• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New Speeding Fines Coming To A Letterbox Near You Soon

Smoothybb

Everyone aware they're putting up the fines for speeding? I read an article on the beeb in Jan about the "most serious" but they're also increasing the lower bands as well by the look of it:

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/18773/speeding-fines-to-rise-in-april-2017-what-it-could-mean-for-you

Now your fine can conveniently be linked to your weekly income (Sweden style is it?). So doing up to 40 in a 30 used to be 100 queen's faces, now it starts at 50% of your weekly income and could be as much 75%. 

As I'm currently not working, I did think about hooning it about at high speed but then read some more and they're keeping the old 100 smackers as the minimum. Sneaky blighters.

• Like 1

Its hard tho when everyone else pushes you forward faster and faster. My lessons sometimes ill have half a dozen cars behind me. Doing the limit. I keep at the limit and they keep trying to overtake sitting on my back bumper. Making me nervous i think i did 80 at one point last time. Saw 80 and crapped it. A38 i think. 

Still 50% of your income is bad money grabbing tactics. I wouldn't be suprised if they didnt put the points value up too. Since they want the money why ban the ones who pay. 

1 hour ago, RCbutcher said:

Its hard tho when everyone else pushes you forward faster and faster. My lessons sometimes ill have half a dozen cars behind me. Doing the limit. I keep at the limit and they keep trying to overtake sitting on my back bumper. Making me nervous i think i did 80 at one point last time. Saw 80 and crapped it. A38 i think. 

Still 50% of your income is bad money grabbing tactics. I wouldn't be suprised if they didnt put the points value up too. Since they want the money why ban the ones who pay. 

80mph on a driving lesson?

Who is your instructor? :mellow:

FYI; do what YOU need to do, not what others want you to do.

If they want to overtake, then they will.

Don't be forced into going faster than you are comfortable with and faster than the speed limit.

Any instructor should be telling you this as well.

• Like 2

Purely for info purposes people, I don't condone speeding, certainly in a 40 zone or less - there's (normally) a good reason for the limit!

I can't actually argue with the theory behind this, if you wish to drive over the posted limit you know the penalty, now it will hurt the rich one's nearly as much as the poor un's.

Speed doesn't kill, inappropriate speed for the prevailing conditions is what does the damage!

Some years back, clocked up 12 points in 8 months, 9 of which were speeding.....(managed 6 on an Easter weekend, 3 Good Friday, 3 Easter Monday)

Magistrates court, licence surrendered for six months plus a fine.

Having a car parked in the garage that you can't use because of your own stupidity is one of the saddest moments in life and taught me a valuable lesson.

I got nicked for doing 40 mph in a 40 limit near Bristol. Apparently the 40 mph signs were covered due to the roadworks  :/ . Some twonk must have pulled the Hessian sack off for a laugh. There weren't any 30 mph signs either. Should have contested it. But we had a lot of crap going on in the family , so I didn't bother.  

1 hour ago, .AJ. said:

I've only ever had 3 points in 18 years of driving :D

I've had 6 in 24 years. Fortunatley, they were in the 90's.

3 and a half years ago I got caught speeding, again! 36 in a 30. I was given the chance to attend a speed awareness course at the cost of £90 and sit in a class room for 4.5 hours. No way could I turn that offer down, £90? bargain I thought, anything to keep those points of my clean license.

Having attended the course, it was an eye opener. I won't go into detail but anyone who's been on one will know. Getting a fine and points on your license for speeding is the very least of your worries.

I think the percentage of your wages may not deter everyone. I mean, I was happy to pay that £90 just to keep them points off my license. Hell, I'd of paid £200 to keep them off. Why? insurance companys hate speeders, in the 90's it wasn't a problem, 3 points, 6 points? ah who cares. It seems insurance companys are rubbing their hands with speeders and today it IS a big issue.

My thinking is scare the **** out of the motorists. Hit them with points where it's ganna hurt. That one off fine is done and dusted when it's paid, it's gone and forgotten.  Points you've got to carry around with you for years :)