• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Mayzie12's 100mph Hyper 7 Project

mayzie12

nowhere near enough space there!

I had a lowly 46 mph out of a hyper ST truggy. Still took a quiet smooth road on an industrial estate with no traffic to get it with confidence. You need space either side of the car, and space to run on, space to record the top speed if using GPS. I reckon I used at least 200m. 

If just  a speed car what about locked centre diff?

Im heading down to ROSSA for the actual speed attempt, also the centre diff will be locked for the attempt as ive got Bubbles old custom 25t spur which replaces the centre diff. The car is going to be used as a basher too, hence why im building a ESC protection cage at the moment :lol:

DSC_0190_zps1l5hcihp.jpg

Edited by mayzie12

Update time!

Velcro Straps arrived so the batteries can now be a lot more secure, also got my dogbones to fit the 25t spur, thanks to pieman there for measuring a few up :thumbsup:  Also started to make the cage for the ESC. Just going to be two bars bent over the top of the ESC, Have the first one made up and done, just sorting out the other one now and figuring out where it is going to go. Space is turning out to be at quite a premium in this thing. Sorted the diffs out too putting some 60k in the back and 30k in the front. Im getting some 500k stuff when im down there for the centre diff.

DSC_0233_zpsxkaciib0.jpg

Also got all my wheels and tyres for bashing. Had an issue with the glue i was using, it was industrial grade stuff i found in the garage, which im guessing came from my dads work. Was basically setting before i could get the tyre all the way on the rim, and being silly strong, the tyre got knackered trying to rescue it. After reading the label turns out it set in 5 seconds :lol:

DSC_0234_zps1fpipszd.jpg

Not much left to do now. Hopefully taking it to the kart track at the weekend as im racing then anyway, and should be able to have a few runs on 8s once the racing is finished for the day, other than that its just the shell to go. Have the paint and decals, just waiting on the shell to arrive!

are you going to lower the car if so how? As i was thinking about doing a crazy buggy speed project myself but realised it was first car time and needed to save up :) 

are you going to lower the car if so how? As i was thinking about doing a crazy buggy speed project myself but realised it was first car time and needed to save up :)

Have seen a few buggys lowered and its a nice look. If you put spacers on the inside of the pin to shorten them, that might work. But I`d maybe see about a rubber washer 1st, then start adding some spacing.

They make rubber bushings for skateboards, its a shame you cant pop a few of them inside the shock to shorten the pin. Would be ideal.

The shocks are on full preload, the joys of all the weight. I really should do with some harder springs. to lower it at the moment i would just reduce the preload, but with the GRP's on it will be lower anyways as they are a smaller tyre.

First Car is more important, trust me. These are the things it allows you to do :)

On my Hyper 7 to lower the ride height you just have to adjust the screws on the arms next to the diffs. Can't you just do that?

Another update. Had the car at the track for a 6s run. The result was two blown tyres :lol: The thing floated about like a baloon with them but ran reliably for a good while on the power which is what i am wanting for bashing. Dont think ill get an 8s run in before the event mainly due to my GRP's already being down there.

Also got the rest of the rollhoop made, just need to notch one of the bars then weld it up. Was hoping to not have to do this but the lack of space means the T-Bar arrangement is the only one i can fit it

DSC_0252_zpsyihsb7pw.jpg

Aaaaand the blown tyres

DSC_0253_zpsuaawqbus.jpg

Finally, got the shell mounted up. Seems to fit OK, just quite a large gap around the front wheels. Lets just say thats for "cooling" purposes.....

DSC_0257_zpsx5mwn7lt.jpg

DSC_0258_zpsxwmlpunr.jpg

As for the suspension, still looking around. Cant seem to find what your saying above slugsie

I think he is talking about the droop screws. Lowering the ride height with these is not a good idea. 

Yup, exactly what I'm talking about. Why isn't lowering the ride height with these a good idea? Genuine question, I want to know.

Yup, exactly what I'm talking about. Why isn't lowering the ride height with these a good idea? Genuine question, I want to know.

They are there to limit overall suspension travel, not to adjust ride height. In my less experienced days I used these to lower a touring car and actually ended up snapping the rear arms through the force of the springs. They put alot of pressure on a very concentrated part of the arm.

They also effect handling in a big way too.

The only proper way to adjust the ride height is either shim the shock or use the preload adjusters. Or if that isnt enough, just use shorter shocks. 

Sooooo, got the shell painted up and stickered today. Done my usual livery of JPS with other stickers everywhere :lol:

Also got the rollbar welded up, should be getting that drilled and tapped monday then fitted tuesday, after that the car is ready to go, unless i have forgotten anything

DSC_0260_zps0r6k35ge.jpg

DSC_0261_zpsdu233nbi.jpg

Got the rollbar done today and fitted. Pretty pleased with it, welded the T bit a bit too far forwards but seems to be fine for protecting the ESC which is what i want. Still got the centre diff oil and some springs to fit but im getting them down at the event.

DSC_0265_zpsyenxoaqx.jpg

DSC_0266_zpshj6yfxkw.jpg

Looking good, so your basically ready for the event now?

Thanks.

Pretty much. I did make a monumental cock up though :lol:

Forgot about how big the motor actually was as running with that small 25t Spur, clearance becomes a real issue. Enough of an issue to make a 34t pinion the smallest i can run with!

This pretty much leaves me with two gearing options for 8s 34/46 or 34/25. And on the latter for running 6s

Will you be attempting THE jump?

Not in its current state as it has literally no suspension. If i can get some stronger springs and get a bit of ride height into it then i might do it. Slash will definitely be going over though :lol:

• Like 1

UPDATE:

Right, fantastic couple of days at ROSSA.

Had a few problems but managed to work around them with the help of some good people and ran 102.54MPH! That was on 8 cells, on 6 i managed just over 79MPH.

Overall a great weekend with awesome people.

Will update with pictures and much more info when i get home Tuesday night/ Wednesday

Edited by mayzie12
  • Like 2

• 5 years later...
32 minutes ago, Scotty97 said:

I know this is an old thread, but you mention you drew the motor mount on CAD.

any chance you still have this on file?

He hasn't been on here in a while so you're probably better off sending him a PM (private message) to see if he gets notified of that via his private email, ...just might get you a quicker response that way. ;)