• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Axial Yeti owners thread

philbr

Does the axial steel spur come with replacement slipper pads? I doubt it, so does that mean you need to also order them, as I take it you can't reuse the ones on the plastic spur!?

No they don't. But you can use a hair dryer to remove the one on the stock spur. Just do it carefully.

Also, I'd not bother with the axial offering - spend a touch more and get the Robinson kit as I did. I used the axial one and wasn't impressed.

No they don't. But you can use a hair dryer to remove the one on the stock spur. Just do it carefully.

Also, I'd not bother with the axial offering - spend a touch more and get the Robinson kit as I did. I used the axial one and wasn't impressed.

Wait, do the slipper pads have a peely off bit? Or am i missing something?

You referring to the spur I take it? What didn't you like about the axial one?

Really! I thought that was just an issue with the plastic oe spur! Not good QC!!

I've already ordered one now, but if its not true it'll be going back! What is it with Axial and wobble? You'd have thought with a name like Axial that certainly wouldn't be an issue :( If they truly want to do well in the 'speed' market they need to address these off balance issues!!

• 3 weeks later...

Generally they are very resistant to accident damage. They do however seem prone to unexplainable damage, bent drive shafts etc. I've somehow ended up with a wobbly rear (buckled) wheel whilst crawling up and down the kerb at around 2mph?! :o

I'm thinking of possibly trying strc pressed steel alternatives...

Do the threads still feel strong and tight in the axles where the lockouts mount to?

That can be somewhat problematic on axials, had it a few times on 2nd hand trucks, now all I use is beef toons, it gives a metal threaded clamp for the rear lockout over a few mm of plastic.....

I'm thinking the next upgrade for me will be a rear axle in ally from asiatees, always been a bit concerned about the fixings on the lockouts being plastic and as I do have a tendancy to strip out plastic threads I'm thinking it may be a good option!

Do the threads still feel strong and tight in the axles where the lockouts mount to?

That can be somewhat problematic on axials, had it a few times on 2nd hand trucks, now all I use is beef toons, it gives a metal threaded clamp for the rear lockout over a few mm of plastic.....

Yes, they do, but as yourself and Shaun say, it's a bit of a weakness to say the least! I had been fancying the SSD diamond head axle, being one piece and not requiring lockouts nor wider rear hubs, as well as centred. However, it seems to have a major design fault, in that the front face of the pumpkin is squared off and a huge snagging point on the rocks etc. It could possibly be dremelled off, but I couldn't spend that kind of money only to have a hack at it! :o

Not cost a load to make that axle bombproof, all these fancy axles are just for aesthetics anyway.......

Some of banners beef tubes, lockouts and all link mounts from Asia tees and there you go, only real bling I have is a ballistic fabrications diff cover not that it's needed :good:

My only real concerns with the beef tubes I've seen is that they're not concentric to the axle?! Surly that creates huge amounts of vibration, and on the yeti running 3s at speed..!! Maybe I'm wrong or been looking at the wrong thing? They would be my choice if only for the above..;)

My bad, as they say! After looking properly at a few YT clips, the Beef tubes don't actually rotate with the drive shaft, doh! I'd have sworn the ones I've seen before grub screwed to the drive shafts?! Hence my concern, lol.

How much are they banners? ;)

• 1 month later...

Back from the grave, we'll most of it! :rain:

I'm about to wire up my own LED looms, can someone confirm if you're wiring the leds up in parallel can you just use one resistor for the lot? If so, how do you calculate the resistor value- add the amp per led?

Just thought it'd make a neater job if possible...;)

I did parallel for both mine for max brightness.

To figure out resistance you need to know the forward voltage of your LEDS plus the voltage powering them Forward voltage is different for different colours. There's plenty of info about it out there - it didn't take me too long to research it and understand it.

Edited by Zombi

A good rule of thumb though, the amp draw for standard LEDs will be about 20mA. 

And for forward voltage, red yellow and orange are around 2v, the rest are 3v.

You also need to take into account the voltage you're sending to the LEDs. I made a small table for myself in XLS, I'll try and post it here. I might have already posted in my Mud Pig build thread though. I forget!

[Sorry, there is a problem

The page you are trying to access is not available for your account.

Error code: 2C171/1]

That's a new one! I guess the forum server (laptop :lol:) is still in critical care?

That aside, do you have a link to the eBay seller you had your leds from? What was the advantage of the flat-tops?