• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Shumacher lc racing EMB-1

silone74

14 minutes ago, champ222 said:

Will do mate, thanks

Ive measured the buggy wheels that came with the LC12B1 kit to have a 7.5mm offset at the rear, and a 5.2mm offset at the front, so 6mm seems about right for touring car wheels that are the same width front and back.

Ive just measured the truggy wheels to have an offset of approx -1.6mm 

Its hard to find wheels with the offsets listed. The truggy wheels are approximately 10th scale buggy sized wheels. Of the 10 or so buggy wheels i clicked on on modelsport, none stated the offset. even if there is clearly an offset on the wheel, still not listed. 

Ive had similar issues before, i got some new old stock proline truggy tyres for my 1/8th truggy, finding wheels for them was a nightmare! i wanted to know if i could find wheels before i bought the tyres, as they are all bigger wheels with low profile tyres these days. I had the part number of the tyres, but from that, i couldnt find the wheel diameter and width that would fit, nor could i find the width of the wheels on sale. It was such a pain, i got there in the end but i did end up with a set of wheels i'll proabably now never find tyres to fit. Considering how easy it would be for them to list list diameter, width and offset, rather than "fits blah blah blah", its very annoying. Even on third party wheel and tyre manufacturer websites, still nothing.

As an example, i fancied some of contact RC foams:

https://www.racing-cars.com/wheels-tyres/on-road-tyres/brand-brand=contact-rc/on-road-tyres-class=1-10th-touring/

33 odd results for 10th scale touring cars. fronts and rears, so presumably wider rears. i will presume the diameter is as per a 1/0th touring, and assume a 12mm hex, but i dont know for sure. no offset information either.  They couldnt be bothered to respond to my message, so perhaps they haven't a clue.

its all so completely unnecessarily vague. Its like selling bolts without stating the length or the thread.

Anyway, ive a new problem now, i dropped an E clip from the shocks. none in the "spares" bag (that would be too easy) and it seems they are a stupid size, so cant just by 10 for a quid on ebay.  

...sigh...

Thanks for that, very useful info, and much appreciated. 

I contracted CML recently regarding Fastrax wheels which might fit the truggy, and to be fair, the chap that I spoke with asked me the size and offset etc. As I don't yet have the car I couldn't confirm, but the info you provided should help 👍

A few more Qs on wheel fitment if I may:

• Do we have a list of 'after-market' wheels that are known to fit the truggy without any modifications?
  • I've heard mention of adding extenders or adaptors to enable a wider range of wheel fitments. What are these and what are people using? 
  • What wheels (with the addiiton of an extender/adaptor work with the truggy?
  • Do the offsets differ front to rear?
  • Would the wheels from the other LC range fit i.e. SCT, Buggy, MT?

The MT wheels/tyres look like a possible/quick/easy win for a little more robust offroad/grass use, unless offset is an issue with the truggy? I suppose gearing might be an issue given the larger wheels? Apologies, I'm obviously not particularly experienced in this field 😉

On the subject of the difference in motor spec between models that I raised in an earlier comment, I spoke with Darren at DMS and he comnfirmed the following:

• Buggy, SCT, MT, DT, WRC - All use the smaller 2840 motor.
  • Truggy - Uses the longer 2850 motor.

The truggy is apparantly the 'heavier' of 3 and has larger wheels than the buggy, SCT, DT, WRC (the MT whilst having the largest wheels is based upon the smaller chassis, so lighter)

The truggy wheels are available from dms and are cheap enough. I bought some with some grp tyres and foams. There are some mentioned way back in the thread that should fit. Whether you can still get them now, i dont know. I doubt you'd find any offset info though, see my bitching about that above lol.

Lc racing make some hex extenders, though i would assume any 12mm hex extenders would work. There was some suggestions in the thread that hex extensions are bad, due to added strwss on parts and the lc wheels with the offset is better.  Personally i struggle to see why an extension and a standard buggy wheel would be any different to an lc truggy wheel without, assuming the wheel relative to the hub is the same. If the stance ends up wider, theb yeah i get it, but it works out the same, i cant see it. But these guys have more experience than me for sure.

I bought the lc12b1 kit and it came with the 50mm long motor. While i was still choosing what to do, I asked dms to check in the kit as there was some suggestion in the spec it came with the tenshock motor. He came back saying the lc12b1 came with the 2838 (or 2840 i think he calls it). So he didn't check and just said what hw thought. Ive seen photos of the car with both though. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks, and you're right, they are cheap enough from DMS. It was really to allow for more alternative options, and a little pimpage (alternative style) I also queried this with DMS and they didn't know what the offset was, as LC Racing apparently doesn't disclose that info... 

Re the motor, again I queried spares availability with DMS and it appears that they only carry the smaller 2840 can, which suggests that a replacement might only happen via a warranty claim (not sure how successful that would be) or it would be a case of sourcing an alternative. 

On that note, what have we found to be the largest motor (comfortable, not crammed in) to fit, and also what kv rating? I'm thinking more along the lines of maintaining as close to original spec as possible and decent torque etc. 

It appears that the buggy is the easiest to cater for all round, although my preference is still for the truggy. 

Edited by Rebel158

Spotted the following 2845 motor on 'Banggood' (I think someone linked to it earlier) which  comes in an impressive choice of kv:  2600kv,  2800kv,  3100kv,  3800kv,  3930kv,  4370kv,  5000kv,  5900kv

https://uk.banggood.com/Racerstar-2845-Motor-Brushless-Waterproof-Sensorless-5900-or-4370-or-3930-or-2800KV-1-or-12-1-or-14-RC-Car-Part-p-1112738.html?cur_warehouse=CN&ID=511866&rmmds=search

Reviews appears to be favourable, and only £10.83 a pop (plus £1.17 shipping) Has anyone tried one of these? If so, how does it broadly compare to the factory 2850 unit that comes with the truggy? In terms of a spare backup to the factory item it would be the 4370kv? Any others worth considering for a little variety using 2s and 3s?

Also spotted their 60a esc (60a/320a burst) - £21.81 plus £1.28 shipping

https://uk.banggood.com/Racerstar-60A-ESC-Brushless-Waterproof-Sensorless-With-Fan-1-or-10-RC-Car-Part-p-1116663.html?cur_warehouse=CN&rmmds=search

16 hours ago, Ag100 said:

Made up some rear mud/Arm guards out of some 1.5mm carbon sheet. @Alex97made me some 3D printed ones, so I used those as a template

DBA5F454-861B-43AD-BFA4-DD813FA07D73.jpeg

C7D50B18-3133-44C1-A3F2-D9FF739F8A0F.jpeg

6D61705F-6424-491A-9B2C-1640300A3840.jpeg

D501317E-D37D-4EDF-A1C8-126A00CBF2BA.jpeg

A02E50C1-BB7B-41C3-8C06-A30B4441CF44.jpeg

7E8B9F94-5336-4857-9B9D-9271C806645E.jpeg

69549231-8E76-4A94-9BF4-0FF88BD227AC.jpeg

Very neat and tidy effort there! Genuinely thought those were production items at first glance 👍

• Thanks 1

Has anyone got s chassis skin for their LC12B1? Tkr graphics have the chassis listed. Stock skins are about 5 quid i think, or a custom one can be made for an additional 15 quid. You only have to pay that once though, so we could do a group buy or something if we could agree on a design? Or maybe someone has done a design already?

It only seems to be for the lc12b1 chassis, though its possible it could fit the lwb chassis with a few tweaks

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, champ222 said:

Has anyone got s chassis skin for their LC12B1? Tkr graphics have the chassis listed. Stock skins are about 5 quid i think, or a custom one can be made for an additional 15 quid. You only have to pay that once though, so we could do a group buy or something if we could agree on a design? Or maybe someone has done a design already?

It only seems to be for the lc12b1 chassis, though its possible it could fit the lwb chassis with a few tweaks

That's a good call. Sadly I'm going for 1/14 truggy, so that rules me out... On that note, does anyone know of a standard skin that will fit the truggy chassis? 

38 minutes ago, champ222 said:

You could just make your own, I just bought a roll of vehicle vinyl wrap from eBay and cut it to fit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Maiden voyage of the LC12B1 today.

all in all a good run, but ive had enough of the flysky radio gear and the range issues. 

Nice performance on 2s. 3s was quicker, but it wasnt quite the jump i was expecting. Due to the range issues though, i wasnt driving it too fast. shredded a set of old worn tyres

A cool little car indeed.

IMG-20210401-WA0000.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 27/07/2020 at 10:06, jimbulsara said:

I disassembled the differential  again and assembled it and the diff was fine. i really dont know why when you put it with the input gear in the gear you get that section of stifness.  I have put grease and assembled the gearbox regardless. It is a bit better but still if you turn slowly enough you can feel there is a bit of stiffness in one section.  I hope it irons itself out after the first run, I will test it and then see... 
Really annoying... 

I was wondering if you’d ironed this out? I’m currently building the LC12B1 kit and have found the same thing when building both the front and rear suspension set ups. It’s almost like the tighter I screw down the diff case, the worse it gets? 

Also I was hoping for some general advice: any recommendations for a motor and esc combo? I was planning to get a dumbo x6 from banggood so im not adverse to getting my other electronics from there either. My original intention was to get the Tenshock 6150kv from DMS but they’re still out of stock. However I’m looking for speed and running on 3s, so I’d imagine I should be aiming for something around 3000kv anyway? 

Cheers.

On 03/07/2021 at 14:54, Jam_up said:

Also I was hoping for some general advice: any recommendations for a motor and esc combo? I was planning to get a dumbo x6 from banggood so im not adverse to getting my other electronics from there either. My original intention was to get the Tenshock 6150kv from DMS but they’re still out of stock. However I’m looking for speed and running on 3s, so I’d imagine I should be aiming for something around 3000kv anyway? 

Cheers.

I’ve gone with a HobbyWing WP-16BL30 and a 3100kv Surpas Hobby platinum 2845 for my truggy build. But I’m not sure how well that would match up with your intentions. 

A lot of people seem to be happy putting 3S packs through the stock 4500kv motors in the EMB, often using the bigger 10BL60 (non waterproof) esc, to get up to about 50mph. So if speed is your thing 3000kv might be a little on the low side, even with a 3S battery. 

I haven’t actually got my hands on my truggy kit yet (still waiting for it to ship from DMS) but I am happily running a very similar set up to the one I lasted above in my XLF F16 with 2S and 3S packs for general off road bashing (this is a 3000kv motor with slightly different gearing to the EMB).  The surpas motor feels a lot smoother ( much less clogging) than the one in my F16 but I guess I’ll still have to wait to see how it goes in the kit once that turns up. They can be had in quite a few different speed ratings if you are struggling to find anything else suitable in stock just now. 

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqrpfu1

Edited by BigGinge
Motor link
  • Thanks 1

I have run the 6850/6150 Tenshock s with the Hobbywing 10bl60, on both 2s and 3s, been very impressed, just for the hell of it I now have the 10bl120 Esc in it, but not had a chance to run it properly yet.

lost of others have had plenty of success with the Surpass motors. 

Edited by Ag100
  • Thanks 1

On 04/07/2021 at 22:39, BigGinge said:

I’ve gone with a HobbyWing WP-16BL30 and a 3100kv Surpas Hobby platinum 2845 for my truggy build. But I’m not sure how well that would match up with your intentions. 

A lot of people seem to be happy putting 3S packs through the stock 4500kv motors in the EMB, often using the bigger 10BL60 (non waterproof) esc, to get up to about 50mph. So if speed is your thing 3000kv might be a little on the low side, even with a 3S battery. 

I haven’t actually got my hands on my truggy kit yet (still waiting for it to ship from DMS) but I am happily running a very similar set up to the one I lasted above in my XLF F16 with 2S and 3S packs for general off road bashing (this is a 3000kv motor with slightly different gearing to the EMB).  The surpas motor feels a lot smoother ( much less clogging) than the one in my F16 but I guess I’ll still have to wait to see how it goes in the kit once that turns up. They can be had in quite a few different speed ratings if you are struggling to find anything else suitable in stock just now. 

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqrpfu1

On 05/07/2021 at 00:00, Ag100 said:

I have run the 6850/6150 Tenshock s with the Hobbywing 10bl60, on both 2s and 3s, been very impressed, just for the hell of it I now have the 10bl120 Esc in it, but not had a chance to run it properly yet.

lost of others have had plenty of success with the Surpass motors. 

Thanks both - much appreciated.

DMS have suggested the Tenshock 6150 isn’t going to be in stock any time soon so the Surpass motors look like the ideal option. I’d be very happy with ~50 mph - anything more and I’d imagine the drivetrain will struggle. 

Just need to figure out the slight roughness in the diffs now. I’m probably going to rebuild them before running! 

47 minutes ago, Jam_up said:

Thanks both - much appreciated.

DMS have suggested the Tenshock 6150 isn’t going to be in stock any time soon so the Surpass motors look like the ideal option. I’d be very happy with ~50 mph - anything more and I’d imagine the drivetrain will struggle. 

Just need to figure out the slight roughness in the diffs now. I’m probably going to rebuild them before running! 

Might be worth shimming them, I didn’t have to on mine, but I know others have had to.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

There is someone on etsy selling carbon chassis plates for the longer wheel base models (truggy, SCT, Desert Buggy, raly etc.) but I can't remember seeing one for the shorter buggy platform.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/817784726/lc-racing-carbon-fiber-chassis-sct-rally