• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Stupar's Vaterra Ascender build thread.

stupar

Hi folks.

I want to do a scale hilux build and i am undecided on which chassis to use.

What are others views on this and which body is easier to mount between the Mojave bodykit and the Tamiya Hilux?

Please feel free to add anything else that may be relevant to this potential build.

Cheers!

Here's a hilux body mount for the TF2 body that bolts straight on an scx10 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/body-shell-mount-kit-for-scx10-to-use-tf2-body-shell-/161268575413?hash=item258c5b2cb5:g:BgUAAOSwe-FU9~-Y but deciding between an scx10 or ascender that's really down to personal preference I could go all the same places with both of them so Im not going to say get one or the other because I've owned both chassis and liked them both 

1 hour ago, RC4WD fan said:

Here's a hilux body mount for the TF2 body that bolts straight on an scx10 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/body-shell-mount-kit-for-scx10-to-use-tf2-body-shell-/161268575413?hash=item258c5b2cb5:g:BgUAAOSwe-FU9~-Y but deciding between an scx10 or ascender that's really down to personal preference I could go all the same places with both of them so Im not going to say get one or the other because I've owned both chassis and liked them both 

Thanks for the come back.

I decided to pull the trigger today on the ascender kit seen as its a good price on MS.

I found in the last few hours someone on Rccrawlers.com who has mounted the Mojave body on the ascender so i think.... think i am sorted.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stupar said:

Thanks for the come back.

I decided to pull the trigger today on the ascender kit seen as its a good price on MS.

I found in the last few hours someone on Rccrawlers.com who has mounted the Mojave body on the ascender so i think.... think i am sorted.

Are you going to do a build thread ?

Well the ascender has landed.

The first think that caught my eye is just how big the blazer body is!

I also quickly noticed how everything is neatly bagged. Not a plastic tree in sight so no bits of plastic to cut and file

Because i am doing a hilux build my blazer is up for sale in the classifieds if anyone is after one.

Cant wait to commence the build!

• Like 2

IWell the build has started.

Did bag A1 tonight for the gearbox and output shafts.

Was a nice simple process with nothing painful involved.

30583556480_898e2f5cd1_b.jpgVaterra Ascender bag A1 gearbox by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

Things to note so far-

Bags are well labelled and almost impossible to not understand the order of build.

The included hex drivers are mush. Invest in a a decent set of drivers if you dont already have some!

Hopefully my RC4WD 55T can will arrive tomorrow and i can get it installed and the cover on.

• Like 2

Well missed the postie today so wont get my MS package until tomorrow.

In thec meantime tonight was bags B and C (front and rear axles)

These were a doddle to put together. I like the spool idea but im not sure on thedrive shaft being bolted into the diff housing. Popping a shaft will require a complete axle strips and rebuild.

Even after a couple of years since release the manual still has some inaccuracies in the instructions.

Thankfully someone on RCcrawlers has documented where the inaccuracies are.

Below are the completes axles. To be frank the chrome diff covers are a bit to in your face for me. Thankfully some alloy covers have been spotted and will be purchased.

30266967733_2947191290_b.jpgVaterra Ascender front axle by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

30602281040_906749682e_b.jpgVaterra ascender rear axle by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

Edited by stupar
  • Like 1

Woohoo new toys! Gutted though with the Vaterra Sliprock wheels. Even though stated as 1.9 they are smalled than the stock ascender wheels so dont fit the tyre properly.

30880703366_24ced1e07e_b.jpgGoodies! by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

55T motor now installed

30282385884_3c5c931100_b.jpgRC4WD 55T motor mounted by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

Chassis in the stages of assembly.

Liking the red radio box which looks like a fuel tank....nice touch if deliberate, if not still nice!

30282398014_6a1ff703eb_b.jpgChassis under construction by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

30880737216_16000b1890_b.jpgChassis with servo and ESC installed by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

Edited by stupar
  • Like 1

Started the 3 link plus panhard this morning on the front axle.

To day the manual is misleading is a slight understatement.

Im doing a 314mm wheelbase so bootom links should be 66mm and the top link should be 61mm despite the manual stating 66mm.

As for the panhard, you are left guessing what length to make it as thr manual doesnt even cover its build.

Thanks again to RCcrawlers though for doing a comprehensive guide on chassis and link lengths for the various wheelbase options.

On a seperate note i lost an e-clip when building the shocks so i have three shocks built until MS deliver my spar pack of e-clips.

1 hour ago, twisty said:

Looking good so far.

Is the  Mojave bodykit slightly longer wheel base than the Tamiya body then? i thought the Tamiya one is 311mm?

Well here's the thing.

The mojave body is slightly longer then the tamiya version but im going with neither now as both are very expensive (The tamiya more so by the time you buy all the various parts to complete it)

Instead i am going for the proline Toyota Hilux SR5 which has a nice 313mm wheelbase so it will be perfect for my 314mm wheelbase chassis.

Got the 3 link and panhard sorted so my front axle now sits straight with no catching on the frame from the righthand shock.

Because i cant finish of the rear axle i thought i would do rhe bumpers end rock sliders.

Now i have never liked the way the rocksliders week around the body so i decided to do a simple little mod to level them out and use them as step plates instead.

They look instantly better to me but still serve as rock sliders when crawling

30634339200_1b73c2c014_b.jpgVaterra Ascender rock sliders by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

6 minutes ago, stupar said:

Small update

The joys of having access to my wifes Silhoutte Cameo cutting machine.

A roll of aluminium effect self adhesive vinyl a few minutes work on the laptop and hey presto

30920598841_104a95dba2_b.jpgCustom badges by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

That's pretty cool :good: started with the accessories already :lol: