• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My new Losi DBXL

dye29

hi guys i have just received my new losi dbxl i saw this on net other day when board and purchased one so i have no idea if these are any good . i still have my baja 5b and after just looking and comparing i think the losi is better built and quality what do you guys think to the losi any good .

hi mate, i have just read a thread somewhere few days ago and people are saying  that the dbxl needed quite abit of upgrades out of the box to make it a decent rig. i will try find the thread now....

Hhmm....i got  a 5b ss an dbxl..:good:.got over 30ltrs on the baj but it's far from stock so can  and has taken sum abuse for sure. ..:yes:..my db only has 9 tanks through it now....it has  few ally bits..mainly braces..top steering  plate. ..lower engine mount....and a 29cc rather then the 23cc engine. ....so it's  still  early days yet on the db as to weather  its tuff enuff. .....buti know i have beat the baj way harder then the db.....i did 4 tanks  in the db on Tuesday and it came  home  still working 20161227_124315_zpsd6etnyzl.jpgmuddy.....but working 20161227_134706_zpsiosbiffo.jpg..my baj stripped  the cheapo spur in 7 mins though :doh:20161228_154427_zpshfreajnh.jpg 20161227_133846_zpsrsablkmu.jpg

Edited by evssv
  • Like 1

thanks guys for info i supose i need to just try her and see how she works for me , to be honest i still love my 5b but from the start i was spending money just to keep it running everything went on this ive spent £100z on it and it still looks crap. i dont mind spending money on these to upgrade to faster but not when the parts fail straight out of box . 

hiya mate :)

Problem is, too many people compare the dbxl to the 5ive. The 5ive IS a better built model out of the box & the price reflects this, (about £300-£350 difference)

If you were to spend the amount saved on buying the dbxl instead of the 5ive on hop ups for the dbxl, you will have a very reliable & durable 4wd truck.

Some hop ups from the get go i would suggest if you bash quite hard is:

Alloy chassis braces (front & rear)

FLM CVD kit

Alloy Clutch Carrier

Alloy Center shaft bracket

Alloy engine mount

Then just replace as you break with hop ups

Set you back less than £100 ;)

Edited by rctruckz
  • Like 1

I loved my dibby I still miss her if I'm honest.

I did put quite a bit of cash into it tho but that's the same with any fifth scale.

Defo get the aluminium engine brace straight on and get some spare pins for the driveshafts or do what I did and put a bolt through it.

And a remote killswitch :good:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, russruss123 said:

I loved my dibby I still miss her if I'm honest.

I did put quite a bit of cash into it tho but that's the same with any fifth scale.

Defo get the aluminium engine brace straight on and get some spare pins for the driveshafts or do what I did and put a bolt through it.

And a remote killswitch :good:

yeah mines eating the rear cen shaft pins....but not the drive sides.....bolt?do u have pics of this dude??

Edited by evssv

Hope you get some real fun out of it!!

i love mine, was my first largescale. then had doubts and recently bought 5ive after giving in to all the good feedback from others here, the 5ive is a great truck, but doesnt give me anywhere near as much pleasure to drive as the DBXL.

I would defo recommend swapping out the diff oils asap, i went for 100k in centre 60k in front and 30k in rear, it handles like a totallly different car, so damn pleasurable to drive.

Have Losi worked on the driveshafts on latest batches of DBXLs? Not had any issues with pins after a fair few hours of hard love ;) and lots of other bits failing but not shaft related. maybe just luck.

I did however have to replace the steering servos on both DBs after circa an hours use, both stripped the nylon internals. savox 0240s have been excellent since.

Final upgrade ive really liked is the 29cc ESP head kit, feels like a lovely balance of power with my samba pipe not too savage but plenty?

4 hours ago, mond said:

The pins in mine would fly out and damage the ackerman and chassis so I replaced with the Team Hoonage shafts which use the 5ive coupler. 

any pics /links dude?mine been out before as I can see the rub marks....not with me but last owner.....so far so good...but like the ideal of the coupler

2 hours ago, evssv said:

any pics /links dude?mine been out before as I can see the rub marks....not with me but last owner.....so far so good...but like the ideal of the coupler

You can see the damage on both of these. The scaring on the chassis was deep.

2Ym8cjT.jpg

oLyCEns.jpg

These are the ones I got:http://shop.teamhoonage.com/losi-5ive-performance-parts/losi-desert-buggy-xl-driveshaft.html But they are quite expensive and FID I think do an alternative.

• Like 1