• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Maverick ESC toast, what replacement?

Sven

So, after the kids managed to flip the Maverick in a stream a couple of times yesterday, today it didn't want to run. Indeed, it released the smoke so I figure the electricity has left the building :(

I have no knowledge of these systems but wonder what are recommended replacement/upgrade systems?

Do you have to change the whole RC at the same time?

Is it worth upgrading to LiPo's, we're not really in a hurry after all ;)

I have already upgraded to the Motor to 35T which has been perfect for both climbing (just) and being to move a little bit faster (just above walking speed) so would look for a solution with similar characteristics.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Cheers!

BSV

Thanks, would that be a drop in replacement i.e. you can keep the transmitter, servos and motor the same?

Presumably this ESC "does" rock crawling i.e. with proper braking and low speed?

Hmm, I'm a bit unsure about which box is which really. The one with the cooling fins and connected to the motor directly, which lost it's smoke, that would be the ESC?

What's the other unit, the receiver?

Can you change the ESC and keep the receiver?

Sorry for all the questions ;)

Yes, you can change the esc and keep all other components. The esc is the component that is connected with two wires to the motor (or in case of brushless 3 wires)

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=386319&gclid=CMaV-6qv0csCFUE_GwodkuENDA    This is the standard esc as far as I know

Quicrun 1060 as previously suggested would be better value and better performance.

Thanks guys, this is really appreciated and the QR1060 looks really good so I will order one of those.

Continuing on this subject a little bit, can you recommend a transmitter and receiver combination too?

The standard one has worked fine but it would be fun to perhaps have an extra channel or two for extra equipment like lights and such for a bit of added fun ;)

Any tips?

As thanks for your help I'll attach some photo's of what the Maverick currently looks like after various modifications.

IMG_7198.jpg

Nice truck. for rx and tx flysky do some good cheap and reliable ones that are rebranded by other companies like etronix just look for flysky on ebay should get loads of results

I've been looking around at various FlySky options and after first having been fascinated by the 4 channel iT4S I think I have calmed down a bit and now perhaps thinking more in line with the 3 channel GT3C. Does anyone have any experience with these or can recommend other 3 channel systems?

The iT4S is quite a bit more money, basically more than the car is worth, so perhaps a bit over the top. Also not sure if you can buy it locally as all options seems to be deliveries from China?

I prefer to buy from some known local dealer to get a better chance of local support if needed and it seems like the 3 channels may be available locally?

It would be best if I could buy from a shop around Herts but they don't seem to stock these ones.

Any tips?

GT3C will be more than enough for you mate and it has most of the features that you will need. It is also rebranded by people like etronix and sold on

Edited by sunny
addition
  • Like 1

One thing I haven't really got my head around are the channel "limitations". A 3 channel system I guess have 3 fully controlled channels but considering that this is a fully digital system why can't they add a dozen switches to the top with simple on-off channels for all the accessories?

Data wise it seems like it would be dead simple and obviously not use any significant amount of BW since only on-off would need to be transmitted?

Maybe all the on-off channels coulee be connected in series to simplify the wiring?

How hard could it be :P

What a pooddle I was. By mistake I ordered the wrong ESC and got the Maverick one instead. Anyway, it seems good enough so I'll probably keep it as I cannot be bothered with the hassle :boredlook: 

The main difference (except from being slightly More expensive) is that the 1060 can handle more current, but I'm guessing it's not critical for a crawler anyway.

Thanks for all the help and the tips! 

:thumbsup:

• 10 months later...

I have now seemingly managed to toast the Maverick ESC after only a few drives. Was playing around with a Y-lead for feeding the LED's before realising that I had fed full battery power into the control output from the ESC, and now it won't control anything :o

Well, I always learn most from mistakes :boredlook:

Time to order the Quicrun 1060 and see how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

I also have a Maverick Sven and I think we all learn by our mistakes on the way.... I have noticed that you have removed the "annoying" axle bumpers. Here is a quick tip should you want to snip the screw posts off for even better clearance... you 'll get holes in the axle housing so be prepared to have something on hand to close them! I have used a scrap piece of stainless steel I've found on work and with a bit of trimming/light hammering I made this. Glued it on front side only though (as to be able to open the housing easily) and used tape on the back side.

skid.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 22/03/2016 at 21:35, Sven said:

Thanks guys, this is really appreciated and the QR1060 looks really good so I will order one of those.

Continuing on this subject a little bit, can you recommend a transmitter and receiver combination too?

The standard one has worked fine but it would be fun to perhaps have an extra channel or two for extra equipment like lights and such for a bit of added fun ;)

Any tips?

As thanks for your help I'll attach some photo's of what the Maverick currently looks like after various modifications.

IMG_7198.jpg

Hi,

is this a maverick scout with a rubicon shell? Did it fit pretty easily without much stock changes?

Dan