• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Too old for "toys"

tribbles

Often my "lad" mates poke fun at the hobby from a far. And then they see the size of the 1:5th scale and are teeming with questions about it and want to see it run....

I had my 5th delivered to work and everyone in the office asked to see it. I remember one girl exclaimed "for the price of that I could of bought a handbag".  :whistling:

Is her handbag powered by a 26cc 2 stroke?

Odd isn't it - When I play with my 1:1 Land Rovers - that is OK - 

When I run my SCX-10 that is a toy.

Broken Shocks, busted springs, incorrect meshing of gears, body work torn, steering bent...

Same things happen to both vehicles from doing pretty much the same things......

im 22 and even my family and friends say im too old to play with "toy" cars! the annoying thing is some of them play warhammer and model railways and they get upset when you say the same thing about their hobbies!!

at the age of 20 , i get accused of playing around with toys for kids, :(

errm excuse me, the box clearly states this is not a toy,

and im sure a kid would be in danger by playing with these 'toys' if they dont know what there doing, 

toy grade rc, from argos, etc, is another thing altogther :P

I would like to see a "kid" afford one of these "toys". 

I'd imagine they're out there though. Plenty of kids with their own horses and other expensive stuff.

I get away with it , I'm 16 :lol: 

We do have some funny comments when out trailing and you have to hold back from saying owt .

My Motto is , "Don't like it , **** off "  :xd:

Mostly from the older types when there is only my Dad and I.

Jack.

Of course, you guys with Monster Trucks need to grow up.

;)

Won't - so there!!! :harhar:

Anyway, I have 14 Buggies as well!

Edited by Shudson

just read through this thread an I gotta just say that 99.9% of the time the people who comment with stuff like 'your too old' etc are the exact same people that have things in there life they want to do but don't dare or don't due to worry over what others think!

I have the same problem with all this with my RC stuff and with my tattoos - recently (in last 2 years) had a full sleeve done and chest plate - a few people have said stuff about it in a negative way, turns out their the exact people that have always wanted a tattoo but never dared......

growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

in referance to the kids not being able to afford a toy such as these i would like to say that while many can't there are afew that try.

my first hobby rc was bought at the age of 15, mum and step dad wouldn't buy one out right so i had been saving every penny from pocket money, chore money, bday, xmas etc. from starting to save to building my new savage 25 ss took me 6-8 months.

• Like 1

41yr old and still can ride the halfpipe on skateboard - bmx , fly quads , make model aircraft and boats to.

what they forget is when this digital world goes belly up , and it will stuff breaks, gets fried by EMB's.

and machines nolonger workk, they will turn to us the modelers and tinkers that still use the old ways.

only reason i cant now is the bad ticker

I was in model shop last week and i saw one person age 16[?] buying plastic model [military i think... airplain that was...] rest of the people i saw there were about 45-50+... they were geting some materials etc... and me 27 XD 

I think its hard to find those days young people playing with rc... becouse they have computers, games, iphones and all that kind of s$%t... 

what they forget is when this digital world goes belly up , and it will stuff breaks

i'd expect the world leaders will nuke everyone, in which case it propably wouldn't matter how well you can tinker