• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Maverick ion rtr, can you use 2s lipo

big turbo

Upgrade to brushless. The 1/18th scale motor and esc combo from hobbyking isn't massively expensive. You will need a receiver though as you will probably need to remove the combine esc/receiver to make room.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I got it cheap off the bay it's only to mess about with in the garden so don't wanna spend to much but knowing me it will be BL by the end of the month lol

• Like 2

How does the gears and diffs hold up with lipo and BL. for $35 mite just go for it as I do have a spare rx and tx. Do you need to change servo??

I changed the servo in ours but I didn't realise at the time it wasn't attached to the esc/receiver (doh). But it was only a few dollars extra and now I have a spare.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Ion MT is great I got one for my son.

I know MSUK are out of the at the mo and I'm not surprised.

Found this though-same thing but Brushless. (Not sure if the equipment is any good as I'm new to all this!)

http://www.rchobbyestore.co.uk/rc-trucks-c13/rc-truggies-c24/himoto-himoto-centro-brushless-truggy-1-18th-scale-4wd-rc-truggy-p717

• 2 years later...

Dead topic but you can run a 2S 1000 Lipo with the stock set up and it is a wicked improvement.  I am running this on mine with no issues.  You will however need to buy a Lipo alarm so that the cell voltage doesn't drop without warning.  Only cost a couple of quid mind you.  

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...
28 minutes ago, Ralyant said:

Can you run a 1s lipo to slow it down? my boy is aloud to play RC cars at school, they are all into it at the moment. but its too fast for school use on 2s.

I very much doubt 1s would work as there's not enough voltage to power any of the electronics

• 3 years later...
On 22/08/2016 at 16:58, Peachy27 said:

Dead topic but you can run a 2S 1000 Lipo with the stock set up and it is a wicked improvement.  I am running this on mine with no issues.  You will however need to buy a Lipo alarm so that the cell voltage doesn't drop without warning.  Only cost a couple of quid mind you.  

Cheers! That's the CORRECT answer! Thank you for that! Beat me to it!

I know old post but Google is date blind so old posts come up as new information for many that search. So trolls stop bashing for posting on old topics! (Nobody here, just in general, 😂)

Anyways:

For a cheep but cheerful, (easily faster than my 4700kv 2040 BL motor) I added ONLY a brushed red anodized ChiHai 7.4v 50,000rpm 370 ball bearing motor from AliExpress. It was only $8GBP shipped and arrived in the states in 10 days. It DRASTICALLY improved power, torque & top speed was ridiculous in my Maverick iON XB! I had to force cram the same  make & model motor into my XK 1/28 k989, but again it drastically improved performance! No ESC upgrades (except cap in the k989, more later) , no battery changes, no new radio or servo or alloy parts, and no lipo alarms, just a lil high performance ChiHai 370 brushed and the cars came alive. I have two 1/28 XK k989 cars, one has a 7500kv 1510 BL and the k989 with the  brushed ChiHai is so much faster and more powerful.

I did upgrade the Capacitor in the k989's stock 2in1 RX/ESC to a 470 microfarad, but that's because it would have voltage drop and slow the car down every 20 or 30 seconds. That was an extra $2.70GBP.

Hope this helps anyone wanting to upgrade, it's a direct drop in upgrade for the Maverick. No drilling or different screws or pinions.

Put the motor heatsink on, and the motor and ESC stay cool, maybe barely warm.

20230514_232609.jpg