• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Owners

Sounds like it is a problem with either the charger or battery. Suspect the charger though. 

The stock servo should turn the wheels even on carpet but until you run a properly charged battery you won't know for sure.. Best to plan on getting one of the servos linked to in earlier post though.  ;)

John

I have emailed CML regarding warranty on both Outback and Outlaw, will see what they say. Have ordered the servo too, will keep in stock if it turns out to be ok with a properly charged battery. 

Found if I leave the battery hooked up to charger with the green led on it seems to keep charging, will keep an eye on it. Need to sort out an adapter so I can hook it up to my fast charger.

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

The new tyres have arrived. Don't have a set of Iroks but do have a couple of sets of RC4WD tyres and can't decide which is softer. :017: They feel very similar.

John

AustarTyres.jpg

The copy ones I had are the ones noj has on the barrage, which are not shiny like those. So my previous remarks about them being hard are regarding another copy and not those.

Had a ride to shop in normanton as their site said they had a alu chassis in stock, turns out it was supplier stock [emoji35]

So just grabbed some 30w silicon damper oil and some blue alloy wheel nuts.

So if i get time tonight it'll be a strip down and clean up job.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, big gaz said:

Thanks for that john, could I have the link to your seller please? Might as well while they are there :good:

A bright light in the sky is predicted for tomorrow which if my memory iserves correctly is called the Sun :tease: so I'll test the tyres in the back garden. 

Here's the link.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391617765522?clk_rvr_id=1155840192745&rmvSB=true&ul_ref=http%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F710-53481-19255-0%2F1%3Ftype%3D4%26campId%3D5337439864%26toolId%3D10001%26customId%3Diy4oyoaywk00x80000003%26mpre%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.co.uk%252Fitm%252F391617765522%26srcrot%3D710-53481-19255-0%26rvr_id%3D1155840192745&ul_noapp=true

Keep comparing the softness of the rubber used to that of the RC4WD tyres that I have and still can't make up my mind if they are as soft as the RC4WD rubber. Will just have to see how well they grip om some rocks. Also got a set of monster truck tyres for the Bigfoot WR-01 that are the same brand and can't beleive how grippy they are and seem to be using the same compound as the the Irok clones.

John

• Like 1

Ok, shocks are now filed front and back with 30w silicon oil, they see a lot better.

When i took the rears off, i pushed them in and they just stopped there.

Also shimmed tge front hubs, need to do the rears later.

Also fitted the blue wheel nuts.

Question is how much preload?

Current rear, so when i push the rear down it returns to full height,

0c3dc9b06a36061aa001f1bc7017ca30.jpg

The fronts are nearly maxed out.

Any suggestions? Will try for a test drive tomorrow

Had a quick run around the back garden with the new tyres. Everywhere is still very wet but the tyres seemed to have decent grip and felt more stable. Definitely handled better than the stock tyres though and showed no signs of the car rolling over in a tight turn which has been a problem with the stock tyres. Will have to try it in the dry though to test the handling properly.

Did a ballooning test and was impressed with how little the tyres ballooned. The stock tyres ballooned until they were "pointy". So overall impressed with the tyres, particularly for the low price. :thumbsup:

Not so impressed with the BL set-up when trying to crawl up rocks though. On the flat cogging was not a problem at all but crawling over a rock from stopped the motor would make horrible noises for a few seconds until everything synced up and the car would start moving. Would keep the BL set-up for running on the flat but for crawling it needs a sensored system or a brushed motor.

John

Edited by johninderby

The brushed set up seems abit more lively now, it was a wheelie machine for abit. But after awhile ive now got some clicking at times in the front dif.

Have had quick look and there seems to be play in the input shaft, so looks like it'll need a strip and check up.

Might get a spare housing myself and try sleeving the bearings? Perhaps 10mm bearings sitting in 4mm lengths of 10mm ID tube. That way the tube inserts could be glued into place making the bearings easily replaceable.  Think I'll order one of these and see how accurate the ID is and if the OD is about 11mm.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271143300843?var=570138193376&clk_rvr_id=1156630809575&rmvSB=true&ul_ref=http%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F710-53481-19255-0%2F1%3Ftype%3D4%26campId%3D5337439864%26toolId%3D10001%26customId%3Diy6t7ggiwv00x80000003%26mpre%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.co.uk%252Fitm%252F271143300843%253Fvar%253D570138193376%26srcrot%3D710-53481-19255-0%26rvr_id%3D1156630809575&ul_noapp=true

John

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

Well my fun has been cut short at the track this morning, I'm really pleased with how it drives though !

It ran for about 10mins then lost all speed until it stopped. I could smell something hot/melting. I'm won't take it apart trackside but first impressions point to a spur/pinion problem as the spur housing is showing signs of melting ! Mesh was set perfectly.  Will investigate & post what I find.

• Like 1

It could be but if my 10.5 motor (2pole) is no more powerful than the brushless version's 2950kv 4 pole motor I'd have thought it should be ok ?? I have zero timing & zero punch set on the esc though I am using the 23t pinion. Strange...