• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas Slash Pro 2 OBA 2WD SC truck

-BEZ-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5-zSb_isRE

New from Traxxas is the new OBA system, we now no longer have to chase our cars making brum brum noises while we wonder what it was about electric rcs which is lacking from the tone of a nitro engine.  

Ok so joking aside, this is going to have a pretty interesting application for scalers, I can imagine some of the scaler guys adding that extra bit of realism to their projects, I know this will be a hit for younger kids just getting into the hobby ...... now all i have to do is make sure my son doesn't find out them xD.

And now some words from the guys at Traxxas:

Grab the throttle and the On-Board Audio System roars to life, projecting the actual engine sounds from a 900+ horsepower Pro 4X4 short course truck. Prepare to experience the beat of every piston stroke, feel the gear shifts under acceleration, and hear the horsepower as the RPM's scream through the power band. Bash it, crash it, and get it wet. No need to hold back...the sound system is just as rugged as the Slash itself. Flip the rocker switch on the supplied 3-channel TQ 2.4 GHz transmitter to put the truck in neutral to rev up the engine. The precision audio and throttle response connects you to the truck for a whole new driving experience. Traxxas On-Board Audio is the exciting new dimension in Radio Controlled fun!

58034-2-Top-Chassis_o.jpgThe award-winning Traxxas Slash Short-Course Race Truck puts you in the drivers seat for intense fender-to-fender, high-flying off-road action. The full-scale Short-Course Race Trucks embody the spirit of Traxxas R/C with their extreme 900+ horsepower racing engines full-throttle, dirt-roosting power slides, giant suspension travel, and Supercross-style big-air jumps. The Traxxas Slash brings all the action home so you can experience the high-speed head-to-head competition at the track or in your own backyard. The Slash was inspired by the TORC (The Off-Road Championship) Pro 2WD class. The Pro 2WD class specifies rear-wheel drive trucks purpose built to fly over jumps and rip full-throttle through the turns. The Traxxas Slash hangs it out for an all new way to challenge your driving skills. The 4-wheel independent suspension has been carefully tuned to replicate the Pro 2 driving and handling experience as closely as possible. The scale appearing tires provide just the right amount of bite and thick, blinding clouds of dirt roost.

gallery_17530_8_104826.jpg

Off-Road Anywhere

When the racing action cools down, the Traxxas Slash is well-equipped to tackle all of your off-track driving adventures. The long travel suspension and oil-filled shocks easily absorb jumps and rough terrain. The unique chassis design provides huge center ground clearance to drive over deep ruts, rocks, and other obstacles that leave ordinary R/C trucks stuck. The tires use advanced tread design and sophisticated rubber compounds to provide incredible grip off-road with enough versatility to also perform well on concrete and asphalt. The fenders cover the tires so you bang against your driving buddies without getting tangled up.

The Revo-spec Torque-Control

Assuming it can be switched on and off, depending on time and environment, this covers the main difference between IC engined vehicles and electric 'milk float' ones, within limits.

I know my lad would LOVE something like this.

Waiting for confirmation, but I think they will make it a 'Traxxas own equipment' item - add to Traxxas? Perhaps not.

Needs to have sound options.

Decent animation of Monster Trucks would be pretty "Ossum", as they say.

Al.

Turning it on and off should just mean using the aux channel, so my DX3S should work. Then it just needs to pick up on the throttle inputs, if Traxxas lock out other brands of radio gear they'll be throwing money etc.

As I've previously said, I'm only interested in using one for FPV filming, but even that is price dependent.

Wonder who will review it first, and see if it works with other Tx gear?? I do like the concept, amazed they can get so much sound from an all in one unit with no external speaker??

Wonder who will review it first, and see if it works with other Tx gear?? I do like the concept, amazed they can get so much sound from an all in one unit with no external speaker??

Im sure it has separate speakers in the roof of the bodyshell.

I think it's called overdubbing........

'actual onboard audio' .... with a mic right next to the speaker, re-dubbed back over the footage.

Funny how the motor sound is so clear, and yet there is no sound from the motor whining, the tyres spinning and spitting dirt etc. All you hear is the motor. And always revving up.

What does it sound like on continuous throttle?

I want to hear an actual non-Traxxas recording of one of these, with all the other sounds present and no music soundtrack.......

• Like 3

If only you people will Think for a minute.

Perhaps the patronisation was lost in translation??

No one has claimed it isn't overdubbed in the video! Doesn't mean a discussion as to its relative values and merits (albeit marginally speculative) can't be had ;)

The sound that comes out of "small" speakers can be made to sound very good, depending on the type of enclosure its fitted into, if its a good quality unit with a well desighned enclosure it should sound pretty good, youve obviously never heard a tamiya tank with a small speaker ?? They sound great and with plenty of depth, its all about the enclosure, one thing i will say about the yanks and thats they do know how to make very good quality speakers.

You cannot beat the sound of an ic engine, period.  As second best I actually like the sound of good electric combo :)  Should I get an EV next time I do not want one with projected audio, unless said audio is The USS Enterprise engaging warp drive.

• Like 1

So that's the end of that then, Don't anybody, Ever, Say that someone else's car is "Toy Grade".

Maybe, They could have a button on the top, And then a hole in the box with " Push me, To hear real V8 engine like sound", What a joke.

Edited by babylon

For a speaker small enough and energy efficient enough there would be no real bass. That is the problem. 

Play a video with a car on your phone, and you will see how 'toy-ish' the engine sound sounds, with no bass. If you play the same vid on something with a bass speaker it will sound great. Otherwise, get an IC engine.

I/C engines have no bass either ;)

Traxxas love gimmicks, yanks love gimmicks, ergo muchos dollar in bank, accountants happy, board happy, email to R&D announcing bonus and welcoming creation of the next gimmick....ad infinitum ;)

• Like 1

I rekon it will be loud and deep enough to sound pretty good, i read on rc car action that only the sound unit mounts to the chassis and the sound its self comes from 2 speakers mounted in the body, if you watch the vid closely you can see the body vibrating with air movement lol.

It is very much a gimmick but it makes me smile when i watch the vid, thats what rc is about isnt it.

My tamiya hilux with mfu fitted got every single one of my mates attention when they come round to visit, even those not intrested in rc thought it was cool but most the important point is, it made them smile.

• Like 1

I think in principal, it's a great idea, not many manufacturers make sound units for rc so could be a winner.....

My biggest concern is the speakers in the body, with the amount of time mine spends sliding on its roof, speakers ain't gonna last long unless there enclosed in granite...

Might have one if they are compatible with other brands of radio though.....