• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

X2; brushless.

Tug

Gave this a quick run this evening, gotta love the long summer evenings! 

Tonight's configuration was; 780kv, 8S and a 15 tooth pinion. 

I kept the throttle end point at 100% to start with, but temps climbed rapidly to over 60C, so I lowered the end point to 80% for a while and it didn't climb any further. 

I was running the car with two sets of cells installed, but only one set hooked up at a time. I've got some parallel leads somewhere, just need to dig them out. Having 16,000mah of capacity on board definitely shows, she definitely rolls more in the corners, this weight deficit probably didn't help the temps. 

All in all, I still love this rig, switching up to the 780kv has really woken her up, runtimes are definitely shorter though! 

Definitely need to see this thing in the quarry or getting a good spanking somewhere Clive.

I've got a 5ive now, not run it yet and unsure if to keep it or to let it go.

When I fire it up, especially with the body on and it's insanely loud, I want to just take it for a rip, but then I realised how often I will actually get to do that and hmm, it's not as enticing as the cash! :unsure:

Hopefully I'll get back to the quarry soon, BEFORE WE RUN OUT OF SUN! 

I don't get to run mine nearly as often as I'd like, but that's work and family life for ya. 

I'm fairly limited on space too, we now have a garage, but it's got our motorbikes in, so not really handy for RC storage.

Plus it's a bit of a walk from the house, so carting the 5ive and Bajas up to the house to charge them anytime we want to use them will become pretty old pretty quick.

In two minds still... I wish it was simple and cheaper to make them BL!

It ain't cheap, the runtimes are short, they're no lighter than the smokers! I love my leccy cars, but fossil fuel still wins on runtime and recharge time. 

Agreed, I just think if I could run this in our secret little quarry, it'd get a lot more use.

But as it sits, we want to remain as anonymous as possible when we're in it, because you walk down into it, unless you're being very loud or someone actually comes down, you can't be seen from the road.

The echo from a Losi, especially with the body on and with this pipe, would be immense, so it's a no go :( 

• 9 months later...

So setting the mesh has always been a pain, the motor mount was flat, but the chassis has a couple of slight ridges in it. This meant that when you tightened one of the two screws, the gap would widen, tighten the second screw and the gap would close. Getting the perfect gap took time and luck. 

So I decided to put a penny washer between the motor mount and chassis. Two mounting screws, two penny washers. This lifts the motor mount just enough to allow it to slide back and forth freely, thus setting the mesh much easier. There's a small amount of flex, but I don't think it's any more than before installing the washers. 

I've also ordered two more pinions, a twelve and thirteen tooth. Temps have been a little high with the 15 tooth on 8S. Not overly fussed on top speed, would rather have a reliable rig that's not melting expensive motors. 

The diff gears have been changed in the rear and centre diffs, but the centre is now leaking, serves me right for cutting corners and not replacing the gasket. Replacements ordered. 

Sun's out, let's bash!

• 3 weeks later...

Tyres; I'm sure people used to say that Baja 5T fronts all round were good for the 5ive platform, is that correct? I'd like Trenchers, but can only find the copies called Pioneers, will they fit OK? Dimensions seem slightly narrower?

I think they are around the same size. Those pioneers seem to be a clone of the ones that were released for the 5ive by proline. I know the mad Max giant grip fit Losi wheels and foams and also Silverback wheels.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been struggling with the mesh, and given the price of these pinions decided to change course. There are a couple of reasons for this, the price of the pinions as said, the spurs are horrendous money! I like my rigs to run nice. I need the 780 for the DBXL. The 5ive platform is a heavyweight and so a lower kv motor is probably better. 

So I've put the 520 back in on the 18 tooth pinion as before. I'm still using inserts, the 19.5 size seem about right, but I'll need to test it first. 

Eventually I'll get a Beast ESC, this'll go in the X2 for 10 or 12 cell operation. I'll experiment with the 520 and 380 on these higher voltages and decide then. 

As for the damage on the pinions, it wasn't just the leading edge, but also the rear edge of each tooth. This would definitely be a mesh that's too tight. But if I backed the mesh off, the damage on the lead edge would worsen. Just couldn't make the smaller pinions work, and as I want the 780 for the lighter DBXL, it made sense to swap back to how the X2 was running previously. 

That's all for tonight. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Finally, after many years, I've gotten around to re-fitting the mechanical brakes. I've decided on front axle only and am loving watching the front wheels lock up! Electrical braking was set to 62.5%, currently on 12.5%, but will probably switch them off altogether. I'm interested to see what differences there are to the motor temps, just need time for a proper run. I've also fitted a motor temp gadget that I've owned for approx ten years and never used, has an alarm too. Pics later. 

After this test, it's time for the really big change, but not before I've finished testing this set-up. 

Hooked it up to 6 cells and the motor, got it calibrated. Plugged in the LCD box and set parameters. 

The manual for the ESC was all in German, I'll have to try and download an English version. It has a quick start guide in Chinglish, but it doesn't cover much. Does anyone know if its auto cell count is even numbers only? I'll definitely run alarms for the first few runs. 

Given the size and weight of these ESCs, why only two mounting holes in the bottom? That's ridiculous! And they're both at one end! Absurd!