• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HoBao 1/8 Hyper MTe Sport

mydoddy69

These are now on at Modelsport for £399 on special offer for the new Hyper MT sport plus Electric version rtr but blue only !! 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobao-hyper-mt-sport-plus-electric-monster-truck-rtr-blue/rc-car-products/403960

Thats £160 off retail price !!

Sadly CML have the roller at £335 :( but it makes this a right steal IMO :) 

Are these worthy of buying over say the outcast/other arrma trucks?

A good friend of mine has been out with me a few times and wants a truck he can bash, crash and use on allsorts of terrain. £399 is a lot of monies so I don't want to advise him only for him to be disappointed:lol:

23 minutes ago, bombercountynick said:

A good friend of mine has been out with me a few times and wants a truck he can bash, crash and use on allsorts of terrain. £399 is a lot of monies so I don't want to advise him only for him to be disappointed:lol:

Lucky enough I have both this and the outcast 

I really love the Hyper MT it's a blast to drive plenty of power and mine has been as  tough as old boots, it has a few quirks need ironing out but then agian so do the Arrmas, parts support is about the same on both but the edge going to the Hyper IMO 

This will do what the Outcast can but it's a little harder to pull off and in air control will always go the Outcast way with its centre diff. If I had to have one I'd have the Hyper but it would be a tough call, but then agian mine isn't stock anymore,  it's been a loyal friend in my fleet whereas the Outcast is at the minute the new boy so yet to prove itself. 

The Hyper MT will happily run on 4s and has plenty of power but the Outcast really needs 6s to perform to its best abilities IMO so I'd factor in the cost of lipos to his budget if i was you 

If he goes the outacst route look on eBay they where there from Germany for £419 plus postage the other day which isn't much more than these 

Both are fun both are tough and he won't go wrong with either IMO so it just down to what he likes the look of best ;) 

• Like 2

Just doing some digging on the MT Plus and came across a vid from our antipodean friend... it was one of those workshop / mod vids, and he ending up replacing half the truck, not sure how much of it was absolutely necessary as I only scanned through it, but it was a lot of bits...!

3 hours ago, bertberr said:

Just doing some digging on the MT Plus and came across a vid from our antipodean friend... it was one of those workshop / mod vids, and he ending up replacing half the truck, not sure how much of it was absolutely necessary as I only scanned through it, but it was a lot of bits...!

Lol yep I saw it and from what he replaced I'm not sure all is needed I would do the brace, wheelie bar and slipper unit I have the cvds myself but the old ones are not a massive issue the new ones do require the cups to be replaced when swapping over to the new cvds though .. 

total cost should be around £50 and then it will be pretty bulletproof for most, so it sounds a lot but its not really. Unless you want those cvds then it goes up quite a bit 

The Outcast I'm still toying with but there are a few areas I'd like too improve mainly on the chassis bracing and servo mount but that's not a cheap fix either so I'll scratch my head a little longer and see what I can come up with on the cheap ;) 

On 12/16/2016 at 19:47, bombercountynick said:

Tell him to buy one, I love mine, and as Doddy mentions they only need a few bits to be pretty bomb proof.  Mine is currently laid up still, as with everything thats happening at home i've not got round to sorting the new cvd's and cups yet.

On 01/06/2016 at 21:55, mydoddy69 said:

Any of you guys want a better turning radius well follow this ;) the stock radius is about 8ft this little mod makes it half  that :) 

Start buy removing the Rx/servo box, I use a rubber band to hold it out the way 

7C83A8E5-EDCB-4EA2-B987-FC680A120207_zps

now remove the steering plate and unscrew the steering links 

0BEC465B-266E-45DF-8EEC-7C1628A1A347_zps

Now to make life easy I have put a brass bar in so you can see what it is we are going to change this needs removing, just unscrew the 2 steering link screws and lift out the complete system. There are 2 silver collets with 1.5 mm grub screws your need to undo and then remove the bar (yours will be silver) . 

EFC7071F-C868-4DF4-96D3-B8F2634E3255_zps

Now this is where it gets tricky your need a bit of 3mm rod not hollow as it needs some strength I had a bit if s/steel sitting around and went with that.. You need to make a new bar slightly bigger than the one you removed. I used a vise and hammer and a ring spanner to bend the bar. You need it to be 44mm from inner bar to inner bar like this 

27FEE97C-902D-4DBC-B6DC-CDF2FD8AC347_zps

Now depending on what links and rod ends your using you may need to file some of the diff housing.  I used a dremel to remove about 2mm , don't go mad tho as you end up wrecking the housing you just want enough so the steering arm can touch the diff housing when on full lock 

291E5B1B-9A75-4EE1-AD9C-F6F2338B8C11_zps

Now just put it all back together ;) the steering will be out of line so it will look like this 

EAAAF084-5203-46EB-81E4-EC02B55E9F9A_zps

just adjust your links and servo arm etc to your liking and job done ;) 

Bit of a faff but well worth the effort !! Has to be the best mod to date really happy with this one :) 

I've just done this mod to mine I only went with an extra 2mm (43mm) to save having to dremel the diff case, just waiting on a servo to drop through the letterbox so I can set it up
Cheers for the info Geeza ``o=o¬

26 minutes ago, GazCle said:

I've just done this mod to mine I only went with an extra 2mm (43mm) to save having to dremel the diff case, just waiting on a servo to drop through the letterbox so I can set it up
Cheers for the info Geeza ``o=o¬

Welcome to the forum 

Your more than welcome fella it's always nice to share ;) even better when guys appreciate it so thanks to you too ;) 

• Like 1

Hi folks,

Which 2S lipos are you using with this truck?

I was looking at turnigy/zippy's around 6000mah 30c. would these be enough around for 20 mins+ of light bashing?, im wondering wether 30c will be enough as im going up 1 tooth on the pinion, other than that it will be stock on 4S. ( i know from my helis the C rating on most of these can be hit or miss)

Other than re-thread locking everything, would you recommend doing anything else before running?, diff oil etc?

1 hour ago, 330D said:

Hi folks,

I was looking at turnigy/zippy's around 6000mah 30c. would these be enough around for 20 mins+ of light bashing?, im wondering wether 30c will be enough as im going up 1 tooth on the pinion, other than that it will be stock on 4S. ( i know from my helis the C rating on most of these can be hit or miss)

Other than re-thread locking everything, would you recommend doing anything else before running?, diff oil etc?

Diffs are fine on factory grease to be honest, you could oil them when you strip for maintenance if you wanted (or regrease).  Go easy on the threadlock on the output cups of the diffs, as they 'bed in' with use and can be a pig to get out (though will happily fall out stock when new).

6000mah should give you that sort of runtime, though personally found 4S on the stock set up a little tame, so i'd be driving WOT a lot more, impacting run times - never tried up one tooth with the stock set up, but would imagine it'll be a bit quicker.  30c at 6000mah is 180a draw, so should be fine, of course higher is always better.

1 hour ago, 330D said:

Hi folks,

Make sure your wires are well strapped out the way of the spur and pinion ! Other than that go have some fun ;) 

3 hours ago, capri-boy said:

Diffs are fine on factory grease to be honest, you could oil them when you strip for maintenance if you wanted (or regrease).  Go easy on the threadlock on the output cups of the diffs, as they 'bed in' with use and can be a pig to get out (though will happily fall out stock when new).

6000mah should give you that sort of runtime, though personally found 4S on the stock set up a little tame, so i'd be driving WOT a lot more, impacting run times - never tried up one tooth with the stock set up, but would imagine it'll be a bit quicker.  30c at 6000mah is 180a draw, so should be fine, of course higher is always better.

Thanks for the info guys. I had looked into the 6s option but do these trucks really hold up on 6s without falling apart?

Just now, 330D said:

Thanks for the info guys. I had looked into the 6s option but do these trucks really hold up on 6s without falling apart?

I found 6s and 2000kv a little too aggressive, but from what I see no one is having drivetrain issues from doing so (other than the stock spur).  On my truggy's using the same 2000kv set up 5S is the sweet spot for me, alas i've not managed to find good matching 2S and 3S packs affordably to try in the MTe to try it there (truggy uses 5s bricks).  Rich has run his a lot more than me so may have a different perspective.

Yep I run mine on 5s with a 2s and 3s tried 6s it's bonkers lol but that said you can gear it way down, on 5s I run a 18-20t pinion on 4s 20-22t but if you have 6s you can go 16t and as lol as 14t so there's a ton of options .. 

So does it hold up well to 6s well if you add the brace and the slipper unit then the answer is yes but even on 4s the stock spur isn't great out the box so I'd look at that as a first upgrade and maybe and the brace .. if you want you can get just the cnc spur which is fine and a little cheaper but just as strong but obviously your loose the slipper action if you go that route. 

18 hours ago, mydoddy69 said:

Yep I run mine on 5s with a 2s and 3s tried 6s it's bonkers lol but that said you can gear it way down, on 5s I run a 18-20t pinion on 4s 20-22t but if you have 6s you can go 16t and as lol as 14t so there's a ton of options .. 

So does it hold up well to 6s well if you add the brace and the slipper unit then the answer is yes but even on 4s the stock spur isn't great out the box so I'd look at that as a first upgrade and maybe and the brace .. if you want you can get just the cnc spur which is fine and a little cheaper but just as strong but obviously your loose the slipper action if you go that route. 

5S sounds like a good option guys. I had looked at a 5s arrma kraton before this but parts on the v2 are still limited. Its a shame more manufacturers dont go with the single lipo design on 1/8th trucks.

Which 2s/3s lipos do you run?

18 hours ago, mydoddy69 said:

25 minutes ago, 330D said:

5S sounds like a good option guys. I had looked at a 5s arrma kraton before this but parts on the v2 are still limited. Its a shame more manufacturers dont go with the single lipo design on 1/8th trucks.

Which 2s/3s lipos do you run?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-5000mah-2s-45-90c-lipo-pack.html

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-5000mah-3s-45-90c-lipo-pack.html

Although they where a fair but cheaper when I ordered them 

3 hours ago, mydoddy69 said:

I'd prob go with the Zippy 5800 atm:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-flightmax-5800mah-2s1p-30c.html

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-flightmax-5800mah-3s1p-30c.html

I'd just stop a fraction early so it don't drain them too low. Never had a flightmax fail stopping at a resting volt of 3.7v/cell.

Still they're 174A constant output so should be sweet ;)

Me I'd go all out 6s and drop a lower kv in it ie: 1700-1800kv :D

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dazp1976 said:

Are the dogbone pins etc replaceable on these?

I've got a tool but turned out the HPI isn't doable. 

Yeah i replaced all mine the stock ones have a habit of working loose. wether there actually meant to be replaced i have no idea though ..

The pins on the upgraded cvds are much better and don't need replacing 

45 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

Yeah i replaced all mine the stock ones have a habit of working loose. wether there actually meant to be replaced i have no idea though ..

The pins on the upgraded cvds are much better and don't need replacing 

Cool. Just waiting on a bit more £ and may bite the bullet.

I'll prob try the pins with something softer which will save the cups and save £'s

Cheapskate :lol: