• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas trx4 owners thread.

Gaz!

Thanks 🙂 I did see the fuel filler but i was too worried to cut it out as knowing my luck i would end up making it squint or the hole too big or both 😂 i did also see them alloy rock sliders and thought they nice bits but wasnt sure if the bodyshell locked into them like the oe ones, so what colour you going for? Here is a couple for inspiration.

That certainly is a serious winch! I will just stick to the traxxas 1 that came with the kit, only needs plugged into power and it can deadlift 10lbs so its plenty enough but that being said there is some real nice ones out there, i do like the Warn styled ones especially.

There is a lot of farm tracks all around my house so there is an abundance of places to go, today i was out for over 3 hours, would have been out longer my wife was due home from work and i had dinner to cook

C6BC6EDE-54C2-45E6-875A-5D556F986233.jpeg

74ABEF3E-912F-4547-895F-71C52921BE19.jpeg

• Like 2

I was exactly the same when I thought about doing the fuel filler but took it nice and slowly and used a very small hand drill drilled the outline with small holes and then filled to fit the sliders work the same as stock ones didn’t think of that when I ordered the so turned out perfect 😆 as for the colour I’m doing it tamiya ps-18 backed with black should work out how I’m hoping it will 🙏

• Like 1

Metallic purple, that looks a nice colour now! Will painting the black give it a slight pearl effect, i did a shell on my savage xl not too long ago and it backed with black and it came out a metallic purple pearl effect, its not the best paint job as i think the air was starting to get damp as i was painting it, but it does the job.

i bought a ground anchor to winch out of stuck spots and i lost it out 1 day whilst out, so i seen ones on ebay that were well cheap, i got 2 for less than the cost of the 1 i lost, there was def a reason………. I did this today 🫣

edit- just looking at the pics of the xl they were taken in my old house, (that was too small, we grew out of it) them pics must be at least a year old now, shell stills looks like that though as i have another shell

9A6DAA9C-1D3F-4BC6-AACF-4F9F3EC871FE.jpeg

3377172B-874E-447B-91CD-B09EA31E818C.jpeg

8E8870FF-23AC-48AB-BB0F-0F32E3E21CF6.jpeg

Edited by wolfie1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wolfie1 said:

Metallic purple, that looks a nice colour now! Will painting the black give it a slight pearl effect, i did a shell on my savage xl not too long ago and it backed with black and it came out a metallic purple pearl effect, its not the best paint job as i think the air was starting to get damp as i was painting it, but it does the job.

i bought a ground anchor to winch out of stuck spots and i lost it out 1 day whilst out, so i seen ones on ebay that were well cheap, i got 2 for less than the cost of the 1 i lost, there was def a reason………. I did this today 🫣

edit- just looking at the pics of the xl they were taken in my old house, (that was too small, we grew out of it) them pics must be at least a year old now, shell stills looks like that though as i have another shell

9A6DAA9C-1D3F-4BC6-AACF-4F9F3EC871FE.jpeg

3377172B-874E-447B-91CD-B09EA31E818C.jpeg

8E8870FF-23AC-48AB-BB0F-0F32E3E21CF6.jpeg

Well I’m not sure if it’s how I wanted it not going to remove the over spray film until tomorrow to find out going to let the paint dry overnight I was hoping it would be a bit darker but it looks very similar to your XL is it the light or is there a hint of green?

Edited by RC4WD fan

53 minutes ago, RC4WD fan said:

Well I’m not sure if it’s how I wanted it not going to remove the over spray film until tomorrow to find out going to let the paint dry overnight I was hoping it would be a bit darker but it looks very similar to your XL is it the light or is there a hint of green?

Yes there is it has turned out a pearl effect, so when it drives past its quite a cool effect, sometimes its purple other times green and sometimes its like that

• Like 1

Well didn’t quite come out how I envisioned it but not as bad as  I also had it in my head got the fun of putting on the stickers and body accessories 🤣 0670326A-DA83-420F-B8CA-E6247B89FFFB.thumb.jpeg.98d3febce0e1300412e00b47bc08f62f.jpeg

• Like 1

Finished the body really like it now apart from the wheels thought the deep dish would look good but no stick out to much have found some nice SSD’s but I need to take the axial’s and gear box off as have the locking diff and 2 speed kit to install 👍F7F1A8A2-4090-4694-B00D-01BCEA83303C.thumb.jpeg.793b50636f32e8093cadac81332e5419.jpeg56581D94-7C11-48AC-B5AF-0EF3DAE0A173.thumb.jpeg.259ad5999170d44d3c813b86aa8ca85d.jpeg6B09686A-7B00-4B2E-A01E-99470548C65F.thumb.jpeg.a9c311ea5c0c48014ec8a72a61ca5147.jpeg and the mandatory flex shoot 🤣89349EA0-16F5-434A-B166-CB4940C08715.thumb.jpeg.ddd9fe565a7dad52363712a8f806bb00.jpeg

• Like 3

That paint job looks awesome, the wheels are smart too i actually quite like the, sticky outy a bit like that, i am sorry but i do have 1 criticism………….. the top door hinges are in the wrong place and on the front doors the top hinges are also part of the wing mirror assembly, sorry for pointing this out but still looks good nonetheless 🙂

16 minutes ago, wolfie1 said:

That paint job looks awesome, the wheels are smart too i actually quite like the, sticky outy a bit like that, i am sorry but i do have 1 criticism………….. the top door hinges are in the wrong place and on the front doors the top hinges are also part of the wing mirror assembly, sorry for pointing this out but still looks good nonetheless 🙂

Didn’t really think about it to be honest 🤣 only stuck on so easy to remove  and replace 

Edited by RC4WD fan
  • Like 1

These are the wheels I’m looking at to replace the deep dish ones https://rcbitz.com/wheels-tyres/wheels-on-off-road/off-road/2-2-wheels/ssd-1-9-steel-8-hole-beadlock-wheels-silver-ssd00266-traxxas-trx-4-trx4-scx10ii/ don’t know to go for black or silver 🤔

How about doing what they did or do you think it will be too much? There is an anniversary defender out just now that can be ordered thats a green colour and the wheels are the same colour

• Like 1

Looking good mate and i like the wheels on it :good:

If they arnt fouling anything i would keep them on it but the other wheels your looking at are good to lol 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wolfie1 said:

How about doing what they did or do you think it will be too much? There is an anniversary defender out just now that can be ordered thats a green colour and the wheels are the same colour

purple wheels would be a bit much I think

other than black I think silver or possibly bronze would would be ok pretty limited with purple 

11 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

Looking good mate and i like the wheels on it :good:

If they arnt fouling anything i would keep them on it but the other wheels your looking at are good to lol 

I like them as well very little in the way of rubbing just stick out a little to much for me have another set of wheels to try so see if I like them 👍

• Like 1

Changed the wheels much happier with the look now and replace the door hinges EC362658-FA8B-4E41-8406-1D085E6F162A.thumb.jpeg.e1b10226b45b8fabd1d0ac3e92305f7b.jpeg also moved the motor from holes C to D on the motor mount big difference for me much smoother and quieter than before worth doing IMO also found out I need a new RX/TX 🤦‍♂️

• Like 3