• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Savage xl brushless conversion advice please:)

Caine

Hi guys I have a savage xl which I currently run with a lrp.32 but have been toying with idea of converting to brushless. I love my nitros but just fancy a change and a bit of a project. 

Firstly I've been looking at the kershaw designs conversions but don't know if I should buy the kit that will convert the standard tranny ( cheapest option as it includes battery trays pinion etc) or to go with the replacement centre gear box which will cost a fair bit more?

Next question is brushless systems. I want to try to avoid one that costs the earth so have been looking at the ezrun/hobby king combos. I've never had a problem with these in my 1/10th cars but im unsure about reliability when hauling round such a big lump of a truck.

Lastly lipos,please excuse me as I only run 2s in my others so im a bit wet round the ears with this! I gather when people are running 4s in savage conversions they mean 2 2s lipos, Or 6s as 2 x3s packs?

Any advice would be great. 

Thanks

If you've got the 3 spd box fitted it'll be sweet on 2000-2200kv & 150a esc on 4s as suggested 5s on occasion.

I wouldn't go down the center diff route on a MT ever again!!!!

I'd quite like the 3spd MT myself for my Leopard 4082 1600kv on 6s but have no funding :( :lol:

• Like 1

My Savvy runs the Alza CD, I love it! It's the best handling truck in my fleet, and it's a Savvy! 

If you go CD, go low KV, 1400 to 1700 max. I'm running a 1717 and it's nippy on 4S, fast on 5S and silly on 6S. 

Hobbywing never hobbyking. 

I've been thinking about getting a savage flux and think my perfect electric combo would be the hobbywing maxx 8 with a Leppard motor. 

I would never use a castle mamba monster esc it's specs clearly say it's a 50/50 gamble in that sized truck. I just wish hobbywing offerd us the pc data stuff that castle has. 

I think castle make excellent motors but their escs are true over achievers. Price and performance. 

I think Leppard gives castle motors a run for the money too. 

• Like 1

For a CD one you need a 1717 

44 minutes ago, Tug said:

My Savvy runs the Alza CD, I love it! It's the best handling truck in my fleet, and it's a Savvy! 

If you go CD, go low KV, 1400 to 1700 max. I'm running a 1717 and it's nippy on 4S, fast on 5S and silly on 6S. 

For a CD one you need an expensive motor like that imo :lol:

I did a CD conversion on a MGT and although it was quick it overheated the motor all the time after 5 mins.

Went back to the 2spd box and it never overheated again, was just as quick with same top speed.

It's all about how much power it needs to get it moving. Once it's moving it's fine.

This is why I say use the 3spd box. The low first gear puts less load on the motor to get it moving. The less the load - the less the heat. The less the load & heat - the less power used, the less power used - the better the run times. Simple physics.

Might even be quicker than a CD top end once it hits 3rd.

I want to do one now :lol:

• Like 1

Thanks for your responses guys! Looks like I can get it sorted for the budget I kinda set for myself. 

Good to know that people rate the lower priced esc/motors.

I think I will go for the kit utilising the 3spd box.

What kind of runtimes can I expect on a 2000kv motor running on 4s do you think?

Run time is down to what mah Lipo's you buy.

i love brushless Savage's, I'm on my 5th :) personally I'd keep the transmission, just add the flux gear and the HD 18-23 Gear. Centre diffs have no place in an MT imo!

XL flux TVPS, A motor mount and battery trays and you're all set in terms of the conversion. You've got the best base with an XL.

• Like 1

If the motor is over-heating, it's the wrong motor or wrong gearing. Mine suffers no heat issues, even when I was using the Leopard 4092, 1480kv, which was half the price. 

You may not like a CD, but that's just your opinion. 

The gearbox route has more moving parts, this is more to go wrong and maintain. I like the simplicity of the CD option, less to go wrong. I miss the failsafe of having a slipper, but I can drive around that. 

50 minutes ago, Tug said:

If the motor is over-heating, it's the wrong motor or wrong gearing. Mine suffers no heat issues, even when I was using the Leopard 4092, 1480kv, which was half the price. 

The gearbox route has more moving parts, this is more to go wrong and maintain. I like the simplicity of the CD option, less to go wrong. I miss the failsafe of having a slipper, but I can drive around that. 

I was on a 9t pinny 50t spur 1600kv 4082 in the end when I gave up. Started on a 14t Couldn't go any smaller pinny than 9t.

The Savage 3 spd box is a simple design not like the Traxxas or MGT.

Edited by dazp1976

13 hours ago, Tug said:

You might as well go with a Truggy if youre gonna go for a CD though? Completely changes a monster trucks characteristics and makes it something that isnt a monster truck. IMO. 

Yes Locky, by three gear we mean three internal gears as opposed to a multi change transmission. The Flux Idler gear will replace the 3 speed

2 hours ago, Guns said:

You might as well go with a Truggy if youre gonna go for a CD though? Completely changes a monster trucks characteristics and makes it something that isnt a monster truck. IMO. 

Yes Locky, by three gear we mean three internal gears as opposed to a multi change transmission. The Flux Idler gear will replace the 3 speed

It's just a toy car, so not life changing. For me personally, I like what a CD brings to the table. Buggy's, and to a lesser extent Truggys, leave me cold. That's why I'll always favour the MT platform, but I reserve the right to run a CD because it's just a toy, I see no reason to try and replicate real life with any of the fleet.