• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tiny racer

jp79er

Me and the Mrs, have decided to get my boy a little RC off road RC car, he is coming pu to 4, but he drives mine (with assistance) and he loves it...

So want to get him a good strong racer that would happily go over short grass.

Any recommendations for a good little 1/18 or even 1/24 scale RTR?

Was thinking a Losi 1//24 Short Course....

What's your budget on this ... and do you have an existing battery charger setup that you can use?

Personally... I would get him one just like his dads ... only with a brushed motor rather than brushless. Pop in a 27T brushed setup, and it will be nice and controllable, as well as being cheap to upgrade when he's ready for a bit more.

Simplifies spares if it's using the same parts, and also doesn't make his feel like a toy...as it looks just like Dad's one.

If he gets bored and loses interest....then yo ugot a spare car :)

• Like 2

I think if you are going smaller scale you need to stick with a monster truck type, a buggy will simply struggle in anything but the shortest of short grass. Specs say it has 16mm ground clearance...

Btw, I think getting the same car as yours (or the RTR ftx vantage) (as mentioned by Mr Holic) is the best idea but I understand spending money on something your son might go off of next week can feel like a gamble lol...my son hardly uses his buggy and he's 11. He'd rather be on the ipad or play with Lego.

Buy the wife some flowers, chocolate and a nice bottle of wine. When she has eaten the lovely meal you prepared for her, smelt the flowers, tucked into the choccies and had half a bottle, point out the forthcoming Xmas sadness:

your measly

• Like 1

Failing ^^^this^^^ take responsibility for the purchasing of the rc, get the vantage and tell wifey the modelshop had a great deal and you can't find the receipt (after you have hidden the said receipt so well fred west style that only you and archaeologists will be able to find it).

Edited by optimus
  • Like 1

I'd look into a brushed Traxxas 1:16 Rally, more 1:12 scale if you measure it up and shares a common chassis with the MERV, Slash etc, I love mine, bombproof drive train and robust chassis and with brushless fitted, mental car, Traxxas ain't cheap but the build quality is superb :)

SWMBO is missing a vital point, 50 quid buys nothing of any durability or use. Perhaps he could put any other monies received for Xmas to the 50 quid and buy something better, or, is there a grandparent/aunt/uncle that could contribute towards something better?

Or, grow a pair, do the right thing by the young 'un and stand firm about not shopping?