• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Owners

1 hour ago, garymartin2110 said:

new wheels came today hopefully not rollover as much just waiting on metal cvd to come to try them out 

20201107_130938.jpg

20201107_130929.jpg

Have you dropped the battery tray onto the spur gear cover? It lowers the centre of gravity massively & really helps with roll overs & climbing 😊

On 05/11/2020 at 18:12, tomr said:

Had the Outlaw out for a blast ......got to love these trucks for the price them 👍

Spot on fella I think that’s where folks go wrong with these they forget just how cheap they are and then expect it to cope with huge jumps and to be beaten to death 😂😂.  Mines been a real blast and like you say for the money there hard to beat, they just need a little care when using them 👍

• Like 1

@NOFX those new wheels should help and looks like you have the battery low and sideways good call!

@DAL3D looks like some one was shooting at it with a .22 what a beating! I'm digging the body rips to be fair gives it character ;) Probably get some more tires / wheels can see those being fun to chew :)

Also took the outlaws out for a mud basth today. The huge wheels keeps it pretty planted does roll when you coner at full pelt, sway bar goes in tonight.
IMAG1142.thumb.jpg.e56579a1ccb0d402a0cdaad152640f93.jpgIMAG1146.thumb.jpg.7ee41198802d7049bd40bcff6266d981.jpg
Some other changes that have helped with nose diving, harder front springs in this case hobao 1/8th scale buggy springs. Also added a gmade servo saver to save some servos since supergluing the other servo saver that was weak resulted in cheap servos being stripped, this one is very stiff but still have enough give to take a hit.
IMAG1150.thumb.jpg.cf09063627304650cca2538544897bfa.jpg
Heatshrink over steel driveshaft, didnt loose any pins or grubnuts. (Joints inside are filled with marine grease also to stop rusting etc)
Thank you for the advice on wheel hub extenders @DartmoorTrails  5.8' tires no worries no rubbing.

IMAG1143.thumb.jpg.8d4eb0e25d8ba3fd2a9bbb780ac2fca4.jpg

On the lads truck the front CV finally gave in after 5ish years, it had a really hard life so very impressed, and it was just the pin the failed not even the joint, but boy was it worn!
wornoutjoint.thumb.PNG.2d147a0f7219590e04615f4719a73e29.PNG
Expected it to happen sooner, so already had spares in stock, next will be the diff spurs, they are really sharp and on their last legs, so all in all 5 ish years for a drive train that has been hammered on brushless since the start im really impressed.

Edited by Redback

4 minutes ago, Redback said:

@NOFX those new wheels should help and looks like you have the battery low and sideways good call!

@DAL3D looks like some one was shooting at it with a .22 what a beating! I'm digging the body rips to be fair gives it character ;) Probably get some more tires / wheels can see those being fun to chew :)

Also took the outlaws out for a mud basth today. The huge wheels keeps it pretty planted does roll when you coner at full pelt, sway bar goes in tonight.
IMAG1142.thumb.jpg.e56579a1ccb0d402a0cdaad152640f93.jpg

Exactly why I removed the rear wheel from the body!!

Cool wheels! Got a link for them and the extenders please? Might help evade the jaws of doom!!

@DAL3D Sorry  not sure if your asking about mine or NoFx's wheels.
I got mine from uk stores, wheelspin and modelsport, i wouldnt reccomend them for being chased by a doggo as they are quite expensive, the alloy beadlocks tho would probably be an investment, there are outlaw alloy wheels for it, that dont need wheel widerners. https://www.modelsport.co.uk/0/rc-car-products/406615

They cost more tho so i guess the cost balances out.
I have also ran gmade tires these are good and much cheaper (the outlaw ones are good also maybe a bit tall and soft on the side walls), these are wide and seem to have less tire roll, they also are super grippy so might roll more on tarmac or shortgrass, they fit air tight to the axial wheel rims.
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=385454

The Red Oulaw is running.
GMade 2.2 Wheel Widner (4) (Offset: +13mm)
https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/237032/

Fastrax Axial 5-spoke 2.2 Alloy Wheel and Beadlock for Wraith
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/?product_id=375697
ProLine Interco TSL SX Super Swamper 2.2 G8 Tyres
ProLine Hyrax 2.2 Predator Rock Terrain Truck Tyres

The Blue Outlaw is running.
Fastrax 1:10 Crawler Granite 2.2 Scale Wheel 140mm Tyre
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=425367
Absima Aluminum Wheel Hex Hub 12mm
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/?product_id=435614

Edited by Redback
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, DAL3D said:

Had mine out today in next doors field that's recently been harvested so it's a bit rutted and rough. Little outlaw coped pretty well to be honest bouncing from rut to rut!

Unfortunately because I was going a bit slower than whizzing up and down my garden's grass, the pooch was able to keep up and bite it a few times 🙄 I don't mind really as he's one of the reasons I bought it - to get him running so I didn't have to! lol

And as nothing actually broke on the car today, I'll call it an Outlaw 1 - 1  Hans

Bite marks:

1764208703_Hanspuncturewounds1.thumb.jpg.ffaf53a6d7d1aed8de7d2b9a86d4fc1e.jpg

791143967_Hanspuncturewounds2.thumb.jpg.5d82f86ff6a6094cf144b4ab6515671d.jpg

Ready to go again:

964241064_hansreadytopounce.thumb.jpg.f442147eeacad8b3fb7474eb94577235.jpg

So I've ordered a couple more bodies, but might end up making something like the metal covered one I've seen here somewhere (sorry to whoever has done it - I looked but couldn't find reference)

Got some more bits from China nearly arrived, but Royal Mail has slapped £6.55 customs charge on it and an £8 handling fee that needs paying before they'll deliver. Still, even with that the metal chassis rails are still cheaper than here so I don't really care 🤣

Maybe tow a stuffed toy behind it as a decoy?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, garymartin2110 said:

new driveshaft came today so was able to test new wheels out a little seems much more stable now 

Make sure that you threadlock all the screws/ grubscrews in the drive shaft. They're renowned for buggering off 🙄

So taken the bodyshell off and discovered 21 puncture wounds! And a broken roll cage - hence the superglue and cable tie.

630373312_21puncturewounds.thumb.jpg.1e0eb93dbdb3aee034ed06ef09df176c.jpg

Yes, you should look guilty doggo!!

Oh, and noticed the centre windscreen post is missing! Probably in the garden or in the field. Oh well.. 🤣

Edited by DAL3D
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 31/10/2020 at 11:39, mydoddy69 said:

Just get the zorro / Torro shell  It’s the same truck underneath the shell 👍

Good job I've some Zorro / Torro wheels on the way as I think it's a bit too tight on the Outlaw ones 🤭

IMG20201111114352.thumb.jpg.542ef8a55c19ae7248cd2d3343f973fb.jpg

• Like 2

That looks surprisingly good @DAL3D, be intresting to see how it fairs, knowing the staduim truck bodies kinda fit, i might look at getting a proline one as those are pretty indistructable, very thick.
Most my ftx bodies have cracked even with other models like the highrock they seem quite thin and split easy on corners. Have you done the shoo goo and wall tape mod on this?

2 hours ago, DAL3D said:

Not done any mods of the bodyshells yet @Redback Was looking at the shoo goo / wall tape mods that have been done to shells. Might have a go at that as my wheels are a week away at least anyway 👍

Looks good with the big wheels on 👍 You’ll probably find the gearing a bit low with the Torro wheels on  so may need the 23t pinion and motor mount 👍

Edited by tomr
Mistake on pinion size👍
  • Like 1

Is the 3rd channel on the receiver permanently live to power some bodyshell lights / light bar? And if so, what voltage? Anyone done it on an outlaw yet?
Thanks in advance you lovely people 😊

31 minutes ago, DAL3D said:

Is the 3rd channel on the receiver permanently live to power some bodyshell lights / light bar? And if so, what voltage? Anyone done it on an outlaw yet?
Thanks in advance you lovely people 😊

it should be live, about 5volt, on my carnage i am powering motor cooling fan from 3rd port

• Thanks 1

Hey guys. I ran a 3s lipo on my Outlaw. I have the Hobbywing 1060 ESC in and with the stock motor. But it stopped working after like 10 seconds of me driving it. The connections between the ESC and motor were really hot and the plastic covering them got so hot that it started to melt a little. I have set the ESC parameters to Lipo on the receiver so I dont know why it stopped working. The motor also smelt really bad and was extremely hot. Please tell me what happened and how to fix it.

Sounds like you need a new ESC at least. Does the motor still turn? I had a castle motor that got really hot due to me using a dust shroud to keep the snow out. It smelled funny, but still ran like a train after it'd cooled down.