• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Dumb drivers (or roundabout idiots)

johninderby

Similar situation a few years ago in Watford Gap (North side) services, just pulled in, walking to the 'refreshment centre' when I witnessed a chap in a transit, towing an Ifor Williams car trailer, turn into the car park (mounting the kerb as he did so, being far too wide), then turn right, hooking the trailer up against the bumper of a Volvo V70. Tranny man had to stop, as he'd dragged the Volvo a foot or so and couldn't move any further. Matey boy hops out of van passenger door, walks down to Volvo, has a look, walks back to van, speaks to driver, then walk back to Volvo, gesticulating at the van driver 'left a bit., right a bit' until the trailer is released from the Volvo.

So, we would assume that, having been there a good few minutes, with crowds of onlookers, van man would go leave his details on the Volvo?? Nope, passenger got back in, van then proceeded out of the car park at a great rate of knots, bouncing the trailer over the exit kerbs as they go.

Noj, being a good sort, takes reg of van and goes to leave a note on Volvo windscreen with his details on, when the owner of said Volvo arrives and we have a chat..

Long story short, over 3k's worth of damage to Volvo, I give written statements to both insurers and Police, am then called as a witness in court (in Northampton) as the van driver claims 'he had no knowledge of the incident ever happening'. Attend court, van driver wants a delay as he has no Solicitor present (apparently, owing to unpaid legal bills, no Solicitor will represent him), I say I'd be happy to return at any point in the future. Magistrate decides as myself and Volvo man are there, case will proceed.

Man ties himself up in knots as he questions me on  what I saw, I am a 'creditable and very believable witness', man gets royally busted, Volvo man sends M&S vouchers in post with Thank You card. :thumbsup:

I see dumb drivers everyday! Today heading home I was stuck in traffic doing 45mph, there was a tractor unit in front of me with a 200 yard gap between him and the car in front. Some daft driver in an Audi tried to overtake in the opposite direction in this gap, the truck stood its ground and so did the transit pickup in the other lane whilst the Audi narrowly misses the tractor by a few feet

INDICATORS ... INDICATORS ... INDICATORS ....

ROUNDABOUTS ... ROUNDABOUTS ... ROUNDABOUTS ...

The main thing is to stay SAFE.

I have a relatively short commute - perhaps 4 miles, but includes 6 roundabouts and loads of lights.

Can't count the number of people who neither anticipate roundabouts, nor KEEP LOOKING as they're entering and leaving.

Main thing to consider is there's only one nut to avoid crushing, the one holding the wheel of your car - the rest just avoid and ignore.

Al.

Anyone notice how dark, and WET it was this evening on the return back from work?

Didn't seem to change 40% of the drivers with barely visible dark-coloured, often black cars and NO lights on!!

I was in my humble Civic diesel 2.2 in the outside lane at 40 in a 40 coming to a roundabout, as the wife informed me I needed to do a 180. Despite driving with the (VERY BRIGHT) HID headlights on, the stupid bi

I've seen a few good ones this week:

Numerous people in the left lane at a roundabout who go across the roundabout in a straight line, regardless of whether there might be someone they are about to collide with (me!) in the inside lane.

Going down a long, steep hill on the A30 dual carriageway in the outside lane at about 75 overtaking people in lane 1. Three cars pull onto the carriageway ahead of me doing about 60 mph, the one at the back indicates right to pull into the outside lane (with me rapidly approaching), stops indicating, and then pulls out anyway. Use your mirrors!

Someone moves into lane 2 (again on the A30), suddenly indicates left and dives across lane 1, over the ladders painted on the road just before the barrier starts, and in front of a car already on an exit slip road, just so they could take the exit they almost missed.

And one from a couple of weeks ago:

Someone in a lay-by at the side of the (you've guessed it!) A30, who decided that rather than waiting for a gap in the flow of traffic and then pulling out and accelerating up to 70, would actually just join the A30 at 20 mph regardless of what may be approaching, causing me to have to hit the brakes and swerve into lane 2 to avoid slamming into the back of them at 70 mph. Cretin!

Amazing!

Yet ........... Believable!!

You wonder why they bother taking their test in the 1st place!

No-one's infallible, and I'm sure I may have made the odd (minor) slip, but when you see what is really common practice on our roads, it is frightening!

Anyone want to start on Sunday morning's?

Weekdays after 10:00 AM then?

Got to be some gems there .... !!

Al.

I agree, we all make mistakes. I only passed my test in January so I certainly do, but I don't think I've ever done anything quite as dangerous as some of the stuff I see most days!

I'm considering getting a dash camera just in case one of the morons actually causes an accident one day!

My dad was one a trip with my grandad and a few others. They couldn't find the camp site as it was dark so just pitched their tents on the first bit of grass they found. My dad was mortified when he got out his tent the next morning to find they were had set up for the night on a roundabout.

• Like 1

Probably a combination of 2 morons and poor discipline by myself, but A1M, stupid woman out in 2nd lane doing 65, BMW behind me doing roughly the same speed (75-80), I pull out to lane 3 to get round stupid woman who can't use a motorway, check inside mirror to pull back , begin moving over, quick blindspot check at last minute before moving back into lane 1 only to find BMW driver undertook lane hogger and sped up, and was level with me.. Prick! 

Strange as it sounds, I much prefer to drive in rush hour with the captains of chaos - commuters. Alright, we're all doing 90 in a line about 15yrds apart but there's no gaps for any one to pull out into so you get a nice steady drive without constant braking without dawdling deidre deciding the 3rd lane is hers @ 50mph and everyone be damned. You're driving in a scrum and you drive accordingly. Contrast that to Sunday afternoons where anything can happen! Absolutely anything! In retrospect, sunday drivers are probably driving more in line with the 'proper' way but I sit there on motorways at the weekend thinking "It's clear you don't use motorways very often!". Middle/outside lane hogging is so much worse at the weekends - "I'm doing 70 so why should I not drive in the outside lane".

I think you'll find that farmer in the pickup caused that............

Don't get me wrong, some of the driving at commuter time is horrendous but you learn to spot the idiots speeding up the inside lane, weaving in and out to gain 1 car length etc and react accordingly. The weekends though, there's just no pattern to peoples behaviour, it's so random. There's a truck 300m ahead, there's someone coming down the outside lane much faster than me, best I get out in front of them because I'm being prepared and aren't aware enough to see nothing in the outside lane after this lone car. But it's okay, because my indicator flashed once before I moved out.

Okay, rant over, sorry.

Edited by Smoothybb
  • Like 1

alright youve broke the law using the hatchets as i call em but youve just avoided an accident that would of been deadly

Nope can enter the hatchings in an emergency no laws broken I would have if i had crossed over the solid white lines.

Hatched road markings

Hatched road markings or diagonal road markings can cause learner drivers a considerable amount of confusion. Hatched road markings have failed a considerable amount of driving tests due to a learner driver dealing with them inappropriately.

Hatched road markings are simply used to separate traffic for safety reasons. Many learner drivers try to avoid driving on them at all costs, when in reality if it's legal to do so, it can on many occasions be far safer to drive on the hatched markings.

This section explains the legality of hatched road markings and when it's best to drive on them.

The main rule to remember is that continuous solid white lines cannot be driven over, but broken white lines can. The images below offer a typical example where learner driver get into trouble during a driving test. Whether you can drive in a hatched area is dependent on if it is surrounded by a continuous solid white line or a broken one.

• 9 months later...

More roundabout lunacy.

Start crossing roundabout and notice car coming from other direction. No problem or so I thought as I'll be through before they're even half way round. WRONG !!! Idot decides to go the wrong way round. Slam on brakes. Idiot makes their right hand turn and caries on their way completely oblivious to the accident they so nearly caused.

I do wonder sometimes if some of the drivers I see have ever passed a test.

John

My foot hit the brakes the moment I saw them starting to turn so I stopped a metre short of hitting them broadside on. They didn't so much pull out as not stop as they entered the roundabout. At the time I couldn't believe they were turning straight across the front of me. I mean it was a small roundabout with a clear view right across and they must have been looking straight at me.

File that under stupidity knows no limits!!!

John