisma, the carisma has better geometry and ground clearance due to axles and drive shafts etc, abit better quality too although they do share some parts. 

Thanks. 👍

• 5 months later...
40 minutes ago, Bigjimknickers said:

Quick question on these.

do the kits come with extra goodies over the RTR?

Yes the kit has the forward battery tray, pretty sure it has bearings rather than bushes, and you get to paint your own colour rather than matt black, but the rtr is still very capable rig

• Thanks 1

It's still bushes for the kit, but if you going to shell out for bearings, easier to fit when assembling than having to disassemble it all first.

And I believe the kit has better wheels/tyres than the RTR.

I got the kit for Christmas.

I couldn't tell you if it's a good choice.....First crawler so nothing to compare it to but am loving it. Surprised how capable it is. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Fat Freddy said:

It's still bushes for the kit, but if you going to shell out for bearings, easier to fit when assembling than having to disassemble it all first.

And I believe the kit has better wheels/tyres than the RTR.

I got the kit for Christmas.

I couldn't tell you if it's a good choice.....First crawler so nothing to compare it to but am loving it. Surprised how capable it is. 

i've got the rtr version, the tyres which come with it are proper up for the job, they are super grippy the car has crawled over everything  I've thrown at it, even the steepest climb

On 04/10/2019 at 13:18, .AJ. said:

What oil are people running in their alloy shocks? I can’t see any recommendations in the manual 

96000544-DA58-4297-B5-D9-C0504-EB6-DFA2.

Have you built it? I love mines, the only thing is the shocks come with oiled filled but they feel bit stiff but great crawler, it can literally crawl over anything, the stock tyres are super super grippy on mines