• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

2015 KMaxx Magneto / Super Maxx Build Thread

sputnik

I was asked by a couple other members in a different thread to document my Magneto / Blackbird / Ph@ntom SuperMaxx Builds ...

Kmaxx Magneto Starts off like this:  [ but will morph into some changes ]

2015-05-27_0940.png

The DUH Blackbird build will start out like this: [ will be detailed in a separate thread / post ]

2015-12-28_1122.png

2015-12-28_1123.png

The CentraleMaxx PH@NTOM V. 2 Just arrived and so it starts off like this: [ will be detailed in a separate thread / post ]

2015-12-28_1124.png

• Like 2

For me ... it almost always starts with - The DIFFs - so a major DIFF Day was scheduled - and it took all day! [ and more ]

The Magneto is going to run CEN Genesis diffs - beefy mofo's ... Front and Rear and a Hobao Spyder 8 with 52T Lightweight Spurin Center

Here's the start of Diff Day.  3 CEN on the left - Hobao Spyder 8s for center and F/R of some of the other builds ... UE, unlimited engineering outdrive cups in plastic - and some alternative lower final drive ratio options for the CEN in case the standard set are too tall to run in the Magneto

2015-12-28_1140.png

2015-12-28_1144.png

2015-12-28_1146.png

2015-12-28_1147.png

The CEN diffs use a much larger diameter pin to hold their outdrive cups in place and attach to the internal sun gear than the UE/Unlimited Engineering units.  The OFNA/UE pins are too long so I had to mark them to length and use the dremel cutoff wheel and vice grips to hold the lil buggarz and snip them to length.  once measured up - its a 20 min job to get 4 or 6 of them done.  Piece o' cake - they work a treat too.  CEN on right OFNA / Hobao / UE on Left - snipped.   Cleaned up the diff a little too and removed extra rtv ..   I decided on the UE outdrive cups - because at the time the decision was made - the CEN hexigonical outdrive cups that came with my diffs were being turnt into shrapnel by 200kv / 4s combos as they were too soft - and the older beefy CEN units were not yet back in stock.  They are now stocked up and I recall the part # as MX301 [ checked ] - so if you want to run CEN get those outdrive cups before running and you can avoid the UE pin steps.

2015-12-28_1148.png

2015-12-28_1156.png

Diff Day - 1/2 way point of the day.  Progress = 2 CEN DIFFS and 1 Hobao Spyder 8 for the center.  120k silicon center / 50k Front / 30k Rear

These oil weights are super heavy and go against my experience and testing , but the SuperMaxx guys are telling me 1717 on 6s with these gears and trucks - its what to run - giving it a whirl.

Note the CEN Diffs all snuggled up in their KMaxx 7075 Bombshelter Diff Housings?  Sick!

2015-12-28_1200.png

2015-12-28_1205.png

Here's the other Hobao Spyder 8 / Center - next to its new home - Kmaxx Customs Center Diff + Moto Mount - Holds up to 1717!!!

2015-12-28_1206.png

This ^^^^ was the 1st iteration - learned a lesson - the UE outdrive cups dont fit thru the mount I have - or the UE cups I have are old and too phat - so I had to rebuild that diff again!  Arrrrghhhhh .... note stock outdrive cups on this one ....

2015-12-28_1209.png2015-12-28_1211.png

The 2nd half of the days progress shall follow in next post ....

Edited by sputnik
  • Like 1

A little bit of a backtrack here ... All the parts started life as shiny and new - but a friend in another group made the aluminum look 'Frosted".  I liked it and copied the look.  Truth be told - its a great way to make older used parts look like brand new again, and brand new look out of the ordinary and cool - white'ish frosted ...   BEFORE.

Mmmmmm shiny

2015-12-28_1313.png

AFTER:  Bead Blasted with 70% walnut husks and 30% glass bead

2015-12-28_1316.png

The Harbor Freight $150 Bead Blast Cabinet ...

2015-12-28_1319.png

Before:

2015-12-28_1321.png

AFTER: [ partial ]

2015-12-28_1322.png

AFTER: more

2015-12-28_1323.png

So .... for all three trucks im building - if the part has that frosted look - it spent some time in that box - taking a beating ...  speaking of taking a beating.

Never Bead Blast Yer Self Mates - not fun ... [ removing parts and hit the trigger for a short blast to the forearm ] DUOH!

2015-12-28_1328.png

Just a little blast embedded walnut and glass into the skin enough to make me bleed out of all those lil holes.  Thats after it stopped a bit.

Now that we know why my Aluminum isnt shiny / polished and like a mirror, here's what else got slapped together as a dry fit run over the last weekends "DIFF Day"

Pretty good progress - lots of little odds n ends still to sort out ... Even MORE DIFFS were added to the workspace:  Kyosho 50T for the Magneto as a spare and the Mugen Center Diff goodies for the Ph@ntom v2 build

2015-12-28_1333.png

CEN Diffs in GPM bead blasted bulkheads / Bead Blasted Strobe braces and Raw DUH Tall Titanium Shock Towers ... with G.A.R.C. 7075 Bulks as contrast.

2015-12-28_1335.png

2015-12-28_1337.png

These bits are on their way to fill the void do to the DUH Ti tower thickness difference over stock ...

2015-12-28_1338.png

2015-12-28_1340.png

Found an old OFNA 9.5 Shock standoff fits perf to fill the void on the strobe braces support in rear...

2015-12-28_1341.png

Center Diff mounted onto center bottom of Magneto Chassis

2015-12-28_1345.png

More testing and Dry Fittin'

2015-12-28_1346.png

2015-12-28_1347.png

This shot features the CentraleMaxx Rear Chassis extension - as well as the CentraleMaxx custom Servo Saver

2015-12-28_1348.png

In this configuration - Ive test fitted Hong Nor / Jammin X2 CRT center driveline universals to be a solid direct fit --- ^^^^^ ----

2015-12-28_1352.png

2015-12-28_1353.png

That caps build day / dry / test fit Day 1's activities and progress ... PM or post any questions.

6 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Very interesting build.

Don't like the gap on the upper bolts between the brace and the shock / body mount plate. Do you have adjustment or collars for that?

Al.

Thanks Al,

Yeah me neither brother!  The proper parts to correct that are on their way - being made actually.  I may even trace out the strobe braces face and make some out of some extra Carbon Fiber sheet I have laying about.  However; these are the parts we use to resolve that:

2015-12-28_1338.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sputnik said:

Thanks Al,

Yeah me neither brother!  The proper parts to correct that are on their way - being made actually.  I may even trace out the strobe braces face and make some out of some extra Carbon Fiber sheet I have laying about.  However; these are the parts we use to resolve that:

2015-12-28_1338.png

That was the gap I was talking about.

Glad you're onto it.

Al.

8 hours ago, atom3624 said:

That was the gap I was talking about.

Glad you're onto it.

Al.

Whatta ya think - Ya or Nay ?  Banged this out right quick  - it would work in a pinch... wish I had a water jet handy :-)  Carbon Fiber spacer ...

2015-12-29_2341.png

2015-12-29_2337.png

2015-12-29_2340.png

1 hour ago, Tug said:

Was that gap there because it was designed for thicker towers? 

100% with Tug here.

Are they the titanium ones I've seen advertised lately?

I've had all sorts - original plastic, early Tower Hobbies option alloy ones, various Integy - finest Chinesium, and UE Kunckleheads - now on.

I purchased a pair from Billytrucks last year that are over 6 mm thick (1/4").

That spacer should hold provided you don't tighten too much - it'll fracture.

Relatively minor point anyway.

On with the build!!

Al.

• Like 1

Mine had super thick towers, not sure on the make, but not cheap. They still bent, switched to rpm and haven't looked back. Not as blingy, but they're perfect for high stress areas. 

1717 FTW!

• Like 1

Before I swapped out the old 27 M.Hz set to 2.4 G.Hz (I know yours is a fresh ground-up custom build) I had a glitch when powering on at Deeside and had an 'Endo' - bent the rear tower (then polished Integy) like cardboard.

If this is more for show with the odd careful blast, then miles better with the bling.

If its for a heavy use no holds barred 'custom stunt truck' then I have to agree with RPM - perhaps have an RPM set-up to one side in case you know you're 'going wild' on a certain day? !!

Hassle, but saves $$.

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, atom3624 said:

100% with Tug here.

Are they the titanium ones I've seen advertised lately?

I've had all sorts - original plastic, early Tower Hobbies option alloy ones, various Integy - finest Chinesium, and UE Kunckleheads - now on.

I purchased a pair from Billytrucks last year that are over 6 mm thick (1/4").

That spacer should hold provided you don't tighten too much - it'll fracture.

Relatively minor point anyway.

On with the build!!

Al.

Yes these are the DUH Engineering - old school Tall Titanium Towers.  They are clearly much thinner than stock - by design. 

I run all DUH stuff on my Twin Titan too ... [ but thats yet another build story ]   This Ti stuff is strong as hell.  That twin titan is cleaned up now - but Ive bashed her damn good and it all withstood a good beatin'.  I bet the owner and designer - that I could / would bend those towers in 1 bash session.  He drove down and we bashed it hard.  Needless to say I lost and owed Eric - the money for the towers and lunch w/ pints ... I was glad to lose :-).

2015-12-28_2140.png

Ok bro - for me - you win the interwebz today ... finest Chinesium - LMFAO ... Im stealing that fo sho'

Chinesium = wood chips, floor shavings, Coors lights cans, rat hair, asbestos, scorpion pea-nis, and a drop of magnesium = ALLOY

Edited by sputnik
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mond said:

I hate you. I wish I never looked at that site because now I really want that E-ghost chassis. I'm so close to putting in a pre-order.

Right on ... that looks pretty cool.  Not sure why - but that chassis didnt speak to me at $2-3k per build for some reason.  Im happy with just the 3 T Maxxes Im going for.  Magneto is by far my fav.  Little birdie tells me a Magneto V.2 is in the works with what looks like is some cool new innovations.  I want to stay focused on these three and get them very DIALED IN.   Git yer Ghost on bro!  That will be a fun truck to watch get built.

2 hours ago, mond said:

Which bulkheads did you use?

These bulks are some GPM's I first came across early in my Maxx discovery days - I liked the weight reduction cut outs and stuff - then I bead  blasted them.  They are of course Chinesium - so we'll see what becomes of them.  If they poop the sheets then - its off to GARC 7075 land ... Have rpm everything else - but towers - lol.  I have folks tell me they are el cheapo - but have never broken or stripped them.  So we shall see how the GPM's hold up.  I have the expectation they will go the hard way - so prepared for that.