• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Helion Volition

Hello chaps,

I bought myself a Helion Volition after the review in this months RRCI magazine and I'd like to improve it a bit if I can. The standard shocks are not the best so any pointers as to what I can use to replace them would be great.

Has anybody on the forum modified anything else on one of these?

Any hints and tips will be greatly appreciated.

0cfeae39-a014-462e-86ad-ea1a4ae11f3d.jpg

See if there is a up rated front chassis brace, as after a tangle with my lads slash (brushed 2wd) it snapped it almost in half.

Some turnbuckles would be a good shout too instead of the plastic links......

Turnbuckles and captive (traxxas) rod ends as once they pop out once they'll keep doing it more and more. Mine had shocks uprated when I bought it from the sales forum but not sure which ones were on it. Handling was pretty damn good though, better than the slash out the box. I'd be tempted to lower the gearing a tad however because I think they feared it a little tall for the motor in order to get that 30mph figure to put on the box.

Throw a 2s in it, and drive the snot out of it.

Yes I snapped the upper bulkhead, after hitting the car, Gaz's lad was driving.

But I was flat out, and hit him in a full on t bone crash.

The upper and lower bulkhead cost

Edited by bigoggy

• 4 weeks later...

Hello chaps, I bought myself a Helion Volition after the review in this months RRCI magazine and I'd like to improve it a bit if I can. The standard shocks are not the best so any pointers as to what I can use to replace them would be great. Has anybody on the forum modified anything else on one of these? Any hints and tips will be greatly appreciated.0cfeae39-a014-462e-86ad-ea1a4ae11f3d.jpg

Thinking about getting one of these, any feedback on the model.

It is absolutely brilliant! I've put many miles on this thing and until yesterday all was fine. I took it for a bash at my local park, it handled jump after jump with no dramas until I hit a tree at quite some speed and snapped a rear upright. Surprisingly little damage given the speed I was doing at the time!

Only thing I'd suggest is upgrading the standard shocks as they are a bit spongey. I used Absima on mine as they don't break the bank but have worked great on my fleet of Tamiya's.

Go buy one matey  :thumbsup:

It is absolutely brilliant! I've put many miles on this thing and until yesterday all was fine. I took it for a bash at my local park, it handled jump after jump with no dramas until I hit a tree at quite some speed and snapped a rear upright. Surprisingly little damage given the speed I was doing at the time!

Only thing I'd suggest is upgrading the standard shocks as they are a bit spongey. I used Absima on mine as they don't break the bank but have worked great on my fleet of Tamiya's.

Go buy one matey  :thumbsup:

Thank you for the feedback, also looking to drop in a HK cheap brushless system, hope it will take, anyway down to my local rc store and get the sct tomorrow.

• Like 2

What was your preference over the Slash ??.

Better handling, didn't grip roll, it was faster, torquier, larger, the stock tyres actually gripper, it was nicer to work on, and more fun.

On the flip side the slash had a far better servo, shocks and parts availability.

• 1 year later...

Freeprawn Racing carry Helion spares.

Re spur gears, only way is to find one from another manufacturer that would be a direct fit onto the Helion mounting. Same for pads, there may be someone else's that is the same shape.

Pics would help members point in the right direction.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, can I join in I've just got a Volition, as a newbie, I found this thread great, can anyone tell me should I put WD40 high performance Silicone Lubricant on the cups on the wheels, or or the servo on any car before running it, also bought Silicone grease and where can I get this months   RRCI magazine I've googled it but no joy I'd like to read about the volition - sorry if these are simple questions - but help would be appreciated

GT85 is good, and also pricey, unless you check out the bulk deals on eBay....the price per can drops considerably the more you buy, I got a 12 can deal which equated to just over £2 a can....

Don't use it on electrical components, ever. Spray over plastics, metal turnbuckles etc (avoiding threads), then wipe off the excess. This then leaves a nice, PTFE coating which is more dirt resistant and makes cleaning easier, reapply after cleaning/as required.

If the servo isn't waterproof, you can open it up and pack marine grease around the gears, however, a decent waterproof servo can be had for around a tenner so better to swap, IMO.

• Like 1