• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

2stroke oil which is best

jayc

HI so after tossing and turning about weather or not to get a 1/5th petrol I've finally bought one. But now I have the seemly endless choice of oil. But which is best I have decided to run 25-1 for now at least. But which is best and what's the difference lol. I know not to go near the cheap crap. But there's still loads of apparently good 2T oil. To play it safe I have gone with some castrol 2stroke racing motorbike oil as this was the only branded stuff I could get at short notice.

Thanks in advance

Jay

ive used castrol power 1 racing in a few of my engines, still use it now, cheap and available off the shelf in most 'car shops', never had a problem, castrol a747 and putoline mx5 is another popular choice, dont mix oils, and 25:1 is the generally accepted oil to fuel ratio

this is a good place to look:

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/17229-fuel-and-oil-ratio-guide/

• Like 1

I've used Putoline mx5 in my Baja 5bss from new and it's done around 10 tanks now and runs smooth as silk. Regardless of which oil you end up choosing, make sure when you tune your engine, not to run it too lean especially on the high speed needle as none of the oils would stop the piston from seizing in that situation

Edited by coolas4k

Thanks guys just put the truck in to the my local shop to get the carb rebuilt going to stick with the Castrol untill its gone then going to look at the putoline seems a good choice.

• 4 weeks later...

I've used only 2 types of oils MX5 and motul 800, when rebuilds are due I now go off time the engines been run.

I've run my engines for up to 30 hrs with no leaking oil seals and bearing that are perfectly fine, and most important a ring that only half worn this was on MX5 oil half worn ring 0.24 so just a tad under half worn.

I switched oils to ML800 when I replaced the head and fresh rebuild I upgraded to a 30.5 from 29.5 and was shocked at the condition of my ring and bearings, although the seals was fine I only use Vitron seals.

On this ML800 my ring was almost worn out .43 if I recall and my team fast Eddie ceramics was shot IE no good, all in a shocking time of just 19 hrs and based off my own personal info I no the MX5 will do many more than 40hrs before a ring is due a change, estimated at 60 hrs VS ML800 at 19hrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've used only 2 types of oils MX5 and motul 800, when rebuilds are due I now go off time the engines been run.

I've run my engines for up to 30 hrs with no leaking oil seals and bearing that are perfectly fine, and most important a ring that only half worn this was on MX5 oil half worn ring 0.24 so just a tad under half worn.

I switched oils to ML800 when I replaced the head and fresh rebuild I upgraded to a 30.5 from 29.5 and was shocked at the condition of my ring and bearings, although the seals was fine I only use Vitron seals.

On this ML800 my ring was almost worn out .43 if I recall and my team fast Eddie ceramics was shot IE no good, all in a shocking time of just 19 hrs and based off my own personal info I no the MX5 will do many more than 40hrs before a ring is due a change, estimated at 60 hrs VS ML800 at 19hrs.

Cheers for that I will bear this in mind it's only done about 2hours run in time. The Baja came with a spare head piston and ring so will use that once mine does eventually go pop lol. Are the 30,5cc 4bolt conversion kits easy to put in to my 23cc engine as this might be the next purchase for the engine once I've killed both heads lol

Cheers for that I will bear this in mind it's only done about 2hours run in time. The Baja came with a spare head piston and ring so will use that once mine does eventually go pop lol. Are the 30,5cc 4bolt conversion kits easy to put in to my 23cc engine as this might be the next purchase for the engine once I've killed both heads lol

Hope you'd need a 4 bolt bottom end :) unless yours is a 4 bolt then yep easy.

Edited by Titaniumrc

I think they changed them to a 4 bolt

in that case you would have to split the case an put a stroker crank in an while you at it new seals and bearing would be advised.

Not a hard task tho tbf..;)

Yeah it's a 4bolt don't know why but it sure is lol. I bought a 29cc for my brother in law last week from rc modelz and to be hounest mine is faster anyway lol both stock tuning both fully ran in using same fuel and a brand new ngk spark plug and he can't catch me we swapped to make sure he wasn't been a girl driving it and I couldn't catch him when he ha mine lol 23cc all the way I think now? Does any one now why it's fast I know it revs higher but surely the torque should make up for it in the 29cc?