• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

OHO's oh no not again?!

Oh How Original

Tbh, it's not performing how it should, so I wouldn't let it put you off it.

It's just a niggle that needs ironing out with this particular engine.

After speaking with some others, who are running identical set ups (hadn't spoken to anyone who running the BZM pipe before) it seems it's something with this particular engine.

One thing I did notice, when I put the engine in, is the otherside of the crankcase has been sanded (nont by me) in certain places.

I just wondered if anyone else has noticed the same thing?

Their was only a couple of pretty small bits done, about 2cm squares, but I thought it was a bit odd :/

I tried that Paul, I did both the shoes and inside the bell bud, it didn't seem to help really.

I've checked the wear though and it's more even and precise now the clutch plates are turned around though, so that's something.

It's definitely better on the 8k over the 5k anyway.

I just wish it had the bottom end insanity that everyone says it does lol.

Been looking at 4 shoe clutches as well.

I tried that Paul, I did both the shoes and inside the bell bud, it didn't seem to help really.

I've checked the wear though and it's more even and precise now the clutch plates are turned around though, so that's something.

It's definitely better on the 8k over the 5k anyway.

I just wish it had the bottom end insanity that everyone says it does lol.

Been looking at 4 shoe clutches as well.

the "powerband" will change depending on what pipe you use, but if you want lowdown power you will sacrifice you top-end, also tuning will only make your symptoms worse as the powerband will decrease,possibly you expectations are to high?

the "powerband" will change depending on what pipe you use, but if you want lowdown power you will sacrifice you top-end, also tuning will only make your symptoms worse as the powerband will decrease,possibly you expectations are to high?

Well considering theirs a lad using one with the same pipe, same tyres and 19/55 and he can slide the back end out whenever he wants on dry grass lol.

I'm on wet mud/grass with 17/57 gearing and I can't get the back end out at all.

To be honest I didn't expect a huge amount from it, but I did expect it to be at least fun lol.

Well considering theirs a lad using one with the same pipe, same tyres and 19/55 and he can slide the back end out whenever he wants on dry grass lol.

I'm on wet mud/grass with 17/57 gearing and I can't get the back end out at all.

To be honest I didn't expect a huge amount from it, but I did expect it to be at least fun lol.

any standard km baja will do that, (mine will) so what kind of gain are you chasing? Edited by sean-vrs

any standard km baja will do that, (mine will) so what kind of gain are you chasing?

I wanted a bit more top end to begin with.

The KM engine just wasn't strong enough to pull the gearing, so I bought the 32.

I want both, which others seem to have achieved simply by dumping the engine in.

Of course with me, nothing is just simple and easy.

Not run it again yet Jim, my RCs have been stored in the front room for an undetermined amount of time.

Hence not been on the forum either.

Not putting anymore money into it, same with the other RCs, if they break, it's tough, they get stored until who knows when if I don't already have the parts to fix them.

The Baja actually runs fine, theirs nothing 'wrong' with it as such, it's just not as bitey as I'd hoped.

Can't be anything wrong with it though the way it pulls like a train and it sits and idles fine, the top end is good etc...

Edited by Oh How Original

• 1 month later...

Well I had the Baja out for the first time in ages today.. Well, we took them out the other day but my friends wheel wouldn't stay on and my pullstart broke so we didn't actually get a chance to run them.

Anyway, had them out today in one of his fields for a blast.

I decided to try re-tuning the carb to see if I could get a bit more from the bottom end and well... She likes to wheelie.

Must have been just running a tad rich but my Castrol oil wasn't showing it (no blue smoke) but after using this new Putoline stuff, it smoked like hell, so I decided to give it a go and it worked a treat.

Certainly nothing wrong with the engine anyway, it runs as sweet as a nut.

• Like 1

To be honest it seems quicker now? Certainly faster than on the previous videos I posted, both on acceleration (when it keeps the front wheels down) and on top end.

So it must just really prefer running on this Putoline oil compared to the Castrol stuff.

I really didn't expect it to be faster though lol.

Some really nice natural jumps in the field we used as well, didn't half get some hang time :D

Thought you'd gave up with it, bet you glad you didn't now. Lol

this is the perfect weather for mx tyres.

btw what castrol oil was it?

Thought you'd gave up with it, bet you glad you didn't now. Lol

this is the perfect weather for mx tyres.

btw what castrol oil was it?

Hadn't given up with the Baja as such, I gave up with RC, couldn't be bothered, had several people wanting to buy the Baja but I have no intentions of selling it.

I rather stupidly sold my Losi 8ight-Te as well, which I'm now regretting now I've seen the field my friends letting us use.

And I always run MX pretty much, apart from the very rare occasions I'm on gravel then my Dirt Busters go on.

The oil was Castrol Racing 2T.

I can't really knock it because it's run okay up until slapping the 32 in, which just seems to prefer this Putoline stuff I've switched to.

Good to know about the oil, my mate has a pro mx32 running on castrol he's not that impressed with I'll pass this on thanks....;)

I've always run putoline oil, Ive found it to be good stuff when had my cr125 & kx250 so always

stuck to it. I use the MX7 tho

• 2 weeks later...

Had the badgers out for another blast today, this engines just getting better and better with this oil, it's like a completely new Baja.

When she finally stops doing donuts, you flick the steering to go straight and she's straight up and over (on 19/55) which I think is pretty good.

Definitely mid to high 50's on top end as well.

Ran it today on a different patch towards the end of our run as well and got to say, it'll be my last time running on this kind of straw surface, absolute hell!

Killed 6 bearings in all and it's took me all night to get all the grass from round the engine, hubs, knuckles etc...

Never again :lol: (until next time)

20150205_153225_zps12dadc92.jpg

IMG-20150205-WA0004_zpsf7abcc22.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...