• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What RC?

METALHEAD

This question probably gets asked a lot but I'm an ejit and can't seem to find relevant help so I'll ask it again :) 

I need some help choosing my first truck, I don't want to race it or anything it will mainly be a basher I can take anywhere with the lad. Something I can take to the bmx track or whatever and thrash the life out of it. Something that I can jump, take through mud, grass etc with a load of spares and hop-ups etc. Also to be honest something that's not going to break the bank either "so no Losi" :( for whatever reason this cannot be a Short Course truck, I don't know why I just don't like the look of them

I'm not even sure what power source to go with, back when I last had an electric car the technology was a bit pants and nitro won every time, have things changed?

Once I've decided that I'll need some help with which models/brand lol....

Buggy, Truggy/ST or Monster?

Electric, Nitro or Petrol?

Lets try that again.

Electric has come on an awful lot i suspect.

Whats your budget?

What do you prefer..... monster truck, buggy, truggy or stadium truck?

Nitro is noisy as your aware, would running it annoy the locals?

Well, the last electric I had ran on NiCad batteries, it was a Tamiya kit I had in about 1996? ish? So it likely has come on, noise wise I do love the noise factor and quite frankly the neighbors can kiss my skid plate when they've been mowing their gardens at 10pm. Budget is probably somewhere £200-450 ish, will need to be RTR or an all in bundle as I currently have nothing, no remote or anything but then again I always prefered stick remotes over the steering wheel type that people use so may have to source separately.

I like the look of Monsters and Truggys/STs but then I "think in my head" that a Buggy will be faster, am I right? Also is a Truggy and an ST the same thing?

Well with electric, depending on what you go for you need to factor in battery & charger cost. If you don't want to wait more than 1hr for charging that's when your price goes up.

For instance if you decide to use a 4s machine with a 6000mah pack you'd need a charger with a minimum of 100watts output to charge it in 1hr. Then if you get a second battery you would need to double the charger size etc. You could be looking at £30+ per battery and a 100w charge + psu setup could set you back £60+.

Just food for thought. A run of the mill 50w (which the model shops try and throw at you) could take 2 hrs for the battery size I mentioned.

If you decide to go electric then jump in with a highish power charge system straight out of the gate so you are future set. I did that after research and didn't regret doing it.

This is the one I went for:

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__26013__TURNIGY_MEGA_400W_V2_Lithium_Polymer_Battery_Charger_Version_2_UK_Warehouse_.html

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__82549__TURNIGY_540W_Dual_Output_Switching_Power_Supply_UK_Plug_UK_Warehouse_.html

These will do 4x 4s batteries easily with a parallel board and only works out at double the cost of a 50-80watt which would barely do 1.

You would get away with this psu if only charging 2-3 batts on the charger above;

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__35179__HobbyKing_350w_25A_Power_Supply_220v_240v_UK_Warehouse_.html

In terms of vehicle model there are too many to choose from :rolleyes:

From your first post, traxxas rustler or stampede vxl tick the boxes all barring the stick transmitter.

yes they are a little more expensive to buy first off but there durable, parts and hop-ups are everywhere and reasonably priced and with a few choice goodies will take the "abuse" you wish to give it.

as for batteries and chargers etc. Only advice I'll give is spend the most you can afford, don't cheap out because these will move on to another rc should you wish. :good:

3 hours ago, METALHEAD said:

Well, the last electric I had ran on NiCad batteries, it was a Tamiya kit I had in about 1996? ish? So it likely has come on, noise wise I do love the noise factor and quite frankly the neighbors can kiss my skid plate when they've been mowing their gardens at 10pm. Budget is probably somewhere £200-450 ish, will need to be RTR or an all in bundle as I currently have nothing, no remote or anything but then again I always prefered stick remotes over the steering wheel type that people use so may have to source separately.

I like the look of Monsters and Truggys/STs but then I "think in my head" that a Buggy will be faster, am I right? Also is a Truggy and an ST the same thing?

I do not think there is any RTR that comes with sticks these days...pffft...( I use sticks btw)...

You really have to decide which power plant YOU want....positives and negatives for both, nothing clear cut...some think they can manage an engine and some think they need electric....only you can decide....plenty of video on Youtube.

A buggy of the same scale will always turn faster than a truggy...if they have the same power unit then the buggy will accelerate faster.....the truggy will handle rougher ground better.

Just to throw it out there, go for petrol then :D,  I've tried them all and i love petrol the most but i suppose everyone is different.

The only problem with petrol you might have is it's quite expensive compared to electric and nitro. But also the most fun in my eyes.

Edited by SlayerLayer

1 hour ago, SlayerLayer said:

Just to throw it out there, go for petrol then :D,  I've tried them all and i love petrol the most but i suppose everyone is different.

The only problem with petrol you might have is it's quite expensive compared to electric and nitro. But also the most fun in my eyes.

mmmmm I do like the look of the Blackout MT, but yeah, very expensive. But I suppose if you weigh fuel costs in to it the price of Nitro begins to climb

I'd go hyper st/pro truggy over the ss and trophy truggy  anyday as its a tried and  tested  platform. ...period! !:yes:!..or the haboa mte....few on here have them brushless  and they r good....no doubt  the nitro one is jus as good  aswell:good:

The ss range of rc's ain't as good as the hyper  range....ss truggy...or  ss buggy....or the cage  thing they do......r all weaker and parts ain't  as easily available as they  r for the hyper buggy...or hyper st/pro truggy....:good:

3 minutes ago, evssv said:

I'd go hyper st/pro truggy over the ss and trophy truggy  anyday as its a tried and  tested  platform. ...period! !:yes:!..or the haboa mte....few on here have them brushless  and they r good....no doubt  the nitro one is jus as good  aswell:good:

I keep hearing bad things about the MacStar engine tho

If u go nitro u ideally  want the  .21 3port but I'm  not sure  what comes  with the truggys tbh....The best engine in the hyper 7 buggy is the .21 3 port......unless  u buy the pro kit and stick in a  decent  engine urself

1 hour ago, froggy8 said:

you can always sell the engine and buy another one

Thats far too much faffing about

51 minutes ago, evssv said:

Or look at that Savage xl on here for sell . .proper bargain :good:. .In the for sale section. ....

A bargain maybe but travelling to Newbury makes it a no deal, plus not sold on MT unless I go mental big like the Blackout