• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

sending car with lipo

carsonkev

The answer depends on the question...

1) Is it permissable to send LiPos with the car .... Answer. No for most carriers.

Royal Mail specifically exclude it, and that is why the Post Offices ask and then refuse. You can send batteries if htey are incorporated as part of the device...but that does not apply to RC cars. It applies to phones, tablets etc. where the batteries cannot easily be taken out. If the carriers terms and conditions allow you to send LiPos then it is fine. If they do not, and you do not disclose the facts, you can be in a lot of bother. The carrier may well have the right to destroy the item, and you get no compensation. Royal Mail specifically state that. You are deemed to have agreed to the carriers T&Cs by posting, so read them if you are in any doubt.

2) Can you send them....

Well, of course you can. Just so long as you don't get caught. Domestic mail isn;t routinely x-rayed or inspected, so the chances are nothing bad will happen. People point out HobbyKing send out LiPos via Royal Mail, when they shouldn't. As long as it doesn't get 'noticed' and nothing bad happens, all is well. You are going to get asked about the contents, and it's between you and your conscience what reply you give. Just be aware of where you stand if you either get found out, or your LiPo gets damaged in transit and vents in the back of some couriers van..... Losing your package may not be the only problem you face.

Yes you have to check with the carrier first before shipping LiPos as more and more of them are refusing to carry them.

Actually Royal Mail will ship LiPos, but only brand new ones from companies that have a contract with Royal Mail and have made an arrangement with them. Can't do it through a regular post office.

John

Edited by johninderby

i have posted a few cars with lipos in and all they ask is,

is it secured as it should be, ie like a battery on a laptop or mobile etc. if its fitted into its correct place then its fine but they do mark it as having lithium batteries included.

dont know if its different elsewhere but thats my local post office and coming direct from the post master there.......

BUT, always be honest as if would be expensive if the car got caught and you were out of pocket at the end of it.....

Either you came across someone who didn't know the regulations or perhaps didn't realise what a LiPo was as it is explicitly stated in the Royal Mail regulations that the post office counter staff are not permitted to accept a LiPo battery packed with something like an RC even if it is fitted inside the car. Every time I've mailed an RC car they ask if there are any batteries packed inside and will refuse to accept it if there are.

John

Edited by johninderby

It's one of those you'd probably get away with it 99.99% of the time things but still in the very unlikely event something did go wrong you would be held responsible. In future I just won't sell a car with a LiPo.

I had the same situation recently when I sold a car but ended up ordering a LiPo from HobbyKing and having them send it direct to the buyer. Cost me a few quid extra but the peace of mind was worth it.

John

Edited by johninderby

While the regs state a LiPo can be sent with an electronic device an RC car is not considered an electronic device and so LiPos aren't legal to ship with it. However if your local post office doesn't understand the regs properly they may very well let you ship a LiPo with an RC. They shouldn't and it would be interesting to see who would be liable if something did happen.

John

• Like 1

There are those who do and those who don't, same as pretty much everything, from marzipan, through marmite, plum tomatoes, quorn and chocolate covered ants to fat girls and fishing!

The law is the law (except in MegaCity 1, where of course Dredd is the law)! ;)

• Like 1

yes you can send a lipo with the post office as long as its attached in some way to what your sending 

just done this with a e revo brushless and no probs and that was 4 2s lipos (i only said 1 lol)

You most certainly CANNOT legally send a LiPo like that.

The Post Office are not the carrier, and have been given very clear guidance on what they can accept, but are ignoring it. This is potentially bad for them, and potentially bad for the sender.

If your package is destroyed....what are you going to do? Will the Post Office put their hand up and admit they got it wrong?

People also need to realise that Post Office Ltd are not the same company as Royal Mail. There are contractual links only. They are basically just selling a product, and by accepting items listed as danerous goods, they are miss-selling it. They should only accept LiPos that are fully enclosed in an electronic device, not ones held in by a velcro strap.....

I've read the briefing material they had.....and it's wording was quite specific.

• Like 1