• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Recommended first time rock crawler

fish6634

Hi All

Just wondering if someone can recommend a decent rock crawler for me?

I don't intend on doing anything other than playing about with it in the garden or the local park so it doesn't have to be a spec worthy of competing.

I quite like the look of the SCX10 but that is purely going on looks alone i am not too up on the specs of these things.

Thanks

If you want something decent, stick with axial :good:

now is it looks or ability your after?

for looks, nothing much on a decent budget comes close to the scx10

if your wanting something more for rock bashing etc. Then the wraith and ax10 ridgecrest/deadbolt may suit more.

as for rtr vs kit, do you have a set of electrics to use or are you starting from scratch?

a rtr is ready to go, you can upgrade as you go, and it's not as expensive to upgrade as you may think if you look around :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I have never done any crawling before so it will be my first experience with it.

I just want a fairly capable crawler to learn with i do like the look at the axial and vaterra crawlers. I like the looks but i would be swayed by a more capable truck than looks alone. I had a look at a maverick scout rc in my local model shop and it looked decent but half the price of the axial and vaterra crawlers so i can only assume that price difference must be for a reason.

My personal choice would be a ax10 deadbolt or something similar based on that chassis.

the scout is a good crawler for the money but in a completely in a different league to the axial ax10 deadbolt/ridgecrest.

Germany was knocking out the scx10 deadbolt for £220 all in. That's a pretty good deal sell the body if you don't like it they seem to get good prices easily cover the cost of a proline shell. 

My daughter has a dingo converted to honcho size it's brilliant I know scx10s can cost a bomb but this is the cheapest rc I've ever put together so they can be done cheap too. 

All of the elecs plus battery came up to £55 Inc radio and nothing has broken on it. I'm serously happy choosing that for her. An me. .

I'm a big fan of the Scout but if you are impatient and want something running now, that keeps running then get something else.  The Scout is a great project or a cheap way of getting a lot of parts for not much money.  As a finished product though, you get what you pay for..

I considered the Ascender and SCX10 chassis when I was looking into purchasing a scale crawler for this christmas.

The Ascender is a good bit of kit, some considering it better than a RTR Axial SCX10.

Im going for a SCX10 purely due to its tried and tested chassis with huge parts support and even bigger aftermarket.