• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Kraken New RC Video

Garry45

My initial 2p worth is this...

looks and performance from the video looks promissing.  The thing that concerns me is just the sheer mass this thing is likely to represent.  I understand that we live in a world where bigger is seen to be better, but when the 5ive was launched everyone was saying it was too big and heavy etc etc.  The 5ive is indeed a big heavy old truck and it gains and looses from being this.  This on the other hand is either completely over engineered and will be even more reliable than a 5ive, which is tough to do, or it will feel terrible as it will weigh half as much again as a five and nearly double the weight of a Baja.  It is in danger of feeling very slow without some serious horsepower.  

We need certain components on a fifth scale to be heavy duty and robust, but that doesn't mean that all of it needs super sizing .. I want the manufacturers to concentrate on this for me, but is this a step too far?  Colin Chapmans theory needs to be employed here....  (Google it if your unsure...)

• Like 3

My initial 2p worth is this...

looks and performance from the video looks promissing.  The thing that concerns me is just the sheer mass this thing is likely to represent.  I understand that we live in a world where bigger is seen to be better, but when the 5ive was launched everyone was saying it was too big and heavy etc etc.  The 5ive is indeed a big heavy old truck and it gains and looses from being this.  This on the other hand is either completely over engineered and will be even more reliable than a 5ive, which is tough to do, or it will feel terrible as it will weigh half as much again as a five and nearly double the weight of a Baja.  It is in danger of feeling very slow without some serious horsepower.  

We need certain components on a fifth scale to be heavy duty and robust, but that doesn't mean that all of it needs super sizing .. I want the manufacturers to concentrate on this for me, but is this a step too far?  Colin Chapmans theory needs to be employed here....  (Google it if your unsure...)

They say its 17KG and a picture next to a 5ive shows it to have the same wheelbase. The 5ive with a body and bumper is longer by a good few inches. I think I 5ive is around that 17kg mark too.

Grrr. This is next level something to make all brands ears prick up whether it sells in volumes or not it will hopfully raise the bar. It's absolutely beautiful the shocks make the 5ives look like yeah racing tamiya tt01 shocks lol. That's a crazy jump in size the 5ive shocks are huge aren't they. So these must be like kids xbike shocks.

I will never buy one because I couldn't afford it but I hope they sell like the 5ive did in its first year. See what losi do next. 

Somebody will most definitely fit a 70cc in one on youtube. 

• Like 2

Anyone else noticed this seems less popular on this forum than another notable release in the last week.

This surprises me as this looks to me like a sort of concorde moment for large scale rc (correct if I'm wrong please!). As an engineer this sort of thing fascinates me anyway but I would have expected at least as much fuss over this as the x maxx.

Meh, maybe this will pass under the radar of the general public due to the price and as such the world (imo) would be a worser place for it.

Engineering for engineerings sake is what I live for

• Like 1

Anyone else noticed this seems less popular on this forum than another notable release in the last week.

This surprises me as this looks to me like a sort of concorde moment for large scale rc (correct if I'm wrong please!). As an engineer this sort of thing fascinates me anyway but I would have expected at least as much fuss over this as the x maxx.

Meh, maybe this will pass under the radar of the general public due to the price and as such the world (imo) would be a worser place for it.

Engineering for engineerings sake is what I live for

The X-maxx has proper sized wheels.....................................................