• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Stupar's Vaterra Ascender build thread.

stupar

• 4 weeks later...

After wandering into @ostewart ascender thread and spotting the lush GDS shocks i had to get me self some.

Chose the 100mm version which i think are more appropriate in length than the stock ascender shock which measure 108mm eye to eye and reel to long in my opinion.

Ostewart noted that they have a little less flex which i dont mind to much as im not looking for full blown articulation and this should help keep the tyres off the body work.

Just wish they would hurry up and arrive.

The red is going to fit in well with my black and red theme going on.

As we all like a bit of eye candy here's what they look like.

_vyr_101620150921_141307.jpg

Edited by stupar
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, stupar said:

After wandering into @ostewart ascender thread and spotting the lush GDS shocks i had to get me self some.

Chose the 100mm version which i think are more appropriate in length than the stock ascender shock which measure 108mm eye to eye and reel to long in my opinion.

Ostewart noted that they have a little less flex which i dont mind to much as im not looking for full blown articulation and this should help keep the tyres off the body work.

Just wish they would hurry up and arrive.

The red is going to fit in well with my black and red theme going on.

As we all like a bit of eye candy here's what they look like.

They need quite thick oil to get any dampening effect (slots instead of holes in the pistons), try 70-100wt, I have 100wt and it's a little slow so 70wt would probably be about right.

2 minutes ago, ostewart said:

They need quite thick oil to get any dampening effect (slots instead of holes in the pistons), try 70-100wt, I have 100wt and it's a little slow so 70wt would probably be about right.

Cheers for the tip, i need shock oil anyway so will grab some ahead of their arrival

• Like 1

Woohoo they arrived!

What can I say, the GDS shocks are a lot better than the stock vaterra offerings.  They do indeed reduce the articulation but I think I can live with that for the type of driving I will be doing.

Dropping to 100mm shocks has also tightened up the stance so it sits better too.

31893135843_5ddc304b97_o.jpgP1030371 by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

31893133403_406c4db398_o.jpgP1030375 by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

31893134003_1705076cb5_o.jpgP1030374 by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

31893134973_1956e217f5_o.jpgP1030372 by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

Edited by stupar
  • Like 2

Well seen as I had the YO out already I thought I would do some bumper tucking and trimming.

The front got trimmed on the ends but the gap left (need this gap to install a winch at a later date.

The read got the ends trimmed and the whole thing tucked to take away that massive ugly gap that was there from the start.

Looks 10 times better now

31866827714_e15b2f6b57_o.jpgP1030387 by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

32557075472_982a5316e3_o.jpgP1030385 by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

32669193786_cbe8d54120_o.jpgP1030384 by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

• Like 2

Just a small note, your tyre isn't fitted properly, not being picky, but you could rip the tyre if you take it out :good:

Truck looks awesome by the way, agree with Gaz, that rear bumper looks 10x better tucked in!

I was surprised how much more I liked my SCX10 simply by tucking the bumpers in... Until I removed them all together.

Are your lights (in the shell itself) all just stickers?

These shells look neat actually, without all the modification and price tag of a hard body.

Might get one to switch the SCX10 up and retire my Jeep!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

Just a small note, your tyre isn't fitted properly, not being picky, but you could rip the tyre if you take it out :good:

Truck looks awesome by the way, agree with Gaz, that rear bumper looks 10x better tucked in!

I was surprised how much more I liked my SCX10 simply by tucking the bumpers in... Until I removed them all together.

Are your lights (in the shell itself) all just stickers?

These shells look neat actually, without all the modification and price tag of a hard body.

Might get one to switch the SCX10 up and retire my Jeep!

Yeah already noted re the tyres.

I was hoping the Gmade beadlocks would work fine on the Vaterra TSL Interco's but they dont. The bead is quite a bit different to any other tyre and getting the bead to seat correctly when bolting the wheels together caused much swearing.

To be frank i am back to the drawing board on the wheel tyre front.

I bought a tin of Mr Muscle oven cleaner today so thst i can stop the chrome of the stock ascender wheels should they not sell.

As for shell lights yeah they are just stickers.

Edited by stupar

14 minutes ago, stupar said:

Yeah already noted re the tyres.

I was hoping the Gmade beadlocks would work fine on the Vaterra TSL Interco's but they dont. The bead is quite a bit different to any other tyre and getting the bead to seat correctly when bolting the wheels together caused much swearing.

To be frank i am back to the drawing board on the wheel tyre front.

I bought a tin of Mr Muscle oven cleaner today so thst i can stop the chrome of the stock ascender wheels should they not sell.

As for shell lights yeah they are just stickers.

One trick you can use if you don't already know, is to buy a couple of decent length bolts, the right dia for your hubs, stick those through, then slowly tighten them down, it makes lining your beads up a lot easier than just using those short scale bolts, once they're even and secured, put four of the scale bolts in, take the normal bolts out and finish off with the last two scale bolts :)

That can work, unless the beads are just not compatible.

Pro-Line do have a strange way of making sure there tyres only fit there own wheels... Which is a shame considering they don't make a decent scaler/crawler wheel lol.

Cheers for info re stickers :D

10 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

One trick you can use if you don't already know, is to buy a couple of decent length bolts, the right dia for your hubs, stick those through, then slowly tighten them down, it makes lining your beads up a lot easier than just using those short scale bolts, once they're even and secured, put four of the scale bolts in, take the normal bolts out and finish off with the last two scale bolts :)

That can work, unless the beads are just not compatible.

Pro-Line do have a strange way of making sure there tyres only fit there own wheels... Which is a shame considering they don't make a decent scaler/crawler wheel lol.

Cheers for info re stickers :D

The gmade wheels came with the long bolts as you mentioned and i did the wheels as per the instructions which match what you say too.

I think its the tyres with their awkward bead.

These arent the proline interco's, these are the Vaterras interco's.

14 minutes ago, stupar said:

The gmade wheels came with the long bolts as you mentioned and i did the wheels as per the instructions which match what you say too.

I think its the tyres with their awkward bead.

These arent the proline interco's, these are the Vaterras interco's.

Don't be mistaken by the Vaterra badge, they're all the same, although someone may correct me?

Given Proline have a habit of making stupid beads that don't fit anything else lol.

I'd definitely say opt for a different tyre than a different wheel... The wheels suit it, were as those tyres aren't great.

• Like 1

I have a set of tyres too, they don't fit rc4wd wheels either. So bought the proline rings for the wheels and still don't fit properly.

there packed away in a box now.....

might have to to try them on some axial/proline beadlocks I have though.

if it comes to it, give me a shout on the tyres though mate :good:

1 hour ago, big gaz said:

I have a set of tyres too, they don't fit rc4wd wheels either. So bought the proline rings for the wheels and still don't fit properly.

there packed away in a box now.....

might have to to try them on some axial/proline beadlocks I have though.

if it comes to it, give me a shout on the tyres though mate :good:

Alrite Gaz

I had a mess about with the tyres last night and still couldnt get them to seat properly on the Gmade wheels so i think it is safe to say they will be going.

Are you interested in dibs on the tyres?

If so do you want me to create a sale thread (keep it within the rules etc)?

So the YO has a new set of tyres and wheels and im finally happy.

I always thought the stock tyres were out of proportion with the hilux body so a drop in height from 114mm to 100mm has made all the difference and the aluminium wheels add a bit of extra low down weight.

I can now rest in peace and move on to the next part of the truck.

32653482682_b6d63416b3_o.jpgP1030403 by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

Sooooo..........the force for a Tamiya Scania is strong and i feel the urge to move to the murky depths of RC trucks.

Alas i am not blessed with unlimited cash to buy and keep all the models i would like thus the Hilux has to go so check out the classifieds if your interested.

A swap for a Scania would be ideal but i would also consider a cash sale.